Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2018 12:42
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Wow, you're already done with 1994?? That was fast! Although I'm sure you had listened to a much larger number of albums from '94 when we started. Anyway, it was fun while it lasted, lol

lol. The problem was I was listening to TOO many albums from 1994. I had to cut myself off! lol

I will return to 1994 next week so that I can check out some of the album u hit up this week. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/16/2018 23:28
  • Post subject:
85:2. The Origins of Alt Rock

Gas Food Lodging by Green On Red

(Paisley Underground, Roots Rock)

Uncle Tupelo, despite popular lore, were not the first Alt Country band. Not even close actually. The American Underground had a surprising bunch of 'em. Bands like Giant Sand, The Long Ryders, & Eleventh Dream Day. All bands worth exploring if you like like straight up, low fidelity, gritty rock with a nice dose of country twang to spicen things up.

Green on Red were one of the best of the bunch. A driving mixture of psychedelic garage rock organ and Neil Young guitars. I'm a big fan of their debut - Gravity Talks - which came out two years prior but have never really delved properly into its follow up.

First Impression: A-
RIYL: Nuggets style garage rock, Neil Young, Uncle Tupelo, & The Dream Syndicate

• Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 10/17/2018 00:39
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
A driving mixture of psychedelic garage rock organ and Neil Young guitars.

SAY. NO. MORE.

This is rather funny because I’m listening to Tim Buckley’s Lorca right now and I was wondering what you’ve been up to. Such a sensational record, and I mean that in every sense of the word. But yeah nah, after that sentence, I’m hooked.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 10/17/2018 05:00
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

Uncle Tupelo, despite popular lore, were not the first Alt Country band. Not even close actually. The American Underground had a surprising bunch of 'em. Bands like Giant Sand, The Long Ryders, & Eleventh Dream Day. All bands worth exploring if you like like straight up, low fidelity, gritty rock with a nice dose of country twang to spicen things up.

Green on Red were one of the best of the bunch. A driving mixture of psychedelic garage rock organ and Neil Young guitars. I'm a big fan of their debut - Gravity Talks - which came out two years prior but have never really delved properly into its follow up.

RIYL: Nuggets style garage rock, Neil Young, Uncle Tupelo, & The Dream Syndicate

This is the one I got to know Green On Red and it’s still my favourite: a very good one
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2018 13:46
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:

SAY. NO. MORE.

This is rather funny because I’m listening to Tim Buckley’s Lorca right now and I was wondering what you’ve been up to. Such a sensational record, and I mean that in every sense of the word. But yeah nah, after that sentence, I’m hooked.

lol. Han Solo is a God! Have u seen the new one yet? I'm waiting until it's available at my library so it may take awhile. lol.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2018 16:29
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:

This is the one I got to know Green On Red and it’s still my favourite: a very good one

Gravity Talks may be even better! I'll burn that one too and see which one I like better by the end of the week.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 10/18/2018 01:41
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Komorebi-D wrote:

SAY. NO. MORE.

lol. Han Solo is a God! Have u seen the new one yet? I'm waiting until it's available at my library so it may take awhile. lol.

Yeah I saw it at the cinemas with my Dad. It’s cool addition I guess, Donald Glover is a great Lando, but it’s not really essential. Though there’s one twist you’ll either love or hate as a Star Wars fan, I won’t say anymore

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 08:48
  • Post subject:
'85:3 A Classical Detour

J.S.Bach: Mass In B Minor by John Eliot...erdi Choir

I don't listen to a lot of classical. And that's going to change. Starting with this highly touted classical from the upper echelons of RYM's 1985 chart. It will take me a bit to learn to describe this kind of music since I have such little experience with it, but even a heathen like myself can recognize the grandeur that is this record. It's triumphant. Joyous. Rejoicing in the coming of the messiah is my guess. I've read absolutely nothing about this recording, but it rings with a freshness of things anew. Of things being born. Great stuff to rejeuvenate the spirit.

First Impression: A
RIYL: um....Classical stuff. lol.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 20:52
  • Post subject:
'85:4 Eno Goes To Space

Thursday Afternoon by Brian Eno

How fitting, right? It's a lazy afternoon here in Chicago. The sun is out. I'm chilling on my back deck having just finished up some tai chi. And it wasn't until I was halfway through this that I realized I was listening to Thursday Afternoon on a Thursday afternoon. I'm (finally) in sync with the universe I guess.

Anyways, it's my very first time listening to this. And it's striking how similar it is to the spacier, mellow elements in The Orb's classic Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld. It can't be a coincidence. I'm sure if cornered & given enough alcohol, those guys from The Orb whatever their names may be would fess up to cribbing major parts from this album.

It's a relaxed , spacy proto-electronica album. Very different from Eno's previous ambient albums but still very much Eno. It hasn't really gelled with me quite yet since it's only my first listen.

First Impression: B+
RIYL: The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

Last edited by Repo on 10/23/2018 13:37; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2018 12:34
  • Post subject:
'85:5 We're Just A Minor Threat

Can't Close My Eyes by Youth Of Today

It's the mid-80s. Hardcore still reigned supreme at my local punk bar called The Rocket and upstairs at AS220. Black Flag's unending tour of every little shithole in America was still in full force. And on the East Coast, Youth Of Today were probably the most important old school hardcore band. I never got into them back then. Too into all the new sounds that were creeping out of the American Underground.

Which was a mistake. Because it turns out they RULE! They sound A LOT like Minor Threat. A LOT! In a good way. I mean Minor Threat only really had two EPs. So more stuff that sounds like Minor Threat is a really, really good thing and mana for those of us who kneeled at the Minor Threat altar. Next time your in a pissed off mood and want a POSITIVE kick in the ass so u don't just wind up melting into your couch like a day old burrito in the noonday sun, throw this beast in the deck. Get yourself a coffee. And rip shit up, brothers & sisters. Because this is harcore at its (second) best.

RIYL: Minor Threat (duh.)

• Visit poster's website