Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 938, 939, 940 ... 980, 981, 982  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/10/2018 20:02
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:
Am I missing Hex Enduction Hour??? Surely it's on there.

This Nation's Saving Grace is The Fall album they chose.

I don't think it's a 1 album per artist list Chief Neutral There's 4 Prince albums in the top 35 alone.

And I might have miscounted, but I think there's 3 Madonna, Metallica and Springsteen albums apiece too.

Ah well. Def think BEA could whip up something better.

EDIT: Only 2 from Metallica.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/10/2018 21:03
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
This Nation's Saving Grace is The Fall album they chose. It's good, but it's not Grotesque or Hex

This. Heck, Slates and Perverted By Language are better than THSG. Fucking sacrilege.

Then again, the Jamaican selections aren't too bad (Tenor Saw, Horace Andy, Yellowman, Ini Kamoze, Scientist, the obligatory Marley LP). But the lack of One, Two is a major omission. Would have thought at least one more dub LP would have made the cut too.

Can't remember seeing Street Songs in there, which would be a shame. And what sort of 80s chart could possibly be any good without a bit of Roger...?

The Many Facets Of Roger by Roger
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2018 21:31
  • Post subject:
Many valid critiques of the list. That being said, I haven't come across any major music publication with better decade lists than Pitchfork. Anyone have some that you like better? Would be interested to check them out.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 09/10/2018 21:38
  • Post subject:
I liked that it had For Olim and Prime Time, but then I realized this is probably because they both died recently as there's nothing else related in the list
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2018 23:15
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
This. Heck, Slates and Perverted By Language are better than THSG. Fucking sacrilege.

Then again, the Jamaican selections aren't too bad (Tenor Saw, Horace Andy, Yellowman, Ini Kamoze, Scientist, the obligatory Marley LP). But the lack of One, Two is a major omission. Would have thought at least one more dub LP would have made the cut too.

Can't remember seeing Street Songs in there, which would be a shame. And what sort of 80s chart could possibly be any good without a bit of Roger...?

The Many Facets Of Roger by Roger

I need to tackle that album. This is also coming from an individual who loves Roger Troutman. I'd argue in certain ways, he was better than Prince.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/11/2018 14:30
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:

I didn't see Hex either. Need to check again for Remain in light as I totally missed that one Shocked

Did not expect to see so much Janet Jackson and Madonna. Interesting choices at least...

Yeah, Hex's missing Neutral

And Remain In Light is at #5, no worries. Once I passed Daydream Nation I actually thought they might nudge it up to #1.

Oh, there it is at #5! That makes more sense. I must have lost focus once I go to the top ten!

Yeah, I thought Remain in Light would be number one. I guess Purple rain is probably as good as any choice for the top spot, particularly on a pop orientated list.

Last edited by theblueboy on 09/11/2018 14:43; edited 1 time in total
theblueboy

• Posted: 09/11/2018 14:41
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Many valid critiques of the list. That being said, I haven't come across any major music publication with better decade lists than Pitchfork. Anyone have some that you like better? Would be interested to check them out.

Totally agree on the quality of Pitchforks lists. I like this list despite the surprising omissions and cant think of a better one. It's boldly 80s and pretty diverse. There's some superficial and gaudy pop albums in there and they haven't just gone for safe critic-friendly albums.

I like the stance they are taking even though I don't like that many albums on the list.

Love that they include Lets Dance and Tango in the Night. They are not always critic-proof albums but I have listened to them soooo many times, which must count for something Smile
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/11/2018 17:14
  • Post subject:
I've heard a couple Madonna albums, but never spun her debut until today...

It's... not her best Neutral The fact they have it right about Sign O The Times is... questionable.

Have to admit, really digging the Nuno Canavarro and the Yellowman records. Two excellent discoveries from the list.

Quote:
Totally agree on the quality of Pitchforks lists. I like this list despite the surprising omissions and cant think of a better one. It's boldly 80s and pretty diverse. There's some superficial and gaudy pop albums in there and they haven't just gone for safe critic-friendly albums.

I'm going to say the best 80's list by a publication is possibly their old one which they've since deleted Laughing But yeah, there's definitely a lot worse out there.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 09/11/2018 19:57
  • Post subject:
I'm just gonna say it: I was extolling the virtues of Diamond Life long before any other white people my age were. Pitchfork watches nezzle's charts.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 09/17/2018 19:50
  • Post subject:
"Without true love we just exist, Alfie!"