Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2018 13:34
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Actually it is.
PaperVinnie wrote:
Rock and Roll is a very simple and straightforward rock song. Never understood what the big deal is there.
Again, you're 17 my child. Give it time.
PaperVinnie wrote:
I like Stairway and have it ranked in their top 20, but it's still overplayed.
I agree with you on that note.
PaperVinnie wrote:
I'm not trying to take away from this album.
Yes you are. You've bitched about it for a whole paragraph.

Actually, "Rock and Roll" is best suited to a 17 year old. That's the first one to outgrow as one matures.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2018 17:29
  • Post subject:
Familiarity breeds indifference - the album

When I look at this album, I kind of have to try and step back to take a look at it.

Most of the songs on here have been played to death. I mean, in movies, on the radio, Chevy commercials, literally everywhere.

But when I think of this album, I try to think of it how 16-year-old me thought of it when I first heard it. I remember listening to it incessantly, listening to Stairway over and over and over again, listening to Rock and Roll a billion times, Going to California, When the Levee Breaks, all of it.

Now if I'm listening to the radio and Rock and Roll comes on, I might change it. Or I might passively listen and not crank it up or get psyched about it. But I remember how floored I was by this album, how much I loved it and obsessed over it.

I still love it, but not with the fervor I had years ago. But I'll still acknowledge it's an amazing album. It's not their best, in my opinion, I think that belongs to their debut, but it's still fantastic, even if it's almost cliche to say so at this point.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
PaperVinnie

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2018 18:14
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
You've bitched about it for a whole paragraph.

Why do you care? Yes I’m just a 17 year old, as far as I’m concerned I’m still entitled to my opinion and I don’t know why you feel the need to correct me. If you disagree, that’s 100% fine, but actually make an argument instead of just calling me wrong. Who does that help?
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/25/2018 19:28
  • Post subject:
A truly great album no doubt, but not my favourite LZ album. Still, Stairway and Levee are probably their best 2 tracks and not many albums can claim to have 2 absolute masterpiece songs on them.
I was never crazy about first 2 tracks, but they are rock classics and not without reason, just not something I madly love. Tracks 5 & 6 bring this album down and prevent it from being my fave LZ. It's never good when you have 2 worst songs back to back.
Going To California is beautiful.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2018 20:15
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Actually, "Rock and Roll" is best suited to a 17 year old. That's the first one to outgrow as one matures.

Depends on your taste.

PaperVinnie wrote:
Yes I’m just a 17 year old, as far as I’m concerned I’m still entitled to my opinion and I don’t know why you feel the need to correct me. If you disagree, that’s 100% fine, but actually make an argument instead of just calling me wrong. Who does that help?

The only thing I called you wrong about was when you said 'It's not their most representative album.' To which I said "Actually it is." If you want me to build a case for that, here it goes:

Led Zeppelin was a diverse, eclectic band. They receive credit for being pioneers of hard rock and early metal, but their body of work also derived from blues, acoustic, folk, funk, Middle Eastern music. And on Zeppelin IV, the band worked so many of these sounds and song structures into one encompassing, cohesive whole. To me, that makes it their most representative album. Although I can definitely see the case for Physical Graffiti.

As for the age comment, there's music I hated when I was a teenager that I love today, and vice-versa. So when I read your "I'll legitimately never understand..." comments, all I could do was laugh. Now, maybe you will never understand. Maybe you're 17 and you're gonna hold the same opinions on songs/albums for the rest of your life. That's possible. And if so, that's fine. But by claiming "you'll never understand..." implies that you believe your music tastes are never gonna evolve, and you'll never someday reflect and perhaps have a change of heart and mind about something. That's where I have an issue. If you still think in 10 years that Zeppelin IV is, in your words, "incredibly overrated," fine. At least you've allowed it age by that point. But for now, you're 17 and yes you're entitled your opinion. But that [hopefully] doesn't mean your opinions are never gonna change.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2018 01:42
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Familiarity breeds indifference - the album

When I look at this album, I kind of have to try and step back to take a look at it.

Most of the songs on here have been played to death. I mean, in movies, on the radio, Chevy commercials, literally everywhere.

But when I think of this album, I try to think of it how 16-year-old me thought of it when I first heard it. I remember listening to it incessantly, listening to Stairway over and over and over again, listening to Rock and Roll a billion times, Going to California, When the Levee Breaks, all of it.

Now if I'm listening to the radio and Rock and Roll comes on, I might change it. Or I might passively listen and not crank it up or get psyched about it. But I remember how floored I was by this album, how much I loved it and obsessed over it.

I still love it, but not with the fervor I had years ago. But I'll still acknowledge it's an amazing album. It's not their best, in my opinion, I think that belongs to their debut, but it's still fantastic, even if it's almost cliche to say so at this point.

I'd have to agree with all of this.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2018 01:46
  • Post subject:
Also, maybe some word choices could be changed with vinnie's arguement, but as much as I love you StreetSpirit and agree that Vinnie will gain more and more perspective - as does anyone as they age, I'd have to agree that (as you can see from my ratings posted previously) IV isn't their best album.

Culturally why it's in highest regards I can see... I think that's when they became world wide famous, etc. Just makes sense that it'd be recognized by so many as their favorite.

Plus Going to California gets 20k song points... clearly weighting it as their best album... hehe.
  • Visit poster's website