Love Is All We Have Left
3%
 3%  [1]
Total Votes : 30

Yann

France

• Posted: 02/14/2019 12:29
  • Post subject:
Yeah, we can triple that list and it will still sound as uniform. Let's observe by comparison how The Edge, with one instrument, generates more distinctive variety, and how production highlights what he creates (production is always crucial in its choices)
I believe that the expression indie music correspond to a reality, with some common traits. When you step back a bit from listening to music, these characteristics become even more visible.
I tried above to sum up the general feel of those records (granted, I could have used the words teenage angst, it’s the same idea). I could add that production and songwriting play a major role. For example Nirvana’s Nevermind has teenage angst but a “wide open” production (you’ll say I’m being cryptic again!) and a solid songwriting that don’t make it another indie record.

This website (that I like very much) has a tendency to call all-time classics some fairly good indie records like Funeral.
However, I try to have discernment, and I find very touching and beautiful when an indie band raises its game and achieve greatness. An obvious example is MBV with Loveless. My opinion is that Funeral is extremely far from that: despite a long list of instruments, it’s a uniform record. They should have hired Steve Lilywhite! (but the songwriting is also uniform…again: just compare with the Joshua Tree!)
  • Visit poster's website
hestiacarrow1994

• Posted: 02/15/2019 03:26
  • Post subject:
Beautiful Day (All That You Can't Leave Behind)
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 02/16/2019 15:42
  • Post subject:
If there is one thing that U2 does well, it is starting out. In small doses, they function as energizing self-indulgence. It’s only after several tracks that their sanctimonious posturing begins to wear thin, like unnecessary exclamation points on capitalized text.
  • Visit poster's website
LebowskiRams
LebowskiRams

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2019 21:38
  • Post subject:
I've heard maybe two songs by U2, where should I start?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2019 23:27
  • Post subject:
LebowskiRams wrote:
I've heard maybe two songs by U2, where should I start?

My experience with people talking about what they like about U2 there's probably 5 camps (chronological order):

1) Post-punk
This is the stint of albums from Boy to Under A Blood Red Sky. If you like straight forward post-punk music, start here.

2) Americana/Eno/Ambient
If you like ethereal Enocafication mixed with a tinge of blues/americana, but mostly just the unique sound U2 created, start here. (The Unforgettable Fire to Rattle and Hum).

3) The Dark 90s
This is the sound of U2 chopping down the Joshua Tree as per Bono. It's a time of self doubt and self-mockery (both of the band and society at large). It culminated with the Pop-Mart Tour where the final phase of evolution was consumerism and their tour or album release party started at a K-Mart. A bit more electronic. (Achtung Baby through Pop)

4) "return" to RAWK (totally kidding, not sure what to call this... but it was like their second coming or something and got a new generation of fans)
You've bound to have heard Beautiful Day and Vertigo. If those jam with you, this period likely will jam with you. (ATYCLB through HTDAAB - maybe through No Line On The Horizon... but that might belong in 5)

5) Why, good lord, why are you still making music (or - hey we can be on the radio now)
This is the last two albums they made. Mixed reactions here.

So I suppose it just depends on which of those seem most appealing to you.

Most people are going to agree that Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are their best albums, with a healthy competition of War or Boy for those that only like them as a Post-Punk band.
  • Visit poster's website