Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 13:53
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
We all get that you don't like Bob Dylan. But why are you jumping in to try to persuade someone else against trying out something they might like?

It sounds like he already doesn't like it. He doesn't need my "persuasion." He may or may not choose to investigate further.

Life is short and the world of music is huge... really, really huge. If you already have significant indicators you're into an artist, why push it when the same time and effort could yield greater likelihood of success by continuing to expand elsewhere? Maybe that's just me... I love so much music across so many genres that I know there's no way I can digest it all before I die, so I have to do some culling along the way. But again, that's just my approach and I don't necessarily advocate it to everyone else.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 13:55
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:

I think what really bothers me is Dylan's 'holier than thou' attitude towards everybody. He's been called a musical prophet, and just the way he talks annoys me how every word drips with cynicism and disdain for everything.

Well, there is that as well.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 15:44
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
It’s a mystery to me, but complexity isn’t always better, and neither is simplicity. Sometimes, if you break things down to their components, the magic quietly steps out the back door, or finds another place to be.

well said.

Last edited by craola on 10/22/2018 16:43; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
antiquusxy

• Posted: 10/22/2018 15:52
  • Post subject:
all rock bands
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/22/2018 17:57
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Funny Laughing but not a particularly relevant analogy for what I said...

...but one could probably observe each of their qualities and characteristics and determine which are the most contributive to the development of humanity, the animal kingdom and Earth itself.

Your analogy would be closer if there were multiple tests: climb a tree; hold your breath under water the longest; withstand Antarctic weather the longest etc. It would still be you or me, sitting in that chair, imposing the tests and viewing through whichever lens/lenses we choose.

Seth’s trying to understand why it is he would enjoy he process of these animal olympics, but wouldn’t necessarily like to hang out with the winner.

I’m thinking about if those animals formed a band (even though they may not be the best example of each animal), why it is that they might be able to achieve something greater than the sum of the parts, or achieve something for which there is no test.

It’s a mystery to me, but complexity isn’t always better, and neither is simplicity. Sometimes, if you break things down to their components, the magic quietly steps out the back door, or finds another place to be.

It seems like you have missed that I never imposed "which" or "what" technique or "which" or "what" type of vocalist etc. Or, if youre referring to my criteria in general: "which" or "what" expressions/emotion/concept/genre etc. There are no restrictions save determination of quality thereof - if one could classify that as a "restriction".

Your final message is a curious notion but I dont know what youre referring to in regards to this or if you were just thinking aloud <-- in which case, cool.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 10/22/2018 20:36
  • Post subject:
Hey, AfterHours. Last statement, thinking aloud. The whole thing is thinking aloud, really. I’m not trying to be argumentative.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/22/2018 22:43
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Hey, AfterHours. Last statement, thinking aloud. The whole thing is thinking aloud, really. I’m not trying to be argumentative.

Cool man, I dig it - all good Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2018 23:01
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:

I think what really bothers me is Dylan's 'holier than thou' attitude towards everybody. He's been called a musical prophet, and just the way he talks annoys me how every word drips with cynicism and disdain for everything.

Well...in his career that has spanned nearly 60 years (how old are you?), I kind of think he's earned the right to be however pompous as fuck as he wants to be. And in your less than stellar musical career...who are you to judge him for having an opinion? Does he judge you for your opinions?

Really...threads like this suck. All they do is focus on the negatives about people we have no real knowledge about what goes on in their heads or their worlds. Enough, already...and if you dislike someone's music because they may think differently than you want them to, then damn...your loss. You want to dismiss a body of work like Dylan's because you don't like his attitude? That's really closed minded, and foolish.

Sad
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 00:28
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
jdenny2018 wrote:

Well...in his career that has spanned nearly 60 years (how old are you?), I kind of think he's earned the right to be however pompous as fuck as he wants to be. And in your less than stellar musical career...who are you to judge him for having an opinion? Does he judge you for your opinions?

Really...threads like this suck. All they do is focus on the negatives about people we have no real knowledge about what goes on in their heads or their worlds. Enough, already...and if you dislike someone's music because they may think differently than you want them to, then damn...your loss. You want to dismiss a body of work like Dylan's because you don't like his attitude? That's really closed minded, and foolish.

Sad

Couple of things:

1: I'm 22

2: Other than playing the trumpet through school and singing in my car and the shower, I'm not a musician. I just like music.

3: I don't care how he thinks or his opinions, I just think his attitude is kind of shitty.

4: If people only expressed opinions with a clear and unbiased insight into every musician's mind, these threads would be empty.

5: Look back through the thread. I've already admonished myself for not trying Dylan's discography again and mention my own desire to improve my musical horizons.

As for these threads sucking, I think that's a little short sighted. As long as people are respectful and open to differing opinions, these threads can be a bastion for thoughtful discussion about why music affects us the way it does. I had been softening my opinion on Bob Dylan and was open to trying his albums again, and you came in here and attacked me for simply saying I don't like his attitude. That's not fostering an environment for thoughtful discussion. I get you're defending Bob Dylan and his legacy, but there are better ways to do so than attacking me on a personal level and saying I have a "less than stellar career."

I'm sorry to take up so much space on this thread, I just thought this needed to be said.

Let's all get back to talking to why we love music instead of yelling at each other for not having the same opinion.

Godspeed music junkies
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 10/23/2018 13:49
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
jdenny2018 wrote:

Sad

Come on, a bit of iconoclasm hasn't hurt anyone ! And he's got a point
  • Visit poster's website