"Thunder only happens when it's raining"

- Fleetwood Mac
 
2018 Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif




#371 | Posted: 01/08/2019 20:09 | Post subject: Reply with quote
travelful wrote:

Tana Talk 3 by Benny The Butcher

underrated hip-hop record. one of the years best.


Yeah, Griselda had a very good year. Probably slightly preferred Westside Gunn's Supreme Blientele, though Benny is undoubtedly the most skilled rapper of the lot. Brilliant Mobb Deep throwback shit.
_________________
2019 in full effect. Come drop me some recs.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Hayden




Location: CDMX
Canada

#372 | Posted: 01/17/2019 04:05 | Post subject: Reply with quote

Origami Harvest by Ambrose Akinmusire

Possibly a little overlooked. Less jazz-rap and more jazz with rapping. Solid stuff.
_________________
The Strange, The Obscure, The Great
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

CryingGameDahlin
Disgraced Olympiad



Location: AUS --- PHI

#373 | Posted: 01/18/2019 03:32 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Hayden wrote:

Origami Harvest by Ambrose Akinmusire

Possibly a little overlooked. Less jazz-rap and more jazz with rapping. Solid stuff.


TBH found it rather underwhelming compared to his previous releases, prefer it when he's a bit more fiery on his... Trumpet to this more standard crossover jazz but it's aight enough.

Anyways Still going through 2018 albums so any recs are welcome as long as there's no fucking trap snares or body switching with Kendall Jenner
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif




#374 | Posted: 01/18/2019 06:51 | Post subject: Reply with quote
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Origami Harvest by Ambrose Akinmusire

Possibly a little overlooked. Less jazz-rap and more jazz with rapping. Solid stuff.


TBH found it rather underwhelming compared to his previous releases, prefer it when he's a bit more fiery on his... Trumpet to this more standard crossover jazz but it's aight enough.

Anyways Still going through 2018 albums so any recs are welcome as long as there's no fucking trap snares or body switching with Kendall Jenner


You should totes check out Proc Fiskal's Insula, which is this sped-up instrumental grime album full of beautiful melodies and a lightness of touch not normally associated with the genre. It uses video game sounds and assorted vocal clips really cleverly, and is somehow both airily serene and yet hyperactive at the same time.

There's a good chance you've heard it, but Blood Orange released another gorgeous collection of queasy, fragile, half-finished, slyly funky, Prince-indebted, intimate R'n'B balladry with a rotating cast of carefully curated collaborators and right-on interview samples that really tie the thing together. His stuff is winking and fussy, though, so it's not for everyone.

Haley Heynderickx has a fucking beautiful voice, and her I Need to Start a Garden is a strong set of folk-rock songs, with some quietly progressive production choices. She's like a wordier Angel Olsen, or a more muscular Fionn Regan.

I bigged up Makaya McCraven elsewhere in this thread. Dense, propulsive, modern jazz with a trip-hop sensibility.

Nathan Salsburg put out another album of comforting, rural fingerpicking. His shit just feels immediately familiar, and I find myself putting it on all the time, despite - or, rather, because of - it being super inoffensive.

RP Boo feels like he's been around longer, and is still doing more interesting things, than anybody else in footwork.

I could not understand Shygirl's Cruel Practice for the life of me, but it felt vital.

Soccer Mommy's smart and catchy throwback '90s alt-rock teencom soundtrack fodder kept me going on many walks to work, and she was mad charming live. I like her stuff.

Tirzah's Devotion is clearly a masterpiece and should be widely regarded as one.
_________________
2019 in full effect. Come drop me some recs.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Daydreamer





#375 | Posted: 01/19/2019 12:22 | Post subject: Reply with quote

V. by Wooden Shjips


This is pretty good. Psychedelic, fuzzy, spacey, groovy. Sounds like a summer record but I enjoyed listening to it in the past few days.
_________________
All time

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

CryingGameDahlin
Disgraced Olympiad



Location: AUS --- PHI

#376 | Posted: 01/19/2019 14:25 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Skinny wrote:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Origami Harvest by Ambrose Akinmusire

Possibly a little overlooked. Less jazz-rap and more jazz with rapping. Solid stuff.


TBH found it rather underwhelming compared to his previous releases, prefer it when he's a bit more fiery on his... Trumpet to this more standard crossover jazz but it's aight enough.

Anyways Still going through 2018 albums so any recs are welcome as long as there's no fucking trap snares or body switching with Kendall Jenner


You should totes check out Proc Fiskal's Insula, which is this sped-up instrumental grime album full of beautiful melodies and a lightness of touch not normally associated with the genre. It uses video game sounds and assorted vocal clips really cleverly, and is somehow both airily serene and yet hyperactive at the same time.

There's a good chance you've heard it, but Blood Orange released another gorgeous collection of queasy, fragile, half-finished, slyly funky, Prince-indebted, intimate R'n'B balladry with a rotating cast of carefully curated collaborators and right-on interview samples that really tie the thing together. His stuff is winking and fussy, though, so it's not for everyone.

Haley Heynderickx has a fucking beautiful voice, and her I Need to Start a Garden is a strong set of folk-rock songs, with some quietly progressive production choices. She's like a wordier Angel Olsen, or a more muscular Fionn Regan.

I bigged up Makaya McCraven elsewhere in this thread. Dense, propulsive, modern jazz with a trip-hop sensibility.

Nathan Salsburg put out another album of comforting, rural fingerpicking. His shit just feels immediately familiar, and I find myself putting it on all the time, despite - or, rather, because of - it being super inoffensive.

RP Boo feels like he's been around longer, and is still doing more interesting things, than anybody else in footwork.

I could not understand Shygirl's Cruel Practice for the life of me, but it felt vital.

Soccer Mommy's smart and catchy throwback '90s alt-rock teencom soundtrack fodder kept me going on many walks to work, and she was mad charming live. I like her stuff.

Tirzah's Devotion is clearly a masterpiece and should be widely regarded as one.




Yeah I heard most of those but maybe this prompts a re-listen. My headphones went to shit though so will have to wait a day
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

19loveless91
dipl. kult.



Slovenia

#377 | Posted: 01/20/2019 20:26 | Post subject: Reply with quote
For any last 2018 recs, I'm gonna plug this end of year list from a radio station that I write for occasionally (not music related things) https://radiostudent.si/Glasba/DJ-Grafi...bumov-2018.
Or rather two end of year charts, one also exclusively for slovenian albums. From those I haven't heard that many, although I will recommend balans, not that great, but it's got a pretty interesting sound, and that Motorik beat all over the album. And maybe Tovariš Strmoglavljen. Matter are the slovene idea of trap and are beyond parody at this point.


Last edited by 19loveless91 on 01/23/2019 21:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

travelful




Age: 22
Location: Orlando, Florida
United States

#378 | Posted: 01/21/2019 01:46 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Daydreamer wrote:

V. by Wooden Shjips


This is pretty good. Psychedelic, fuzzy, spacey, groovy. Sounds like a summer record but I enjoyed listening to it in the past few days.


Thanks for the rec, I'll check it out. Sounds like something up my alleyway.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38
Page 38 of 38
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts Sticky: 2018 BTT BRACKETS (And Discussion?) CryingGameDahlin Games 94 04/19/2019 17:59 View latest post
CryingGameDahlin
No new posts [ Poll ] NHL 2018/19 junodog4 Lounge 9 04/21/2019 02:50 View latest post
junodog4
No new posts 2018 ★ Best Of musicoed Games 113 12/30/2018 20:11 View latest post
musicoed
No new posts [ Poll ] 2018 BTT RD4 - If You Know You Know v... Jimmy Dread Games 14 04/06/2019 20:00 View latest post
Jimmy Dread
No new posts MLB 2018 StreetSpirit Lounge 19 11/03/2018 01:24 View latest post
rockinsteve

 
 

Powered by phpBB©



Copyright © 2005-2019 BestEverAlbums.com. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Us  |   Advertising  |   RSS Feeds  |   Site Map