Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 15:30
  • Post subject:

Time Out by The Dave Brubeck Quartet

I am not a jazz fan by any means. A Love Supreme is really the only jazz album I've ever heard that I've wanted to listen to a second time, and this album is nothing like A Love Supreme. When I listen to this I feel like I'm in New York, sitting in the hotel lobby during a Christmas movie that takes place in the 60s. It isn't bad, but there's certainly nothing here that I could grab onto or that makes me want to come back. I gave it a 55, because I definitely didn't dislike it but I don't want to give it anything higher.

---------------------------------

The Stranger by Billy Joel

If Komorebi hadn't begged not to listed to Toxicity I definitely would have picked that one because it's one of my favorites on the list (high school me still influences my music opinions quite a bit). But while this game is harsh and unforgiving I don't want to be that mean right off the bat. Instead I'll pick the album most unlike Toxicity on the list. This album is super schmaltzy and sugary but I actually like it a lot. Does that make me a hypocrite for not liking Time Out? Maybe! Sorry Komorebi, maybe the next person to give you an album will like the Moody Blues.

---------------------------------

302. Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus
351. Debut by Bjork
380. Dog Man Star by Suede
400. License to Ill by The Beastie Boys
403. Sublime by Sublime
417. Blue Train by John Coltrane
419. Breakfast in America by Supertramp
427. (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) by Lynyrd Skynyrd
428. Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos
429. Elvis Presley by Elvis Presley
Sandinistar

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 20:44
  • Post subject:
1. For babyBlueSedan:
Blue Train by John Coltrane

I don't know how much of a jazz fan you are, but this is essential listening (that I should also listen to in full soon).

2. My rec:
Automatic For The People by R.E.M.

This album was fine - I recognized that a lot of the songs on it were good, but few stood out to me very much. I did listen to Murmur a little while ago, and enjoy it, so I should definitely return to it - I think that's more my speed. The best of Peter Buck will always be his contributions to The Replacements' "I Will Dare," though.

3. My list (limiting to one per artist to ensure variation):

7. Funeral by Arcade Fire
17. In the Aeroplane over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel
28. Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan
34. The Joshua Tree by U2
38. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
43. (What's the Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis
59. To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar
60. Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins
61. What's Going On by Marvin Gaye (this is just embarassing)
65. Agaetis Byrjun by Sigur Ros
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 01:42
  • Post subject:
The review of the best thing Peter Buck did was for another band... kicked me in the balls.
New Orleans Instrumental, No. 1 and Sweetness Follows is some of the best work of R.E.M. ever.
So I suppose you can review U2's Joshua Tree and likely kick me in the balls again. May the trip to the desert be clean and solid.

The Joshua Tree by U2

2. 80/80

Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest

For this I totally dig the music and style of ATCQ. Their rapping flows masterfully... but their delivery is somehow boring as hell to me (and I don't mean to offend). The dynamic range is lacking... BUT nice and chill. Sometimes chill is where it is at. Totally solid album, but somehow it doesn't kick me in the balls good enough... haha.

ALSO - thank you Chief for remembering Future Days... I somehow missed it when I put this back together on this thread.

#93 For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver (2007)
#220 channel ORANGE by Frank Ocean (2012)
#233 Red by King Crimson (1974)
#365 Rust Never Sleeps by Neil Young And Crazy Horse (1979)
#399 Fear Of A Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree (2007)
#433 Deep Purple In Rock by Deep Purple (1970)
#440 I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One by Yo La Tengo (1997)
#441 The Yes Album by Yes (1971)
#443 Tonight's The Night by Neil Young (1975)
#452 Future Days by Can (1973)
#484 American Football by American Football (1999)
#486 Plans by Death Cab For Cutie (2005)
#499 Court And Spark by Joni Mitchell (1974)
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 04:54
  • Post subject:

Blonde by Frank Ocean

My initial impressions are positive if a bit underwhelmed. This a good album. A great album in 2016. While I think this album is not your typical pop fare, I didn't find it to be jarring. This quote from the wikipedia article on the album grabbed my attention; "it isn't that of a typical pop or R&B album – it tends to meander into his surreal dreamscapes, cut with jarring samples of conversation, odd effects, drifting guitars and beatless melodies that go on longer than expected." This just sounds like someone who hasn't had that much experience with music. Stevie Wonder and Terry Callier are two R&B artists that have composed beatless Pop & RnB songs and there are plenty more I can't name right off the top of my head. What I'm getting at is that this album I'm sure is impressive to someone with limited music knowledge, but maybe isn't that impressive to someone who has been around the block a few times. It also might be impressive within the R & B canon of this decade, but it might not be quite as groundbreaking in the complete canon. I feel like I sound like an elitist douche right now. Very Happy

Edit: Also, "Be Yourself" and "Facebook Story" were both kind of silly.

Seth, listen to Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree. I'm interested to see what you think of that.

The Suburbs- Arcade Fire
Born To Run- Bruce Fucking Springsteen
Definitely Maybe- Oasis
For Emma, Forever Ago- Bon Iver
Modern Vampires of The City- Vampire Weekend
Hot Fuss- The Killers
I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning- Bright Eyes
An Awesome Wave- alt j
Takk...- Sigur Ros
The Stranger- Billy Joel (Oh great, the American Elton John)
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 10/23/2018 11:07
  • Post subject:
#1:

The Suburbs by Arcade Fire

Chief, you get this. I was throwing up between this record and Bon Iver’s s/t but I felt you might appreciate something a little more straightforward after Blonde. Don’t get me wrong, I love that album - I even think it’s on par with The Suburbs - but I think it’s way more my thing. Plus The Suburbs hooks you in from square one with its title track and it’s fantastic from start to finish. I definitely think, like a lot of people, it’s their best record next to Funeral. Anyway, enjoy mate!

#2:

The Stranger by Billy Joel

Now I finally listened to an actual Billy Joel record and I rather enjoyed it. I’m not in love with it but I did have bop along to classics like “Vienna” & “Only The Good Die Young”. And you know what? His writing here is pretty solid here. I can see why he’s considered a great. I guess that’s a feeling I felt that was something that carried over to the whole record. I really wish I had more to say about the album because it’s rare that I’m at a loss for words but I just don’t what more I can touch on. The Stranger is a relatively remarkable record and something that doesn’t sound totally like a product of its time. Oh and for some reason, I’m rather fond of that cover. So cheers BabyBlueSedan for not throwing me in the deep end right away, this was a fine start.

#3:
And finally my updated list;

97. Back In Black - AC/DC
161. Lateralus - Tool
190. Aenima - Tool
264. Toxicity - System of The Down (Please. Don’t. Make. Me.)
347. Highway To Hell - AC/DC
368. Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues
399. Fear of a Black Planet - Porcupine Tree
409. The Resistance - Muse
433. Deep Purple In a Rock - Deep Purple
471. Abraxas by Santana

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 10/23/2018 14:00
  • Post subject:
Komorebi I've never bothered to listen to an AC/DC album either. Growing up when and where I did their songs were everywhere and that was well and truly enough for me, so I am not going to subject you to that. And for some reason, call it intuition, I don't think you want to listen to Toxicity, although it is one of my favourite go to albums when I'm angry, so have a listen to this. The fact that you haven't yet I'm guessing means you didn't like the singles but the rest of the album is a bit different to them.

The Resistance by Muse

I listened to this:

Selling England By The Pound by Genesis

Considering the bland Invisible Touch is, as far as I am aware, the only Genesis song I knew of before today this was a pleasant surprise. The first three songs were great, and I was quite captivated, until they let Phil Collins sing on More Fool Me. I could have done without that and it felt a bit out of place in my opinion. The Battle of Epping Forest got the album back on track but after that my interest started to wane, like it often does with a lot of prog. Still apart from a couple of songs I actually wouldn't mind listening to this again some time. In fact I'm pretty sure I will at least be playing the first few songs again soon.

My list:

Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin
Blue - Joni Mitchell
Harvest - Neil Young
Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
Close To The Edge - Yes
Quadrophenia - The Who (although I have seen the movie a few times)
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - John Lennon
Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
Songs in the Key of Life -Stevie Wonder
Led Zeppelin III - Led Zeppelin (just the way things have worked out but I've listened to some Led Zep albums a lot and others not at all)
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 15:26
  • Post subject:

Blue Train by John Coltrane

I mentioned that the only jazz album that's stuck with me was by Coltrane so I wasnt too surprised that I liked this. I cant describe why I liked this but not Time Out but maybe someday I'll be able to.

-----------------

Blue by Joni Mitchell

I'm going to keep recommending Blue in this thread because it's perfect.

----------------

302. Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus 
351. Debut by Bjork 
380. Dog Man Star by Suede 
400. License to Ill by The Beastie Boys 
403. Sublime by Sublime 
419. Breakfast in America by Supertramp 
427. (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) by Lynyrd Skynyrd 
428. Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos 
429. Elvis Presley by Elvis Presley
441. The Yes Album by Yes
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 21:16
  • Post subject:

Ride The Lightning by Metallica

Ba(b)y's first thrash metal. I've been waffling on how I feel about this - for now I'll say I barely like it more than I dislike it. For starters, the positives. This is technically impeccable and downright virtuosic. I probably couldn't find a technical flaw if I tried. Except for the fact that sometimes the guitars sounded off-beat to me (my ears could be lying), but I'm pretty sure that was intentional? Now, the negatives. I often like really heavy music. A couple albums before this, I was listening to some punishing heavy psych that I really liked. So my gripe must be something about the way the heaviness happens here, not the fact that it's heavy to begin with. While many heavier albums (Zen Arcade, for instance) make me feel like I've been enveloped in a sublime cloud of noise, here the heaviness feels more confrontational and sonically oppressive, and is hard to hear for almost fifty minutes. My second complaint is something I've noticed in some other metal albums that appears especially prominently here. The guitars make a recurring noise that reminds me of revving an engine, or stuttering. I don't know if there is a technical term for this, but I really don't like the way it sounds. Anyway, as I said, I like this slightly more than I dislike it, and I'm glad I was exposed to it. 3/5.

~~~~~

2. For babyBlueSedan, this is easily my favorite of the five on your list that I've heard:

Debut by Björk

~~~~~

3. My list:

44. The Bends - Radiohead
51. Master Of Puppets - Metallica
53. Master Of Reality - Black Sabbath
55. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
65. Close To The Edge - Yes
67. Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin
76. In Utero - Nirvana
83. Future Days - Can
85. Amnesiac - Radiohead
100. Surfer Rosa - Pixies
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 22:17
  • Post subject:
I'm down to give this game a try. So I understand I would choose one these albums for baystateoftheart to listen to.
baystateoftheart wrote:
76. In Utero - Nirvana
83. Future Days - Can
85. Amnesiac - Radiohead

But what 10 albums would I have to list for the next person to recommend me? Do they have to be from one of baystateoftheart's personal lists? Or a personal list from somebody else who's participating in this game? Or can they be from any list of my choosing?
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 22:22
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I'm down to give this game a try. So I understand I would choose one these albums for baystateoftheart to listen to.
baystateoftheart wrote:
76. In Utero - Nirvana
83. Future Days - Can
85. Amnesiac - Radiohead

But what 10 albums would I have to list for the next person to recommend me? Do they have to be from one of baystateoftheart's personal lists? Or a personal list from somebody else who's participating in this game? Or can they be from any list of my choosing?

They can be from basically any list of your choosing. Suggested sources are in the first post.