My Criteria For Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2018 04:10
  • Post subject:
What I really do appreciate from his website is he really is trying to put together all the things, which I dig.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/05/2018 06:30
  • Post subject:
@ seth

Yes, that lens is extremely wide.

The video or "Beatles fanaticism" wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Over the years, I've had a lot of Beatles fans plead or argue or discuss with me, and you are among the least "fanatical" (out of those that were persistent; there were plenty that didn't even bother past a single comment or annoyed statement so I have no idea). I would've posted the video regardless and meant to months ago but forgot. Our argument probably reminded me to do it, I suppose, so maybe it was vaguely attached to that, but not really in any substantial way.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2018 06:07
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

And multi-faceted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_o...cal_theory
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/06/2018 06:24
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

And multi-faceted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_o...cal_theory

I actually meant Scaruffi's lens in particular -- but yes, there are many many theories, and many theories that theorize about theories, theoretically Cool
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2018 03:24
  • Post subject:
Oh you are referring to his website and my appreciation of his efforts to categorize/summarize all worthy works, and not just music, gotcha.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/07/2018 04:06
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Oh you are referring to his website and my appreciation of his efforts to categorize/summarize all worthy works, and not just music, gotcha.

Sure - or even just music. No one has a wider lense.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/14/2018 18:33
  • Post subject:
To anyone interested, I updated all my ratings on my criteria page from 5.0 on up. Specifically, the "combo ratings by halves". More to come (very soon I hope, but still mid evaluation).

Basically, I went back through several 5s, 5.5s, 6s, 6.5s and 7s, and in listening closely, realized I (of all people!) was semi overrating the 7.5s and 8s and 8.5s -- the qualitative parts that make them up, not so much as a "whole".

Included in this, I revisited most of The Beatles career (particularly Hard Days Night thru White Album), various Nirvana albums, For Emma Forever Ago, Bob Dylan's best then his 7s and Bringing it All Back Home (6/10), Live's Throwing Copper, Zeppelin's main albums, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, and several more...

Brief ratings notes re The Beatles: ...I now feel Rubber Soul might also be 5.5 and maybe slightly superior to the more novel art pop of Revolver (also 5.5), and MMT is probably 6.5 (up from 6) and has some chance at a "low" 7. White Album seemed like a "high" 6 to me (instead of my usual rating of 6.5). Hard Days Night (5/10), Abbey Rd and Sgt Pepper (7/10) didnt seem any better or worse, except perhaps by 0.1 here or there. Fwiw...
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/15/2018 04:11
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
To anyone interested, I updated all my ratings on my criteria page from 5.0 on up. Specifically, the "combo ratings by halves". More to come (very soon I hope, but still mid evaluation).

Basically, I went back through several 5s, 5.5s, 6s, 6.5s and 7s, and in listening closely, realized I (of all people!) was semi overrating the 7.5s and 8s and 8.5s -- the qualitative parts that make them up, not so much as a "whole".

Included in this, I revisited most of The Beatles career (particularly Hard Days Night thru White Album), various Nirvana albums, For Emma Forever Ago, Bob Dylan's best then his 7s and Bringing it All Back Home (6/10), Live's Throwing Copper, Zeppelin's main albums, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, and several more...

Brief ratings notes re The Beatles: ...I now feel Rubber Soul might also be 5.5 and maybe slightly superior to the more novel art pop of Revolver (also 5.5), and MMT is probably 6.5 (up from 6) and has some chance at a "low" 7. White Album seemed like a "high" 6 to me (instead of my usual rating of 6.5). Hard Days Night (5/10), Abbey Rd and Sgt Pepper (7/10) didnt seem any better or worse, except perhaps by 0.1 here or there. Fwiw...

^^^ What I mean by "more to come" is basically more variations on how to determine the ratings better. Will explain more when I implement this.

Wasn't referring to the "half" ratings, which are probably a completed project (with the exception that there may be more variations to add to this in terms of to what degree continuity between parts can swing the rating).

DelBocaVista was very helpful in this regard. As I alluded to before, we've been going over this by PM for months.

Also, these recent ratings changes will be having an effect on my film ratings, paintings ratings and so forth -- just like I am in progress on adjusting my "song/track" ratings and as you can see the many various (mostly minor) adjustments being made to my "Greatest Rock/Jazz" list as I am revisiting tons of Rock/Jazz albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 12/16/2018 16:28
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

I don't understand how you can reconcile rating Bringing it All Back Home just 6/10 with rating Highway 61 Revisited an 8/10; it's at least a low 7.5 on that scale, especially considering the extraordinary Subterranean Homesick Blues and pretty much the whole second side. It may lack the cohesiveness of the two albums that follow it, but the actual songs are amazing.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2018 17:04
  • Post subject:
It's probably a lot of work, but it'd be interesting to see how they stack against your current listings. But you probably have enough on your plate Smile.
  • Visit poster's website