A Deep Dive Into My Top 100 Albums ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2019 03:55
  • Post subject:
#93: Body And Soul // Art Tatum

A rare compilation album that I'll actually listen to(o?) without complaining.

Though I can't really complain about the existence of this compilation since albums didn't, ya know, exist when Art Tatum made his initial recordings. I found this compilation in the local record store and since it was the only one I had to take it, lest I not own some music by a master pianist.

I first encountered Art Tatum when he had a brief appearance in the 2004 biopic, Ray. Later, I encountered him whilst reading the monumentally in-depth History of Jazz book by Ted Gioia (Sidenote: 10/10 book, will read again). After reading about Tatum's lengthy pedigree as a master player, I felt I had to actually listen to some of Tatum's work to fully understand his brilliance.

His technical mastery confounded me, as well as the multiple styles he was able to emulate and even invent a few new styles in the process. The CD came later, which contains over an hour of some of the most spellbinding solo piano I've ever heard.

So take a trip way back in time to the oldest recordings on this list, and listen to one of the masters of the piano.

I can't find a link so you'll have to do the finding yourself

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2019 04:49
  • Post subject:
It's great to see the Tatum love. Indeed, a true master.
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2019 02:31
  • Post subject:
#94: Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan

Holy Shit. What an album.

As someone who's not too particularly well versed in Hip Hop, this album was quite a shock when I first listened to it. This album goes from zero to 100 in light speed, and I can't believe I made it through the first time through.

This entire album top to bottom is absolutely stunning, from the lyrics to the interplay between artists, sampling, song structure, and the producing. I don't know much else about this album, but you don't really need to know much to know about it to know it crushes.

https://www.boombapnation.com/categories/view/232241174

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 01/11/2019 03:08
  • Post subject:
#95: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea // N...Milk Hotel

I once read that this album is "Like walking along a beach with your girlfriend who you've been with since high school after she just had a miscarriage." I really hope that person isn't speaking from experience.

Regardless of the underlying root of that particular sentiment, I believe that assessment is only partly correct. While I do believe that walking on the beach with your spouse after a miscarriage is depressing and traumatic, but I feel that's only one part of the album's aesthetic. The part the aforementioned description lacks is the ever-present feeling of "Now what?"

That's the question I have every single time I listen to this album. It's an emotionally exhausting album that always leaving me feeling introspective and terribly down.

This a fantastic album to drift away to and contemplate the meaningless existence we all feel.

Link

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 01/14/2019 03:00
  • Post subject:
#96: Porgy And Bess // Miles Davis

Wildly ambitious Miles Davis strikes again!

Miles Davis could do no wrong at this point in his career. Then again, he hardly did any wrong ever. Regardless, Porgy and Bess is Miles' magnificent interpretation of George Gershwin's Opera.

Now, I've never listened to the original opera, but I'm sure Miles' interpretation is a fresh and lively update of a wonderful piece of original music. The lush and swelling orchestra accentuates Miles' trumpet, which, as usual, masterfully soars above everyone around him.

So take a moment to hear another masterpiece from Miles' catalog.

Link

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 01/14/2019 21:57
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:
#96: Porgy And Bess // Miles Davis

Wildly ambitious Miles Davis strikes again!

Miles Davis could do no wrong at this point in his career. Then again, he hardly did any wrong ever. Regardless, Porgy and Bess is Miles' magnificent interpretation of George Gershwin's Opera.

Now, I've never listened to the original opera, but I'm sure Miles' interpretation is a fresh and lively update of a wonderful piece of original music. The lush and swelling orchestra accentuates Miles' trumpet, which, as usual, masterfully soars above everyone around him.

So take a moment to hear another masterpiece from Miles' catalog.

Link

Godspeed music junkies!

So not having heard the original, it would be easy to say you're in no position to declare Miles' version "fresh and lively." ... but.... yep, I'll go ahead and confirm that for you. Better than just fresh and lively, I'd say it has Miles' unique stamp on it while remaining emotionally true to the original. One of Miles' many great accomplishments.

Although I don't generally share the same impression of his playing as I find most of his sidemen outshine him in the actual instrumental prowess department (think Cannonball and 'Trane on Kind of Blue), but in this case, Miles' inherent style is a perfect match for the piece being played, so it works here exceptionally well.

In fact, I think he exudes the mood of the piece here var better than he, for instance, captured the essence of Spain in the far more acclaimed and popular Sketches of Spain.
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2019 01:17
  • Post subject:
#97: Empyrean Isles // Herbie Hancock

Aaaaannnnnnnnd Herbie Hancock makes another appearance.

I got really into Herbie over the past year, and much like Miles Davis (whom he played with) his ability to transition between sub-genres of jazz is unparalleled.

Recorded with his peak lineup of fellow Miles Davis alumnus Ron Carter, Tony Williams, and with newcomer Freddie Hubbard, HH and co. attacked this record with a conciseness and flexibility that allows them to seamlessly switch from Hard Bop to Modal to Soul jazz. This album was Herbie's 4th as a leader, and finally brought him to the forefront of the modern giants of jazz, a reputation he would solidify further with his next album, Maiden Voyage.

This is a fantastic blend of styles that showcases a master just before full blossoming, and a record worthy of many, many listens.

Link

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2019 02:55
  • Post subject:
Yes!

Great album. Herbie was already blending sub genres and, like Miles, expanding the jazz palette.

I do have to throw out one quibble. Freddie Hubbard was hardly a newcomer in 1964, having already released 10 albums as a leader, a couple of which are jazz classics, as well as having many appearances as a sideman. That said, he did expand his sound working with Herbie.
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2019 16:50
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
I do have to throw out one quibble. Freddie Hubbard was hardly a newcomer in 1964, having already released 10 albums as a leader, a couple of which are jazz classics, as well as having many appearances as a sideman.

Oops! Must've mixed him up with someone else. That's what I get for not confirming information before posting it hahaha
  • Visit poster's website
ramthecowy

United States

• Posted: 01/22/2019 21:41
  • Post subject:
Was out of the loop from this place for a while, came back to see your latest picks there's some top notch stuff! NMH, Hancock, even the Wu! Damn man, you're killing it and I always love coming back to read your thoughts. Smile
  • Visit poster's website