What are the best Christmas movies?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2018 03:45
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I found Christmas Holiday on YouTube and I'm about to watch it now. Never heard of it before. The actors in it don't seem like very noir-y actors. People like Deanna Durbin and Gene Kelly, old musical comedy Stars. I bet it's going to be cool though.

Gene Kelly supposedly plays a psychopath! Let us know how it is.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2018 05:25
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
Gene Kelly supposedly plays a psychopath! Let us know how it is.

It wasn't very good. The way it looks is pretty good but you never really get into the story. And it has nothing to do with Christmas whatsoever. There's not one single scene that has anything to do with Christmas other than a guy mentions that he's going to go home for Christmas, but then he never does go home. The only interested it had is that I used to live in New Orleans for a minute so I really appreciated some of the locations in it. I always enjoy when movies are made at real locations that I've actually been to. I just always like that. There's a really long scene inside St Louis Cathedral that goes on and on forever but nothing ever happens. You keep expecting an important plot point is going to happen there but it never does. You think for sure that a murder is going to happen there a gunfight is going to break out or something but it never does. The scene just ends and they leave the church. I think maybe they just liked the way it looked so they just kept filming and filming even though nothing happens there. The same thing happens at a couple other places. And Gene Kelly doesn't get to be very psychopath-y until the last minute or two of the movie. Deanna Durbin sings 2 songs in a brothel though. So that was kind of noir-y, I guess.

Last edited by bobbyb5 on 12/10/2018 05:41; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2018 05:30
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I don't know if I've mentioned it before, and I know it's on your list, but The Night Before had me laughing my ass off harder than any movie in recent memory. Given, I've got "experience" that made it extremely relatable, but yeah. Good shit. Had me crying.

Yeah, I thought night before was one of the funniest Christmas ones since Christmas Vacation. Not as funny as Ralphy though. That's my favorite one. A Christmas Story.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2018 05:51
  • Post subject:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2018 06:07
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Link

LMAO. I didn't know what the hell that was and then I saw that it said it was from Silent Night Deadly Night part 2. I never saw part 2. But now I gotta.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2018 06:18
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
LMAO. I didn't know what the hell that was and then I saw that it said it was from Silent Night Deadly Night part 2. I never saw part 2. But now I gotta.

The lead guy might be one of the worst actors ever. Make sure to watch his eyebrows. They're crazy.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 12/10/2018 17:44
  • Post subject:
Its not exactly considered among the best but the Christmas movie I've watched annually since its release was The Night Before with Seth Rogen, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Anthony Mackie. Its mostly a raunchy comedy, which is often the stuff I like, but its got some heart too.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2018 17:49
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
Its not exactly considered among the best but the Christmas movie I've watched annually since its release was The Night Before with Seth Rogen, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Anthony Mackie. Its mostly a raunchy comedy, which is often the stuff I like, but its got some heart too.

I agree 100%. It's on my list above. And someone else said they love it too. It's great.
  • Visit poster's website