BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2019 18:56
  • Post subject:
If It Ain't Broke... :The Dihansse Old School Metal Edition

The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden

vs.

The Wörld Is Yours by Motörhead

It takes some balls. I'll give dihansse that. To pick two widely considered over the hill bands for best albums of 2010. Both these bands were THIRTY years past their prime early 80s peak in 2010. THIRTY YEARS! That's older than half u twits out there! Pretty crazy.

And I love it. I love that dihansse continues to champion these older, aging no longer appreciated bands. Because so many of them continue to crank out solid and sometimes even great albums. Were these bands & albums essential listening in 2010?! Hell no! BUT, if you're a fan of when punk met metal back in 1978 and worship at the altar that was prime Maiden and Motorhead as I do, then these are certainly a joy to listen to and definitely recommended to fans of both bands.

I doubt either of these will crack my top twenty for 2010, but both albums are strong enough that I can't decide which one I like better over the first couple of spins. I just know that there both pretty darn good and fans of both bands won't be disappointed. Of course if you don't like early 80s prime Maiden & Motorhead, there's really no sense wasting your time with these. Nothing here is gonna change your mind.

• Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/11/2019 19:47
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
If It Ain't Broke... :The Dihansse Old School Metal Edition

The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden

vs.

The Wörld Is Yours by Motörhead

It takes some balls. I'll give dihansse that. To pick two widely considered over the hill bands for best albums of 2010. Both these bands were THIRTY years past their prime early 80s peak in 2010. THIRTY YEARS! That's older than half u twits out there! Pretty crazy.

And I love it. I love that dihansse continues to champion these older, aging no longer appreciated bands. Because so many of them continue to crank out solid and sometimes even great albums. Were these bands & albums essential listening in 2010?! Hell no! BUT, if you're a fan of when punk met metal back in 1978 and worship at the altar that was prime Maiden and Motorhead as I do, then these are certainly a joy to listen to and definitely recommended to fans of both bands.

I doubt either of these will crack my top twenty for 2010, but both albums are strong enough that I can't decide which one I like better over the first couple of spins. I just know that there both pretty darn good and fans of both bands won't be disappointed. Of course if you don't like early 80s prime Maiden & Motorhead, there's really no sense wasting your time with these. Nothing here is gonna change your mind.

Thx for dismissing me as the old geezer I am Tilly; but I have to admit: because this year was in my opinion not one of the most innovative years in music (the more recent years are much better at that) I selected some older bands in my top chart of the year. Plus I always try to listen to albums on their own merits not just because they fit or don't fit in the spirit of that particular time.

Just to put it in perspective: The Final Frontier is my 7th favorite album of Iron Maiden, even before Fear Of The Dark (but this should change when I find the time to give this one a new spin) and The Wörld is Yours is my 6th favorite one of Motörhead. So all in all not bad for bands which have survived some wars. And while neither of the two albums really tread new grounds, they're still albums in the best tradition of both bands.

On The Final Frontier: although not of the caliber of Hallowed Be Thy Name or Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, this album also contains one of those classic epic Maiden tracks: Isle Of Avalon: a good story, some good guitar solos and a song which drives you from start to finish in a blink of an eye even it takes more than 9 minutes to get you there. Coming Home is an over the top hymn but hey who cares: it's Iron Maiden and as a coincidence I was just reading an interview with Bruce in which it seeps through every sentence that he doesn't take anything except his music seriously. In short a worthy addition the the Maiden legacy.

And then Motörhead: incredible that Lemmy after all these years didn't (sorry past tense) change a thing to his music was still able to pull it off and make an album that was still worth listening to and even more. The opener Born To Lose is already great but Get Back In line (which is one of the most infectious songs he ever wrote) and Rock 'n Roll Music (that's what it is: need I say more) are the winners here. The rawness of this album just can't be matched by any of the other bands of the year.

So two classic hardrock feats: epic guitar music and raw hardrock, very different but both equally good and both deserve a high place on the chart of the year. I can only recommend to have a listen to them with a fresh view.

Btw if I search my 2010 chart for other metal albums I see Kylesa's Spiral Shadow (a suppose a fairly modern answer to old psychedelic hardrock) and Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold (more in the Metallica style). Both of these are ranked much lower though.
Plus of course I'll have to check out a few of the other metal names in the list above of course.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/11/2019 20:02
  • Post subject:
And while we're in the hard sector I can't help commenting on this great new discovery introduced by Tha1chiefrocka:

Unsilent Death by Nails
Literally a brutal nuclear assault on your ears but certainly not on your patience: 10 tracks fly by in 14 minutes even when there are those two epic tracks of approx 3 minutes Wink
Very much recommended in the hard sector with a mixture between hardcore punk and death metal and ready to be included in my chart of the year.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2019 16:33
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
And while we're in the hard sector I can't help commenting on this great new discovery introduced by Tha1chiefrocka:

Unsilent Death by Nails
Literally a brutal nuclear assault on your ears but certainly not on your patience: 10 tracks fly by in 14 minutes even when there are those two epic tracks of approx 3 minutes Wink
Very much recommended in the hard sector with a mixture between hardcore punk and death metal and ready to be included in my chart of the year.

I would have loved the shit out of this in the 80s & 90s.

So I guess I'm the one who's the old geezer!!! Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/12/2019 17:52
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Unsilent Death by Nails

I would have loved the shit out of this in the 80s & 90s.

So I guess I'm the one who's the old geezer!!! Laughing

LOL Dancing

I couldn't help listening to their second album as well which they stretched out to the epic length of 18 minutes also for ten tracks but I didn't like it as much because I found it was less hardcore/punk and more sludge/metal/grindcore.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/14/2019 21:50
  • Post subject:
I liked the most recent album of The National (Sleep Well Beast of 2017) very much and thought it was their best until I listened to High Violet again which I had ignored a bit.

High Violet by The National

And boy have I underrated this album! I don't know why but it hits me spot-on a very deep emotional level whatever people say about Matt Berninger's voice. The highlights to me are Runaway and England.
And you know what it even jumps to the top rank in my personal top chart of 2010.
Thx Komo and Purplepash for making me listen to this masterpiece again.
Btw I'm listening back to Trouble Will Find Me and it's not even remotely as brilliant as High Violet.
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 02/15/2019 09:42
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
I liked the most recent album of The National (Sleep Well Beast of 2017) very much and thought it was their best until I listened to High Violet again which I had ignored a bit.

And boy have I underrated this album! I don't know why but it hits me spot-on a very deep emotional level whatever people say about Matt Berninger's voice. The highlights to me are Runaway and England.
And you know what it even jumps to the top rank in my personal top chart of 2010.
Btw I'm listening back to Trouble Will Find Me and it's not even remotely as brilliant as High Violet.

That's great. It's my favourite The National album. It kept bringing me back and grew on me more each time until I was loving and singing along to every song.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2019 13:45
  • Post subject:
Purplepash wrote:
dihansse wrote:

That's great. It's my favourite The National album. It kept bringing me back and grew on me more each time until I was loving and singing along to every song.

This is my favorite from the National too.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2019 15:45
  • Post subject:
It's impossible for me to have a favorite National album. All so good. This is definitely up there though! I'll try to rank them later, but it will be really tough. Confused
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 02/25/2019 11:21
  • Post subject:
Are interim progress reports welcome? I know I would be interested in seeing how others are doing. I'm just under a third of the way through.
  • Visit poster's website