Awesome moments with Politics and Religion

View previous topic :: View next topic
Words

• Posted: 08/18/2017 06:27
  • Post subject: Awesome moments with Politics and Religion
I figure that when there is bad stuff there is good and I figured I start a thread about the happy stuff in politics and religion.

I went to this mini mart a while back and the cashier was your racially stereotypical middle eastern guy but had a REALLY THICK IRISH ACCENT! It was crazy but it gave me a huge smile because I think we are starting to see what our grandparents were fighting for. Very Happy

Also I love it when I feel like no one else has a love for the Lord above that I have and then I run into this stranger and we have a conversation about spirituality while we are in line at the store or if we are in gas station stalls next to each other.

Honestly talk about any positive experience, I'm all eyes. Get it? Because of the- never mind. I'm not one to judge even if your views are different from mine Smile
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 08/18/2017 11:41
  • Post subject:
I think that thread title is often an oxymoron
  • Visit poster's website
Words

• Posted: 08/18/2017 15:59
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
I think that thread title is often an oxymoron

(Between you and me I couldn't come up with a better name) Confused
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2018 02:45
  • Post subject:
Politically, the only one that really jumps out at me is pretty old, and that's when a Republican controlled congress (House led by Gingrich) gave a sitting Democratic President (Clinton) the line item veto, knowing full well he would use it to line out budget items they wanted, which he did 84 times.

It was the last great bipartisan gesture I can recall.

Sadly, the SCOTUS determined that the line item veto itself was unconstitutional as it shifted power too far to the Executive branch. But it was good while it lasted!

Religiously, I see awesome things all the time. I'm not even religious myself, but I see the good things the churches in most areas are doing. For every Wayland Baptist getting negative press coverage and painting all religion in a bad light, there are a dozen other churches having positive impacts in their communities and in the lives of their members.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/26/2018 03:17
  • Post subject:
Quote:
"Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or a politics of hope?"
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2019 06:49
  • Post subject:
I was in Augsburg when I saw people in fancy clothes saying they stopped killing each other 500 years ago over religion. Farmer war with Lutherans and Catholics and the such... I can't say for sure if that was a good thing... Awesome in the sense that I saw a bit of history.
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 04/12/2019 04:35
  • Post subject:
Should we think that nation-states comprised of hundreds of millions of people from countless different backgrounds would have an easier time agreeing on issues that touch on minute aspects of the lives of small subsets of those people? We live in a world where half of the citizens of grew up conducting even the most basic exchanges of information in an entirely different way from the other half, and most of us have only the vaguest sense of the consequences of that information exchange, or how one might go about making laws to govern it. Meanwhile, despite living almost half a millenium into the enlightenment, the majority of us still tackle the basic questions of our existence with a range of inconsistent superstitions and mythologies that we take only just seriously enough to salve the pangs of existential dread that have been amplified by a constant onslaught of digital media.

The fact that this doesn’t all immediately collapse into chaos is pretty awesome, if you ask me.
  • Visit poster's website
BARDAMU

• Posted: 05/18/2019 20:28
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Sadly, the SCOTUS determined that the line item veto itself was unconstitutional as it shifted power too far to the Executive branch. But it was good while it lasted!

Does this mean you would prefer if the executive branch had more power?
  • Visit poster's website
StefanR10
Music Genius

Germany

• Posted: 07/04/2019 22:27
  • Post subject: Politik
The Meeting from Trump with kim jun un at Korea border
  • Visit poster's website