Chess thread

View previous topic :: View next topic
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/06/2018 00:50
  • Post subject: Chess thread
Any chess fans? I watched the incredible Sinquefield cup annihilation a few years back and it changed my life forever! I don't watch anymore though because its turned into a joke. Last World Championship was awful Neither contender tried to go for a win on any of the full length games as they both wanted to decide everything in the rapid. Not real Chess! Anyone else frustrated Sad
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/07/2018 15:58
  • Post subject:
Ye I play chess. Not turned into a joke, it wasn't the best or most exciting matchup the last time around, that much is true.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 06/07/2018 20:11
  • Post subject:
I guess I prefer it when Vishwanathan is playing in the championship, his only game win his final championship was a piece of art!
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2018 19:30
  • Post subject:
I used to play a lot, then I stopped for nearly a decade. But recently started playing again.

How about this Carlsen-Caruana World Championship match? Somebody's got to win at some point. Maybe today.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/07/2018 19:08
  • Post subject:
I used to play a ton. I stopped about the time I had my first kid (which also happens to coincide with when I really slowed down my consumption of/staying current with music).

Kids are grown now. 21yo Daughter came home to visit and brought a chess set and asked me to teach her. Boy did I dust off some old cobwebs out of my skull. Fortunately, she was only ready for the basics, so it wasn't too tough.

Coincidentally, as my kids entered their teens, they all became big music fans and the really helped me regain some currency.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/10/2018 22:57
  • Post subject:
Carlsen is a really methodical player. He knew how much of an advantage he had over Caruana in shorter time controls and played the entire match safe. Caruana seemed to have outprepared him, but never got enough of an advantage.

I wonder how you could change the format of matches to avoid that. It's not a good look that there were 22/24 undecided games in last two World Championship matchups.

Otherwise, yeah I have played chess my entire life pretty much (FIDE ELO high of 2260) and started to teach these last couple of years.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2018 00:59
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Carlsen is a really methodical player. He knew how much of an advantage he had over Caruana in shorter time controls and played the entire match safe. Caruana seemed to have outprepared him, but never got enough of an advantage.

I wonder how you could change the format of matches to avoid that. It's not a good look that there were 22/24 undecided games in last two World Championship matchups.

I didn't start following the games until around Game 9. Didn't realize it was going on and busy af for Games 1-8. I heard Caruana had opportunities to win a game or two but couldn't pull it off. But once I started following it, Game 12 was obviously the most noteworthy game. I couldn't believe Carlsen would offer a draw with a stronger position and huge time advantage. In fact, me and a friend played that game out twice from where they left off. We swapped colors so we could each have the pleasure of playing as Carlsen. Both times the player in Carlsen's position won, and we didn't even account for Caruana's 7ish minutes remaining. Granted, we're not as good as they are. But still, it's puzzling from nearly everyone's perspective that the draw even happened. The match could've been over two days earlier. But yes, Carlsen must've been so confident in his rapid game skills, that he played it safe. And clearly it worked as he whooped ass in the rapid tie-breaker games.

I don't mind the format because it's completely fair. However 22 draws in 24 games is kinda boring. If that trend continues, then yes I would support reforming it. How? I don't know. Make games shorter?
  • Visit poster's website
Cowzero

• Posted: 02/18/2019 09:17
  • Post subject:
Es información útil, gracias.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website