Album of the day (#2879): In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 11/04/2018 11:11
  • Post subject:
Based on all the comments here...I decided to give this a listen. Never heard it before. It is....OK. It is average-but-pleasant-folk rock. I liked it enough to consider adding it to my music library (although to be honest....I could just as easily live without it). What kind of blows me away is that they are in the top 30 of BEA artists. I am NOT slagging on them in any way...I just...wow.Don't see it. I really think for some people....bands just speak to them and they like them for that reason alone. Neutral Milk Hotel don't speak to me much...but they are OK. JUST OK.

Live Albums

Death Metal
  • Visit poster's website
gloriousgoo

• Posted: 11/05/2018 06:12
  • Post subject:
Decurso wrote:
Based on all the comments here...I decided to give this a listen. Never heard it before. It is....OK. It is average-but-pleasant-folk rock. I liked it enough to consider adding it to my music library (although to be honest....I could just as easily live without it). What kind of blows me away is that they are in the top 30 of BEA artists. I am NOT slagging on them in any way...I just...wow.Don't see it. I really think for some people....bands just speak to them and they like them for that reason alone. Neutral Milk Hotel don't speak to me much...but they are OK. JUST OK.

I think people just appreciate the almost uncomfortable honesty that this album brings to the table and the raw emotion that pervades the album. It seems that every single moment of this album is designed to showcase Jeff Magnum's grief or lust or wistfulness as honestly as possible and, at a time when industrial pop was beginning to take over, such a thing was rare and had a huge impact not just on listeners, but on the philosophy that indie would embrace in the following years.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 11/05/2018 22:07
  • Post subject:
Definitely the best albums I've discovered on this site. Possibly even my favourite album of all time.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2018 01:38
  • Post subject:
Decurso wrote:
I really think for some people....bands just speak to them and they like them for that reason alone.

Not so sure about that. My first few listens of NMH (both On Avery Island and a couple tracks from Aeroplane) they were OK ("JUST OK") but not terrific. Sometime later, the textures that he created started to 'click' with me. It wasn't something that originally spoke to me, and I'm not sure that the themes do even now, but there is something in the emotions/texture of the sound that are simply wonderful.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website