Considering Classic Status- Can Time Affect A Score?

View previous topic :: View next topic
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2018 15:53
  • Post subject: Considering Classic Status- Can Time Affect A Score?
This is probably a question that has been asked in many ways before, but the thought came to mind the other night.

When I discover an album I like quite a bit and find myself listening to regularly, it's exciting. It's a bit of a science to rate it. Not saying I have a fancy way of rating albums but I do consider a number of things before scoring.

When you drop the needle or press play on a record from 1958, 1971, or 1986 do you have different expectations for it than an album that came out last week? This is by no means a "music isn't what it used to be" post, in fact I think this year has been pretty astounding for new music, what I'm asking is do older albums that may already have a "Classic" label to them or have generally positive reviews overall get a different type of treatment either consciously or subliminally when it comes to scoring? Should we be able to add hypothetical points to an older record just because it has stood the test of time or sounds as good if not better than albums like it coming out now? To put it another way, are these even things you consider when rating a song or an album or do you just take the quality of the music into account?

Hopefully my presentation of those questions was relatively succinct. This is my first thread in a while Laughing

Hope to hear from you all very soon!
Yann

France

• Posted: 09/19/2018 18:50
  • Post subject:
I'm less thrilled before listening to unknown records, but, when listening, pretty much impartial whether it's known or unknown
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2018 19:07
  • Post subject: Re: Considering Classic Status- Can Time Affect A Score?
AAL2014 wrote:
When you drop the needle or press play on a record from 1958, 1971, or 1986 do you have different expectations for it than an album that came out last week?

Yes, because when I listen to classic albums for the first time, the albums already have a reputation which changes my expectations. I don't get that with new albums because they have no reputation, thus I have no expectations.

AAL2014 wrote:
do older albums that may already have a "Classic" label to them or have generally positive reviews overall get a different type of treatment either consciously or subliminally when it comes to scoring?

No. However, when an classic album doesn't make an impression on me, I'm likely to give it another try. For example, I bought Astral Weeks about three years ago, only because of its status as one of the greatest albums ever. I'd never listened to a single track before buying it. I listened to it several times at first, and it did nothing for me. I shelved it until about a month ago when I decided it was time to give it another shot. And this time, it clicked. And now it's in my Top 100. However for new albums, if it doesn't click the first time, I'm very unlikely to revisit it, unless its reputation grows over time.

AAL2014 wrote:
Should we be able to add hypothetical points to an older record just because it has stood the test of time or sounds as good if not better than albums like it coming out now? To put it another way, are these even things you consider when rating a song or an album or do you just take the quality of the music into account?

I just take the music into account. If it clicks, it clicks, and I'll rate it highly. If it partially clicks or doesn't click at all, then I'll rate it accordingly regardless of status.