Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 01:36
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Baystate, can I give you an album by a black artist that you haven't heard, and or hasn't been listened to to death? I mean, all the artists to choose from there are great, but they are also the same ones you see on every chart of black artists.

This isn't quite your typical soul album, but it's one of the best.

Come To My Garden by Minnie Riperton

How about this? Pick one from my list and I'll listen to both whatever you pick and Come To My Garden. One-time offer, because freeform recs are for the other album below you thread. You say "hasn't been listened to to death", but that's kinda what a canon is Wink

P.S. Adult contemporary?? Damn that's a harsh descriptor. It's better written than a lot of 90s alt-rock albums, even if it didn't have the energy you were hoping for.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 03:04
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:
I know you've explained your name in terms of other things with personal significance before, but does it also have a tie-in to Kanye literally calling himself "The one Chief Rocka" on Guilt Trip?

Nope, just the classic from LOTUG.

Link

I really despised Kanye when I was in high school, so my memories of Yeezus are not fond.

There's a lot of rappers that quote this. I wanna say Will.I.Am and Wyclef Jean have at least as well. Not sure if it originates from this?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 04:11
  • Post subject:

First Utterance by Comus

I really don't know what to say about this. A part of me really likes it and a part of me gets a 70s white dude vibe that doesn't jive with me (I almost said prog). I read a review of it and it was like, what you dance to in your underwear under the moonlight, and yes, that aptly describes this music. I should like this given I like a decent amount of music in this direction, but perhaps the moonlight underwear dance was a bit odd enough for me. I'll give it an 80-85/100 for now. Funnily enough a lot of what I haven't listened to is metal, so based on the name alone I thought this was going to be a metal album... Anyway, some really cool string stuff and stuff with things. But like accoustic proglike annoyances to boot, even if it seemed more subtle and less annoying and maybe if I give this more of a chance I'd like it.

2. Chief:

Like A Prayer by Madonna

3. (I gone dun learned a secret (obvious thing that I never thought about before) and white is a color, so I don't have to update this every time and then also not break the rules and list more than 10).
173. Blackwater Park by Opeth (2001)
215. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden (1988)
228. Vol 4 by Black Sabbath (1974) - needs a rating
256. Still Life by Opeth (1999)
274. Human by Death (1991)
275. Tabula rasa by Arvo Pärt (1977)
280. Leaves Turn Inside You by Unwound (1984)
291. A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Guaraldi (1965) - I own (green vinyl), but haven't rated
293. Acabou Chorare by Novos Baianos (1972) (Enjoyed, but haven't rated)
300. Mirage by Camel (1974)
301. Zombie by Fela Anikulapo Kuti and Afrika 70 (1977)
302. Olé Coltrane by John Coltrane (1961)
308. 154 by Wire (1979)
309. Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer (1990)
314. Mount Eerie by The Microphones (2003)
315. The Ape of Naples by Coil (2005)
317. Black on Both Sides by Mos Def (1999)
320. We got it from Here... Thank You 4 Your service by A Tribe Called Quest (2016)

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/19/2019 04:29; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 04:27
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Baystate, can I give you an album by a black artist that you haven't heard, and or hasn't been listened to to death? I mean, all the artists to choose from there are great, but they are also the same ones you see on every chart of black artists.

This isn't quite your typical soul album, but it's one of the best.

Come To My Garden by Minnie Riperton

How about this? Pick one from my list and I'll listen to both whatever you pick and Come To My Garden. One-time offer, because freeform recs are for the other album below you thread. You say "hasn't been listened to to death", but that's kinda what a canon is Wink

P.S. Adult contemporary?? Damn that's a harsh descriptor. It's better written than a lot of 90s alt-rock albums, even if it didn't have the energy you were hoping for.

That's fair. I kind of remembered what the whole point of this was after I made my request. Listen to the Funkadelic self-titled.
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 02/19/2019 08:50
  • Post subject:

The Gilded Palace Of Sin by The Flying ...o Brothers

This is the first Gram Parsons related project I've listened to and I wasn't really impressed. Way too twangy country for my taste and not enough rock for country rock. Apart from the two Burrito songs and the Hippy Boy story i was all a bit dull.

Seth this is next.

Acabou Chorare by Novos Baianos

From Rocka's best albums of the 60s (last pick from this list - there is a few left I want to hear)

Death Chants, Breakdowns & Military Waltzes - John Fahey
At San Quentin - Johnny Cash
For The Sake Of The Song - Townes Van Zandt
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young
Take Ten - Paul Desmond
Night Lights - Gerry Mulligan
Uncle Meat - The Mothers Of Invention
And Then Again - Elvin Jones
Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music - Ray Charles
The Who Sell Out - The Who
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 02/19/2019 10:11
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Exile In Guyville by Liz Phair

One of the comments on this site about this album is that it "still sounds as fresh today" as it did back then. Yeah, no. This has the early 90s alternative/adult contemporary scene all over it, and don't let slightly inflammatory commentary make you think otherwise. It's OK, but it's nothing that I'll need to return to soon. I was expecting something with a little more energy as the cover and the lyrics suggest.

This was what we called a lo-fi album, and lo-fi is an intellectual posture, because it's supposed to be more real and intimate, where in fact music doesn't sound like that in a studio (it rather sounds hi-fi, which makes sense: hi-fidelity to the sound created).
So engineering an album as lo-fi is like putting a filter with little scratches and so to a picture. It can make sense, depending of the subject. On this particular album, I think it does make sense with the themes developed, and the personality of Liz Phair. Lo-fi is another kind of punk attitude, a sort of whispered punk. In that perspective, I think it's a great album.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 13:58
  • Post subject:

Suede by Suede

Took me forever to get to this (my bad) but I'm glad I finally did. Every time I listen to Suede I'm reminded of what a good britpop band they were, and this album was a prime example of that. I really wish they were on Spotify so I could listen to them more often.

----

Purple, give Uncle Meat a listen

Uncle Meat by The Mothers Of Invention

----

Here's my list:

483. Humbug - Arctic Monkeys
500. Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
515. Ray of Light - Madonna
535. Out of the Blue - ELO
542. The Mollusk - Ween
547. White Pony - Deftones
550. Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
554. Jar of Flies - Alice in Chains
559. Pretenders - The Pretenders
564. The Kick Inside - Kate Bush

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 21:38
  • Post subject:
(1)

I'm back! Sorry for that few day wait. Was kept up with some work as well as getting personal stuff done like some albums not from 2000 as well as one album from 2000 that isn't in the list.

But for this record, at first I thought this might be a good record at best. However, the further the record went on, it was captivating due to the sound palette of the album as well as the vocals on this album sounding personal and honest. Could go further on. But as of now this is a 90.

(2)Hey Rocky, welcome back. My pick will be Ray Of Light. Even though this was a hard choice since there was The Mollusk as well as Jar Of Flies. Though I don't know if I would get the chance to pick from your list.

(3)
Best Ever Albums 2000 List
#31 Lightbulb Sun-Porcupine Tree
#32 Mer De Noms-A Perfect Circle
#34 Black Market Music-Placebo
#39 Brave New World-Iron Madien
#45 Veni Vidi Vicious-The Hives
#51 Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants-Oasis
#52 Binaural-Pearl Jam
#53 Greatest Hits P-Queen
#54 Internal Wrangler-Clinic
#55 Bachelor No.2-Aimee Mann
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2019 22:29
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Exile In Guyville by Liz Phair

One of the comments on this site about this album is that it "still sounds as fresh today" as it did back then. Yeah, no. This has the early 90s alternative/adult contemporary scene all over it, and don't let slightly inflammatory commentary make you think otherwise. It's OK, but it's nothing that I'll need to return to soon. I was expecting something with a little more energy as the cover and the lyrics suggest.

This was what we called a lo-fi album, and lo-fi is an intellectual posture, because it's supposed to be more real and intimate, where in fact music doesn't sound like that in a studio (it rather sounds hi-fi, which makes sense: hi-fidelity to the sound created).
So engineering an album as lo-fi is like putting a filter with little scratches and so to a picture. It can make sense, depending of the subject. On this particular album, I think it does make sense with the themes developed, and the personality of Liz Phair. Lo-fi is another kind of punk attitude, a sort of whispered punk. In that perspective, I think it's a great album.

While I appreciate anyone defending an album they enjoy, I'm not going to let this be called "lo-fi".

This is lo-fi

Beat Happening by Beat Happening

This is lo-fi

Alien Lanes by Guided By Voices

Most of the recording on the album was straightforward. A couple of tracks might have delved into the region, but I wouldn't call it lo-fi no matter what wikipedia says.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2019 05:05
  • Post subject:

Like A Prayer by Madonna

It's good pop music. It's well produced, by Patrick Leonard, and it has a great lineup of session musicians to record, so it should be good. Madonna sounds really poppy on this album, especially on a song like "Cherish". Definitely feels like I should be walking around a mall with that playing. There's a Prince song, which is an obvious Prince song. The ballad type songs are a little saccharine sounding, but they were fine. "Keep It Together" was one of the better funky dance tracks. But, once again, that's really on the production and the session musicians, including Prince on guitar, that make the track great. If it were Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, hell, even Paula Abdul, it would still work.

Luigii, listen to Clinic- Internal Wrangler. They're part of the garage rock revival along with The Hives on there, but they're a bit weirder. Always dressed as doctors.

August and Everything After- Counting Crows
Metropolis Pt. 2- Dream theater
Sam's Town- The Killers
Use Your Illusion II- Guns N Roses
Rising- Rainbow
Hopes and Fears- Keane
West Pauper Lunatic Asylum- Kasabian
Stange Mercy- St Vincent
Continuum- John Mayer
Armed Forces- Elvis Costello
  • Visit poster's website