Gregorio/Lopez - 12 Episodes
Anthony Braxton - GTM (Syntax) 2017
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/21/2019 09:09
  • Post subject:
sidneyfranklyn wrote:
tell me about '89, very much struggling for a list of favourites, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. As for '09 - I'm not so sure. Already got a top 5 I'm v proud of and looking forward to diving in to the couple I've got left on my to-do list. Anyway, we'll have to save all that for later!!
woah everyone slow down a second, I'm just getting acquainted with all the '69 stuff atm, let alone the other years. I appreciate the recommendations but you haven't even seen my lists yet for '79, '89, '99, '09 yet, I've already seen many picks here that are on my list/have reviewed already.

Tap wrote:
for 69 my biggest recommendation for you would be the Catherine Ribeiro + 2bis album for some very powerful songs.
Ah their album Paix is on my list which I've heard good things about, so I'll def check that out. Given the mountain of recommendations (seriously thank you everyone!) I can't promise about the others; I've not enjoyed much electronic music for the late 60s but if I have time I'll give them a spin.

Fischman wrote:
For '69, trying to avoid the usual mega-names like Beatles/Stones/Zep and trying to stick with things that are still at least related to your top selections so far, I offer the following
I've listened to In A Silent Way and Atlantis but will add the others to my list.

brun027 wrote:
My favorite 1969 album that hasn't been mentioned is probably

Eva 2001 by Evinha, Canaxis 5 by Technical Space Composer's Crew - not heard of these, will add to the list
Black Woman by Sonny Sharrock - this has come up a few times in the 69 charts of people on this thread (yes if you're on this thread and have a '69 chart, I've seen it Wink ) already so will definitely give that a try
Gal by Gal Costa - I reviewed her self-titled album and loved a few tracks but found the rest inconsistent, so will have to leave this at the bottom of the pile. Thanks anyway though!

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Anyways, for '69
thank you for your '69 recommendations, but please, hold your horses on the other years!! I already knew a couple of those you sent!

I've noticed people keep recommending stuff that I've heard already, so here's a link to my ratings for 1969: https://www.besteveralbums.com/fav.php?...mp;fv=1969 please have a glance first, there's only 20 or so albums there anyway so it should take long (or just load my rated artists in the middle column and Control+F who you want to recommend)
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 02/21/2019 14:08
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
I'm finding this incredibly charming, since I started cheking out album from this site the same way you do. I joined in 2015 so I first explored 2015, then 2005, 1995...and so on.

For 1969 I would firstly recommend The Stooges self titled debut, which might be your cup of tea judgint by your overall chart.
After that, you might check out my relatively fresh 1969 chart.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart...amp;page=1

Quoting myself here, but just noticed you don't have The Stooges in your rated albums so I'm bumping it in case you missed it by accident.

The Stooges by The Stooges

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/21/2019 14:55
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Quoting myself here, but just noticed you don't have The Stooges in your rated albums so I'm bumping it in case you missed it by accident
Aha thank you for checking my ratings out, I saw your recommendations (Tilly also recommended it) so it's on my to do list. Given the amount of stuff I've been handed I might have to prioritise, but given the double recommendation and the fact I really like Fun House this won't be one I miss out on
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 02/21/2019 19:17
  • Post subject:
I recommend this one :

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=17509
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2019 01:14
  • Post subject:
Stuff I listened to for 1969 and order in which I liked them: (last updated in 2016)
Top 65 Music Albums of 1969 by sethmadsen

I'm sure there are better sources, but so far these have been decent for me to discover music in a historical context:
https://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=1969
https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_in_music

RE: A list catered to you... sorry, but I just don't have the time. You know what you know and I don't have the time to find out.
  • Visit poster's website
ForegroundNoise
for worn-out boys

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/03/2019 14:59
  • Post subject:
Hello again everyone!!

Thanks so much to all those that gave recommendations for my 1969 list!! I've decided so as not to take too much time away from my degree to reduce these lists to just a top 5 albums (instead of ten) since I try and put a lot of effort into these write-ups and it's v time consuming (check out my notes for Trout Mask Replica and King Crimson's debut in my top 5 of 1969 here: Top 5 Music Albums of 1969 by sidneyfranklyn

And so the march continues to 1979!! This is a year that I have far less experience with than even '69 so I'm very much ready to open up the floor. Here's my top 5 of 1979 so far: Top 5 Music Albums of 1979 by sidneyfranklyn, which are the only albums from that year I have given an '8' or better (see my overall chart here for my system for rating albums: Top 30 Greatest Music Albums by sidneyfranklyn

I've made this list public to give an idea of my kind of bag (I know it's all British post-punk, believe me my lists aren't usually so narrow-minded) as well as the (admittedly few) albums I'd previously discovered/been turned towards from that year: https://www.besteveralbums.com/fav.php?...ir=&f= Year&fv=1979
[b]Please consult this before recommending!!
and please don't give recommendations yet for other years ending in nine. I tend to listen to an album at least 5 or 6 times over at least before feeling familiar enough with it to give a rating and so it's often slow progress, last time I felt a little buried in all the recommendations. Recommending only a couple of albums, as well as a whole load makes the process seem a lot less daunting to me too!!

much love !! xx

ps. Apologies in advance to anyone who gets offended at my 3/10 score for London Calling; it's nothing personal I'm just not a fan of that album's campy style ...

Last edited by ForegroundNoise on 03/04/2019 16:58; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/03/2019 15:03
  • Post subject:
i've actually just recent finalized my favorite records of 1979

you can read the rough draft here
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2019 00:00
  • Post subject:
if you liked this heat, the far out sounds of Diasporas by Ghédalia Tazartès might be of interest. it gets pretty far out tho so if that's not interesting then maybe the awesome synthpop of Solid State Survivor by Yellow Magic Orchestra might be worth a spin
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2019 00:01
  • Post subject:

Specials by The Specials
  • Visit poster's website