38%  [8]
Total Votes : 21

travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2019 16:11
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Going with 'Falling Into Me'. Because it's better.

^

I don't like either song this late in the tournament though.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2019 16:51
  • Post subject:
has anyone gone into the appeal on the lets eat grandma track earlier in this tourney because I'm really not seeing it but I am curious
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/09/2019 17:24
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
has anyone gone into the appeal on the lets eat grandma track earlier in this tourney because I'm really not seeing it but I am curious

Not sure if anyone's written something long. As I see it, the appeal is it's a catchy pop song with good vocals that's more interesting in terms of production and songwriting than most of its pop competitors. I think it's a great song, but Words I Heard is near-perfect.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/09/2019 18:21
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:

Personally, I really like the gaudy, fluorescent synth vamps that open the song, and the way the vocalist(s) (dealing in the sort of twee, hyper-English, tea'n'scones, subtlepsychedelia that has been part of our pop music heritage since Syd Barrett) seems to stumble into their melodies/flows, which themselves feel informed by the conversational, post-rave patter of Mike Skinner. If all of this sounds like I enjoy this song because it's musical comfort food, that's because it is, and I do. Whilst it kind of veers towards anthemic (if, perhaps, overly cloying) indie pop, there's initially - and, again, later on - a big ol' 4/4 kick drum that brings to mind images of Frankie in the Warehouse, and it conveys a sense of dynamism and universal, romantic melancholy that, when twinned with those buzzsaw electro-synth gurgles, recalls Robyn's best moments. Plus, y'know, arpeggio breakdown. It's a constantly evolving, likeably earnest, deliberately heart-tugging pop song, one that sounds - on a surface level, anyway - different than it did 30 seconds previously for its entire runtime, whilst remaining true to a familiar chord progression and a slightly behind-the-beat melody that manages to feel both fresh and instantly recognisable at the same time. Is it revolutionary? No. Is it a hodgepodge of obvious, on-the-nose, timely-cool references? Yes. Does any of that matter when it keeps me simultaneously intrigued and relaxed every time I hear it? Of course not. It's bloody brilliant, frankly. I'd be happy for it to win the whole thing.
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/10/2019 11:19
  • Post subject:
Julia
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2019 12:39
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Personally, I really like the gaudy, fluorescent synth vamps that open the song, and the way the vocalist(s) (dealing in the sort of twee, hyper-English, tea'n'scones, subtlepsychedelia that has been part of our pop music heritage since Syd Barrett) seems to stumble into their melodies/flows, which themselves feel informed by the conversational, post-rave patter of Mike Skinner. If all of this sounds like I enjoy this song because it's musical comfort food, that's because it is, and I do. Whilst it kind of veers towards anthemic (if, perhaps, overly cloying) indie pop, there's initially - and, again, later on - a big ol' 4/4 kick drum that brings to mind images of Frankie in the Warehouse, and it conveys a sense of dynamism and universal, romantic melancholy that, when twinned with those buzzsaw electro-synth gurgles, recalls Robyn's best moments. Plus, y'know, arpeggio breakdown. It's a constantly evolving, likeably earnest, deliberately heart-tugging pop song, one that sounds - on a surface level, anyway - different than it did 30 seconds previously for its entire runtime, whilst remaining true to a familiar chord progression and a slightly behind-the-beat melody that manages to feel both fresh and instantly recognisable at the same time. Is it revolutionary? No. Is it a hodgepodge of obvious, on-the-nose, timely-cool references? Yes. Does any of that matter when it keeps me simultaneously intrigued and relaxed every time I hear it? Of course not. It's bloody brilliant, frankly. I'd be happy for it to win the whole thing.

I think that about covers it. lol

Applause
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2019 18:37
  • Post subject:
yeah thanks for taking the time there, I'm still not on board myself (I guess it's the constantly evolving aspect I find most questionable, like it felt to me like it parked down and mostly stayed in place for 6 min, tho I'm sure someone could say the same on the Holter track so I know that's just a matter of perspective), but that did illuminate some things that were going on here for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 04/12/2019 19:21
  • Post subject:
Let's eat the SWAG bracket Ms Holter

Words I Heard 13-8

CHAMPIOn OF SWAG Party Party Party Party
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/12/2019 19:50