Films you watched recently

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 233, 234, 235, 236  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/23/2018 22:41
  • Post subject:
I'm not gonna be finished with 2018 until January 18 (I'm waiting to see Roma in 70mm at the Music Box, and Cold War isn't coming to Chicago until then), but I guess I should post what will probably be my top 10 least favorite movies of the year.

10. Mid90s
9. Jeanette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc
8. First Man
7. Infinity War
6. Mama Mia: Here We Go Again
5. Suspiria
4. Death of a Nation
3. Love Simon
2. The Death of Stalin
Andddddd
1. The House That Jack Built

(All but 9 and 1 I saw in theaters)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/24/2018 03:42
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

10. Mid90s
9. Jeanette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc
8. First Man
7. Infinity War
6. Mama Mia: Here We Go Again
5. Suspiria
4. Death of a Nation
3. Love Simon
2. The Death of Stalin
Andddddd
1. The House That Jack Built

(All but 9 and 1 I saw in theaters)

I almost decided to watch Jeanette the other day and just... well... didn't. Mainly interested in the whack concept. Haven't gotten around to Suspiria either, but I figure I can wait on that. Don't plan on watching Death of A Nation or Love Simon. Thought Mid90's was aight (for what it was), Mamma Mia was fun but empty, First Man was lacklustre, and Infinity War was boring, but I still feel I've seen worse pictures this year (sadly). I think Bel Canto and Josie are clocking the bottom of my 2018 list right now, but Red Sparrow and The Happy Prince are floating around there too. Bit disappointed you didn't dig The House That Jack Built or The Death of Stalin... but they're definitely divisive. It's all good though. I think you'll dig both Roma and Cold War. Have you gotten around to seeing Climax yet Charlie? Kept feeling like that'd be one of 2018's biggest, but it's been slightly elusive outside Europe (still looking forward to seeing it myself).

Some recent watches, enjoyed in this order:
An Elephant Sitting Still (Dir. Hu Bo)
Everybody Knows (Dir. Asghar Farhadi)
The Sisters Brothers (Dir. Jacques Audiard)
Colette (Dir. Wash Westmoreland)
Under The Silver Lake (Dir. David Robert Mitchell)
Un Couteau Dans Le Cœur (Dir. Yann Gonzalez)

None of which were close to perfect, but definitely have some redeeming bits. Figure the top 2-3 there will land somewhere on my best of the year list. Next up are 1985, Leave No Trance and Yardie.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 12/27/2018 13:40
  • Post subject:
Last night I checked out a movie called The Way. It was a little independent movie released back in 2010. It was directed by Emilio Estevez and stars his father Martin Sheen, an older man who decides to walk the Camino de Santiago when his son passes away.

I was sort of drawn to this mostly because I found out Emilio Estevez directed it. I know he sort of left his acting career to try and focus on directing, but he's only done about a handful of films. This seemed like a bit of a passion project for him since apparently his son met his wife during a journey over this 800km trail.

I also see that Emilio has a whole new film in the can called The Public that I hope to see. It's his first directorial effort and live action performance since The Way.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 12/28/2018 14:13
  • Post subject:
Last night I watched a movie that came out earlier this year called Assassination Nation. It was directed by Sam Levinson, who is the son of Barry Levinson.

Its another film that is sort of criticizing our modern society in the world of social media. I don't know how much money it made, but its violence was enough to make it fun and I wouldn't be shocked if it developed a bit of a cult following in the years to come.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 01/02/2019 16:01
  • Post subject:
Last night I checked out Bad Times at the El Royale, the Drew Goddard film. It came out in October and was swept away pretty quickly because no one went to see it. I was hoping to get to a theater to check it out, but unfortunately I was pretty busy at the time and only got to see A Star is Born and Halloween during October.

BTATER is essentially Goddard's attempt at a Tarantino movie. It especially feels similar to Pulp Fiction with several little pieces of the film taking place out of order. I was just completely in love with the movie. It is a bit long, but it never really felt that way. Probably because I was so in love with the world the film takes place in.

The ensemble cast is really great and I hope it'll find a second wind on Netflix or some other streaming site. The 6 year wait between films was way to long for Drew Goddard. This guy continuously does good work whether its writing or directing. I think he's expected to direct X-Force next if it still happens after the Disney purchase.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 01/16/2019 12:22
  • Post subject:
The Terror (1963): This is a Roger Corman movie that features Jack Nicholson and Boris Karloff, both of who worked with Corman before this. Roger Corman is known for being pretty tight with his spending so The Terror basically reused a set used on his adaptation of The Raven. As expected its pretty low budget and not really that great. Performances are good, but its fairly boring to watch.

What They Had (2018): A solid little family drama with a great cast. It features Hilary Swank, Michael Shannon, Robert Foster and Blythe Danner. The characters are pretty much recycled from better movies but the performances are really excellent and it portrays a family that is struggling with Alzheimer's disease which is pretty relatable.

The Last Laugh (2019): My first Netflix original of 2019 and I was pretty underwhelmed. Richard Dreyfuss and Chevy Chase team up to go on a road trip/comedy tour. The film just isn't funny, even when Dreyfuss is on stage doing standup.

The Bill Murray Story (2018): Of the films listed I recommend this one the most. Its a 70 minute documentary featuring Bill Murray at his best. This film makes an effort to explore Bill Murray's random adventures where he just randomly appears at a party with regular people. Its surprisingly moving and currently on Netflix.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 01/23/2019 20:55
  • Post subject:
Roma.

I see what all the fuss is about, but it certainly didn't get that kind of a reaction from me.

Interestingly it seems all the reviews are either raving five star love fests or abject condemnations.

Personally, I don't put it at either extreme, but I definitely lean toward the lower end of the scale. The occasionally clever symbolism can't compensate for the complete lack of plot, climax, etc. and the thoroughly deadpan acting of every last main character. The movie really didn't go anywhere and it didn't resolve anything. It was somewhat effective as a slice of life presented is a sort of retro Italian black and white landscape.

The title was also confusing to anyone who doesn't bother to research it. Despite the obvious Italian influence, the title has nothing to do with Italy. It is called Roma because it takes place in the Roma neighborhood of Mexico City (something nobody who doesn't live there would know) and is never mentioned in the movie.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/23/2019 22:55
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
The title was also confusing to anyone who doesn't bother to research it. Despite the obvious Italian influence, the title has nothing to do with Italy.

Coincidentally, that's how my review of Donnie Darko begins.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 01/23/2019 23:00
  • Post subject:
My most recently seen film is Ring The Bell starring Ryan Scharoun, Ashley Nicole Anderson, and Casey Bond.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 04/07/2019 20:57
  • Post subject:
Babylon is a wonderful little film set in early 80's brixton and I think Skinny especially would love it
  • Visit poster's website