Forum moderators

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/19/2011 15:12
  • Post subject: Forum moderators
I originally posted something over a year ago about having some more forum moderators here on BEA and nobody came forward to volunteer, but I've belatedly seen the fall-out from another post elsewhere on the board and it's clear I just can't keep on top of it. I just don't have enough time to read through every single post AND look after the rest of the site.

Moderator responsibilities:
So, with the above in mind, I think we need three more moderators to help keep things in check and to help ensure that all our members have a FUN experience on the site without things getting too heated/personal etc and to help enforce the site rules which are being clearly abused.

Over time, additional functionality might be added for moderators, but I intend to just start here on the forums since it is here (mainly) that most of the interaction seems to take place.

On the forums, moderators will be able to delete posts (e.g. spam, or posts against our terms of service), move topics (if not posted in the correct area), close/lock discussions (if they've run their course) and edit the content of individual postings (if the content is against the site rules).

If there is a situation where a moderator feels further action needs to be taken such as banning a user, it's best that the moderators PM me to make the final call. (Of course, other people can still PM me too as well).

Selection process:
In terms of personality, it is important that moderators are friendly and they need to be able to stand a back a bit and see the bigger picture and not yet caught up in the heat of the moment! By all means, have fun and join the debate but it's important that moderators lead by example.

So, I think the selection process for the new moderators will be like this:

1. PM me if you would like to come forward as a potential moderator. Please only volunteer if you are reasonably active on the site and (preferably) registered for over six months and (ideally) with 'Superstar' or 'Legend' rank.

2. Once sufficient time has elapsed for people to come forward (say, one week), we will then post the shortlist of candidates.

3. To make the process fair, we will then have a vote on which members (ideally, from different time-zones to cover the 24hr clock) you would like to see as forum moderators.

Sorry if this process seems over the top, I just want to be fair and transparent and for the right people to be selected. If subsequent to being selected, a person decides to withdraw, we will repeat the above process to select new/replacement moderators. (Also, I reserve the right to revoke moderator access in the case that the user abuses their powers, becomes inactive etc.)

albummaster
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 08/19/2011 21:42
  • Post subject:
Great idea, I'm in favor of official castrators and spayors, mandatory spay-neuter laws, member control and shelters, forced sterilization, hysterectomies and oophorectomies for all offenders without due process or warnings. That will teach them! Applause
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/19/2011 21:49
  • Post subject:
Oh shut it RFnaples, this is to stop trolls and people who are being dicks without reason, quit getting all paranoid.
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 08/19/2011 21:52
  • Post subject:
Castrate them! Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/19/2011 21:57
  • Post subject:
Also what's with you and castrating? This some weird fetish of yours?
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 08/19/2011 22:05
  • Post subject:
itsit wrote:
Oh shut it RFnaples, this is to stop trolls and people who are being dicks without reason, quit getting all paranoid.

Castration will prevent those "dicks" from producing future BEA members! They could then form their own BEA (best eunuch association).
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/19/2011 22:14
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
itsit wrote:

Castration will prevent those "dicks" from producing future BEA members! They could then form their own BEA (best eunuch association).

Oh, if you mean that by all this castration talk than why not.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 08/20/2011 04:27
  • Post subject:
if I were a moderator both of you would be kicked off for indecency and disrespect
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/20/2011 05:58
  • Post subject:
People should be able to express their opinion, but do it in a way that does not insult other people. I think the forums would be a more pleasant place for everybody if that happened.
  • Visit poster's website