Controversial Movie Opinions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2018 05:27
  • Post subject:
I was trying not to phrase myself that absolutely, but, yes there are some of those kinds of movies before the 50s, but not quite to the same camp/ironic quality.

That is accurate; most bad movies of any decade are just bad, but what I meant was more of the sheer amount of movies that were crapped out by people.

Billy Wilder wrote somewhere around 20 movies before he reached an American audience. Has anybody seen one of them?

Same with Hitchcock, he made about 20 films before "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and "The 39 Steps".

Not to say that these are necessarily bad but just boring.

I do love plenty of 70s and 80s crappy movies. I agree that it's subjective, as to whether they're so bad they're good, which is why I've skewed toward the 90s recently. (Also, good call on 70s schlock being more towards R-rated exploitation films, and the 90s being more towards PG and G films). Black Belt Jones, Black Samson, Sweet Sweeeetback's Badassssss Song, are movies that I enjoy (for the most part) non-ironically. (Which I know makes me sound like a twat). A lot of 70s exploitation horror movies fall flat too. (See "The Wizard of Gore") But some of the movies on my ridiculous 90s list are almost of a sadistic nature. Watching famed actors like Burt Reynolds in "Cop and a Half" and Stallone in "Oscar", is a not-so guilty pleasure.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2018 09:26
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I was trying not to phrase myself that absolutely, but, yes there are some of those kinds of movies before the 50s, but not quite to the same camp/ironic quality.

Reefer Madness is some kind of exemplar of camp (though it's been referenced and imitated so much that it's lost some of its impact), but there definitely was a whole cottage industry of those movies in the 50s and later.

Quote:
Billy Wilder wrote somewhere around 20 movies before he reached an American audience. Has anybody seen one of them?

You mean the German films? His second one as writer, People on Sunday is a well-regarded film and was released by Criterion. It's also famous because of the number of future illustrious filmmakers who worked on it -- Fred Zinnemann, Robert Siodmak (future famous noir director), Edgar Ulmer (future famous noir and low-budget movie director).

Quote:
Same with Hitchcock, he made about 20 films before "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and "The 39 Steps". Not to say that these are necessarily bad but just boring.

His second film, The Lodger, and Blackmail are very good movies -- not boring at all (at least to me). Rich and Strange is downright, well, strange. Not sure what your point is? That pre-50s movies are worse because some great directors had long formative periods?

Quote:
A lot of 70s exploitation horror movies fall flat too. (See "The Wizard of Gore")

Honestly, I haven't seen enough exploitation horror to compare their artistic success in the 70s and, let's say, the 80s. Herschell Gordon Lewis is famous for not caring about quality, was just in the exploitation movie biz for the money.

Quote:
But some of the movies on my ridiculous 90s list are almost of a sadistic nature. Watching famed actors like Burt Reynolds in "Cop and a Half" and Stallone in "Oscar", is a not-so guilty pleasure.

Haha! Guess Kindergarten Cop goes in there too, though it has its fans.

Showgirls is, of course, the most notorious camp movie of the 90s. What's your (next) favorite?
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2018 19:40
  • Post subject:
I probably shouldn't have used two of the greatest directors of all-time for my argument, but I was trying to say that the quantity of movies produced in that era was staggering. Production companies pumped out movies like an assembly line, usually on a low-budget.

This is a non-90s film, but watching Al Pacino debase himself in "Jack and Jill" reaches a weird meta-level in this scene, which actually makes this horribly unfunny movie, funny.

Link

Showgirls is up there. It's gloriously overracted, horribly written, and probably makes me laugh more than many actual comedies. Don't even get me started on the pool scene.

The number one movie on that list I had is god awful. SB Nation did a video on how it's one of the worst sports movies, but I think it's easily one of the worst movies period.

Take this scene, for example, it reaches an almost Lynchian level of surrealness. BTW that is a man in some sort of chimp costume, but it's supposed to be a real chimp in the movie. He plays minor league baseball with Matt LeBlanc. Oh, and to add another layer of zaniness, this movie was directed by the guy who made the documentary "Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam" I kid you not.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 02:33
  • Post subject:
The only part of Titanic that doesn't suck eggs is the real life account given by an actual Titanic survivor.
  • Visit poster's website