Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 10/18/2018 01:21
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
This test feels as old as I am now - I remember doing this test when I was prepubescent (admittedly very slowly and not understanding most of the questions).

It's a noble attempt to move people away from the left-to-right political spectrum, and it gives people a label that seems more sophisticated, but it still has the same reductionist traps of the left-to-right system.

I'm worried tests like this only further political division. We send grids to one another to show what camp we're in, how devoted to that camp we are, rather than what we think about actual policy. Views on foreign policy, identity politics, surveillance, abortion, nationalism etc can't all be lumped between 'Authoritarian' and 'Libertarian'. Those are discussions that ought to be had on a case-by-case basis.

This test also strengthens the 'horseshoe theory' that centrist like to wave around. 'Authoritarian' suddenly means just 'bad' and 'oppressive' where Hitler and Stalin are both (according to their extreme examples) labelled authoritarian, ignoring the wholly different exercises and positions of power both totalitarians wielded. We're then left to believe that the only differences between these two leaders are economic ones, which ignores the many core disagreements between the two men's ideologies. Spoiler: they weren't at war because of taxes.

I can count the number of people I've met who tell me they're 'Authoritarian' on one fist.

As other's have pointed out, always be aware what agenda the actual survey might be pushing. Certain questions are worded strongly and ignore a lot of nuances an actual discussion might have to make you feel a certain way (I have no idea if creating a completely neutral quiz like this is possible).

That said, as political quizzes go, this one covers a lot of ground and will get you to have an internal monologue with yourself. It poses political dilemmas outside our current news cycle that we don't always get a chance to think about.

So yeah, do the quiz. Take the result with a grain of salt, and get learning - I'm scared everyday that goes by I'm not learning enough.

I get where you are coming from, and I agree that (as you said and Baby has already said before) they're probably subliminarly trying to push their agenda, and thinking about it, there are truly some points in which they are almost already predicting where you ought to push in, But I like to think that this test at least tries to put some discussion to the table about our political positioning and beliefs, which for some of the not-so avid voters could be certainly interesting.

Also, as I forgot to edit on the OP, You can recommend to the thread alternative tests of ways to find ourselves on different political spectrum.

Skinny wrote:
God I hate this test. Makes me look like even more of a gulag apologist than I already am.

I missed you Neil

baystateoftheart wrote:
P.S. #EleNão

haha, YES!!!
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2018 03:03
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:

I'm basically this as well... my dot changes in the bottom left, but it's never deviated outside of that quadrant. I suppose my question to those who disagree with this test, does that mean your dot goes all over the place in different quadrants or you basically also take this test multiple times and get the same quadrant, but then get closer to another quadrant.

If it basically pegs you in the same quadrant every time, but the dot moves in that quadrant, that's typical of all of these types of tests. None of these tests are 100% accurate, rather help see what general area you fall under. It's all made up anyway- constructs of humanity... the personality quizzes etc. These aren't hard sciences.

It might also mean you are a solid moderate, in which case this test more or less confirms that.

Not trying to defend the test - it totally could be flawed, just thinking out loud.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2018 05:10
  • Post subject: