What are the best remakes?

View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/23/2018 16:06
  • Post subject: What are the best remakes?
What do you think are the best remakes? Not necessarily better than the original, but ones that you happen to like or just think are pretty good. Or just ones that you enjoyed.

These are my favorite ones.

https://letterboxd.com/writer70/list/fa...es/detail/
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 08:33
  • Post subject:
1. The Fly (1986)
2. The Maltese Falcon (1941) [actually the third adaptation of the book]
3. Holiday (1937)
4. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
5. His Girl Friday
6. Scarlet Street (La Chienne) - Noir
7. A Place in the Sun
8. Thieves Like Us
9. Gaslight (1944)
10. Floating Weeds
11. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
12. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)
13. Twelve Monkeys
14. The Breaking Point (To Have and Have Not) - Noir
15. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
16. True Grit (2010)
17. Murder, My Sweet (1944) [second adaptation of Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely]
18. An Affair to Remember
19. Mogambo (Red Dust)
20. The Departed
21. Bram Stoker’s Dracula
22. The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
23. Farewell, My Lovely (1975)
24. The Magnificent Seven
25. The War of the Worlds (2005)
26. The Strawberry Blonde
27. A Star is Born (2018)
28. A Star is Born (1954)
29. The Lodger (1944)
30. M (1951)
31. No Way Out (1987)
32. Outland
33. Scarface (1983)
34. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
35. Police Python 357 (French remake of The Big Clock, making No Way Out at least the third)
36. Black Caesar
37. Cape Fear (1991)
38. King Kong (2005)

I believe Evil Dead 2 is a remake. Don't think there's any continuity from the first one, just the same general concept with a bigger budget. I'd add it to my list, but I'm not 100% positive about the lack of continuity thing.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2018 20:07
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
1. The Fly (1986)
3. Holiday (1937)
5. His Girl Friday
7. A Place in the Sun
8. Thieves Like Us
9. Gaslight (1944)
10. Floating Weeds
13. Twelve Monkeys
16. True Grit (2010)
17. Murder, My Sweet (1944) [second adaptation of Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely]
19. Mogambo (Red Dust)
20. The Departed
29. The Lodger (1944)
30. M (1951)
31. No Way Out (1987)
32. Outland
33. Scarface (1983)
35. Police Python 357 (French remake of The Big Clock, making No Way Out at least the third)
36. Black Caesar
37. Cape Fear (1991)
38. King Kong (2005)

I believe Evil Dead 2 is a remake. Don't think there's any continuity from the first one, just the same general concept with a bigger budget. I'd add it to my list, but I'm not 100% positive about the lack of continuity thing.

Looks like I forgot some good ones. Some of these I didn't know were remakes. Is An Affair to Remember the one that is a remake of the Italian movie Indiscretion of an American Wife? I forgot which movie is a remake of that. I didn't expect to like that movie. I just watched it to see Montgomery Clift and Jennifer Jones, and it turned out to be a really great movie. I always get Love Affair, An Affair to Remember, Brief Encounter, and Indiscretion of an American Wife mixed up for some reason. Maybe they're the same basic premise or something. I'm still not 100% positive which is which or who was in which one. Lol.
And what is Ali Fear Eats the Soul a remake of?
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2018 00:14
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Looks like I forgot some good ones. Some of these I didn't know were remakes. Is An Affair to Remember the one that is a remake of the Italian movie Indiscretion of an American Wife? I forgot which movie is a remake of that. I didn't expect to like that movie. I just watched it to see Montgomery Clift and Jennifer Jones, and it turned out to be a really great movie. I always get Love Affair, An Affair to Remember, Brief Encounter, and Indiscretion of an American Wife mixed up for some reason. Maybe they're the same basic premise or something. I'm still not 100% positive which is which or who was in which one. Lol.

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul is a remake of All That Heaven Allows. An Affair to Remember's a remake of Love Affair. I can see getting Love Affair and A Brief Encounter mixed up.

I didn't know Wizard of Oz, Holiday and The Strawberry Blonde were remakes till I saw a Wikipedia list last night. Did know about Maltese Falcon, Gaslight and An Affair to Remember. The original, British version of Gaslight came out only 4 years before the Hollywood one.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2018 22:51
  • Post subject:
if reboots count as remakes i like the newer Friday the 13th i know slasher are almost the boy bands of movies but i enjoy the hell out of them, when done well. To me the prologue is AMAZING adrenaline rushing cinema.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 12/01/2018 00:38
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
1. The Fly (1986)
3. Holiday (1937)
5. His Girl Friday
7. A Place in the Sun
8. Thieves Like Us
9. Gaslight (1944)
10. Floating Weeds
13. Twelve Monkeys
16. True Grit (2010)
19. Mogambo (Red Dust)
20. The Departed
29. The Lodger (1944)
30. M (1951)
31. No Way Out (1987)
32. Outland
33. Scarface (1983)
36. Black Caesar
37. Cape Fear (1991)
38. King Kong (2005)

Jeez you're good. I'm not the biggest fan of everything there but you got so many good ones on that list. As for what else I'd add, well... We'll get to that in a minute. Because I almost forgot there's people out there that think Evil Dead 2 is a remake. It's not, and here's why. It's good timing for this since I just watched it a couple nights ago.

*Spoiler Alerts*

Evil Dead 2 had a unique take on flashbacks. Instead of actually flashing back to scenes from the previous movie, they re-shot the incidents. So basically yeah, the entire first act is a remake, in a weird sort of way. It re-tells it like its just him and his girlfriend, leaving out the sister and two friends, but it's still a recap of the first film. When it reaches the point where he first gets possessed, that was the end of the recap of what happened in Part 1, as that's where the first ended. Then the proper story of Evil Dead 2 truly begins.

So long story short its not a remake. But the first act of the film is a remake, sort of.

*End of Spoilers*

So yeah, killer list. But these are missing (some could be considered re-adaptations not based on previous films, but you included those so I guess they count)...

The Thing (1982)
Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)
Horror of Dracula (1958)
Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
Maniac (2012)
Romeo & Juliet (1968)

Edit: Just saw the OP's link. Makes me want to put together a top 100.

Also reminds me I love Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but prefer the 1931 version.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/01/2018 09:04
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul is a remake of All That Heaven Allows. An Affair to Remember's a remake of Love Affair. I can see getting Love Affair and A Brief Encounter mixed up.

I didn't know Wizard of Oz, Holiday and The Strawberry Blonde were remakes till I saw a Wikipedia list last night. Did know about Maltese Falcon, Gaslight and An Affair to Remember. The original, British version of Gaslight came out only 4 years before the Hollywood one.

No, I didn't know Maltese Falcon and some other ones you have are remakes. And I just forgot thieves like us. There's probably a lot of movies I've seen that are remakes but I just didn't know it. Is Gaslight the Ingrid Bergman movie where she was in both the foreign version and the American version.? There's some movie where she was in both of them but I forget which one it is.
Some that you have I definitely would have put on my list if only I knew they were remakes. Especially Wizard of Oz of course
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 00:14
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Is Gaslight the Ingrid Bergman movie where she was in both the foreign version and the American version.? There's some movie where she was in both of them but I forget which one it is.

It's Intermezzo.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 02:22
  • Post subject:
The only one that really jumps out at me is The Producers. I like Gene Wilder, but the earlier version lacks the energy and pizzazz of the remake with, surprisingly, Matthew Broderick.

I'm sure there are others that I don't even know are remakes though. I'm not nearly so well versed in film as I am in music.
  • Visit poster's website