Greatest Classical Works & Best Recorded Performances

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/22/2018 21:50
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
It is frustrating to find these recordings and knowing what to trust. Many are remastered/re-released and well the internet is the last place I'll trust something (I've had wrong movements altogether show up in a recording... some genius didn't know it wasn't the same thing, but labeled it as such... had to report back to Spotify).

Yep, for sure, can definitely be an issue from time to time.

sethmadsen wrote:

Have you been able to find that video recording as something you can purchase/get as a CD/Vinyl, etc.? I'd love to own it (I suppose there's the YouTube ripping stuff, but... eh for something like this I'd love the real deal).

Its this one: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com...SY445_.jpg
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/19/2019 03:11
  • Post subject:
REVISIONS - BEST RECORDED PERFORMANCES

Symphony No. 5 - Gustav Mahler (1902)
Rudolf Barshai - Junge Deutsche Philharmonie (1999) [Performance Quality: 9.5 / Sound Quality: 9]
REVISED TO James Levine - Philadelphia Orchestra (1978) [Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 8.5]

Symphony No. 3 in E-flat Major "Eroica" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1804)
Klaus Tennstedt - NDR Sinfonieorchester (1979) [Performance Quality: 9.5 / Sound Quality: 8] REVISED TO George Szell - Cleveland Orchestra (1957) [Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 7.5]

Symphony No. 6 in F Major "Pastoral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1808)
Roger Norrington - Radiosinfonieorchester Stuttgart (2003) [Not Rated] REVISED TO Karl Bohm - Wiener Philharmoniker (1979) [Not Rated]

Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat Major "Emperor" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1811)
Claudio Arrau – Sir Colin Davis – Staatskapelle Dresden (1984) [Performance Quality: 9.5 / Sound Quality: 8] REVISED TO Mindru Katz - Hallé Orchestra - Sir John Barbirolli (1959) [Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 6.5]
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 03/20/2019 03:35
  • Post subject:
REVISIONS - BEST RECORDED PERFORMANCES

Violin Concertos, Nos. 1-12, Op. 3 “L'Estro Armonico” - Antonio Vivaldi (1711)
NO PREVIOUS SELECTION REVISED TO Rachel Podger - Brecon Baroque (2014) [Not Rated]

Violin Concerto No. 2 - Bela Bartok (1938)
Kyung-Wha Chung - Sir Georg Solti - London Philharmonic (1976) Performance Quality: 9.5 / Sound Quality: 8] REVISED TO Christian Tetzlaff - Hannu Lintu - Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra (2018) [Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 9.5]

Concerto for Violin, Cello and Piano in C major "Triple Concerto" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1803)
NO PREVIOUS SELECTION REVISED TO David Zinman - Truls Mørk; Yefim Bronfman; Gil Shaham - Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra (2005) [Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 9.5]
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/12/2019 06:25
  • Post subject:
I've been going back through lots of these recordings and other greats to ensure they're still the very best. While most still held their ground (especially those rated 10 for performance quality) I will be switching a handful of them out shortly. I am just very busy dwindling each down to the very best replacement which can require multiple listens across the best recordings (in most cases Ive heard a majority of or all of the most acclaimed recordings for the listed work. As an example at the far end of this, Ive probably heard roughly 75+ different recordings of each Beethoven's 9 and 5th.)

That said, Ive been on a pretty monumental journey through revisiting Schubert's 9th over the last 3 days. I listened to almost nothing else but this incredible work some 30+ times in that time frame. I decided that I might've overrated Karajan's 1968 rendition, which I had listed here as its best performance for the last several momths. A perfectly fine choice but upon revisiting it I realized that while it may be the single most driven and exciting rendition ever, it doesnt quite have the lyricism and nuanced articiulation of orchestral shifts/coloration that bring out the work in its fullest bloom of expression, and I also realized this causes a slight glibness in some of its dreamier, contemplative passages and in its "inner voices". Again, still spectacular and probably unbeatable at what it is doing but for me it falls a little short of the pinnacle for this work...

For now and perhaps permanently it looks as if I am reverting back to my previous selection (Wand/BPO - 1995).

Over the last few days Ive revisited many of the most acclaimed and substantial performances in both a desire to stay immersed in one of the most miraculous works of art ever as well as an unquenchable quest for its very best performance. Revisited as follows:

REVISITED
Wand/BPO (1995)
Krips/LSO
Szell/Cleveland (1962)
Karajan/BPO (1968)
Sinopoli/Staatskapelle
Bohm/BPO
Furtwangler (1953 - Live)
Furtwangler (1951)
Bruno Walter/Columbia (1957)
Solti/Vienna
Dohnanyi/Philharmonia
Muti/Vienna
Janssons/RSO
Erich Kleiber/Koln 1950s
Erich Kleiber/NDR (1953)
Giulini/Chicago
Rene Leibowitz/RPO
Jeffrey Tate/Staatskapelle

NEW DISCOVERIES
Hans Knappertsbusch/Vienna (Live 1957)
Mengelberg/CO (1940)

... ... ...

Even after all that, Wand/BPO appears to be winning back its crown so far. But please feel free to make any suggestions (or make a case for any of those above) if there is anyone out there that has a better performance in mind. Would be very curious if I missed a legitimate candidate (above is certainly not all Ive heard in total, just over the last few days) ... or if maybe Ive underestimated one of those above?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 04/13/2019 02:53
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
I've been going back through lots of these recordings and other greats to ensure they're still the very best. While most still held their ground (especially those rated 10 for performance quality) I will be switching a handful of them out shortly. I am just very busy dwindling each down to the very best replacement which can require multiple listens across the best recordings (in most cases Ive heard a majority of or all of the most acclaimed recordings for the listed work. As an example at the far end of this, Ive probably heard roughly 75+ different recordings of each Beethoven's 9 and 5th.)

That said, Ive been on a pretty monumental journey through revisiting Schubert's 9th over the last 3 days. I listened to almost nothing else but this incredible work some 30+ times in that time frame. I decided that I might've overrated Karajan's 1968 rendition, which I had listed here as its best performance for the last several momths. A perfectly fine choice but upon revisiting it I realized that while it may be the single most driven and exciting rendition ever, it doesnt quite have the lyricism and nuanced articiulation of orchestral shifts/coloration that bring out the work in its fullest bloom of expression, and I also realized this causes a slight glibness in some of its dreamier, contemplative passages and in its "inner voices". Again, still spectacular and probably unbeatable at what it is doing but for me it falls a little short of the pinnacle for this work...

For now and perhaps permanently it looks as if I am reverting back to my previous selection (Wand/BPO - 1995).

Over the last few days Ive revisited many of the most acclaimed and substantial performances in both a desire to stay immersed in one of the most miraculous works of art ever as well as an unquenchable quest for its very best performance. Revisited as follows:

REVISITED
Wand/BPO (1995)
Krips/LSO
Szell/Cleveland (1962)
Karajan/BPO (1968)
Sinopoli/Staatskapelle
Bohm/BPO
Furtwangler (1953 - Live)
Furtwangler (1951)
Bruno Walter/Columbia (1957)
Solti/Vienna
Dohnanyi/Philharmonia
Muti/Vienna
Janssons/RSO
Erich Kleiber/Koln 1950s
Erich Kleiber/NDR (1953)
Giulini/Chicago
Rene Leibowitz/RPO
Jeffrey Tate/Staatskapelle

NEW DISCOVERIES
Hans Knappertsbusch/Vienna (Live 1957)
Mengelberg/CO (1940)

... ... ...

Even after all that, Wand/BPO appears to be winning back its crown so far. But please feel free to make any suggestions (or make a case for any of those above) if there is anyone out there that has a better performance in mind. Would be very curious if I missed a legitimate candidate (above is certainly not all Ive heard in total, just over the last few days) ... or if maybe Ive underestimated one of those above?

Seth brought it to my attention that this post could be confused as if I am discussing Beethoven's 9th recordings (both Schubert's 9th and Beethoven's 9th have a Karajan 1968 rendition listed as the best). So just to be clear, all the recordings I am talking about in this post are for Schubert's 9th.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2019 03:01
  • Post subject:
I can haz the reading. I totally skimmed and missed the single entry of Schubert in the post. Laughing

Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/15/2019 22:46
  • Post subject:
How the expletive did I miss this post... (what was I doing in 2017... also how is it already 2019) and well really this whole thread. I mean I checked it out once or twice (wrongfully turned off by a Beethoven's 9th selection you made a LONG time ago... but now deeply regretting not coming back) but really am realizing you are 7 steps ahead of me (as usual ;P)... not only do you have the works that matter most to you, but also the best recordings (or best finds... the hunt is probably never ending). I'm still trying to catalog those that matter most to me. I'm doing ok... the problem with my current method is I'm doing it per "album" instead of work, this is quite the impressive thing. Do you have a spreadsheet or is this your "spreadsheet"? 9/10 I'm not going to miss something because most albums have the full work/I tried to stray from comps as much as possible, but there's a work or 5 that's a diamond in the rough, so to speak.

Anyway, this is a fantastic effort and result - bravo!

Most interested in the Staier recording... I have Glenn Gould's, wanted to try a HIP recording, so Trevor Pinnock's came on my list, still feel like there's potential for a better rendition and I remember loving Staier for other Bach works... But a LOT of these look incredibly intriguing.

Next you'll be making me a fan of Scaruffi Razz hehe. I'm totally kidding. I give that man way too hard of a time than what I really feel about him - I just have a difference of opinion on a few things and feel like he glosses over some philosophical things when I read that section of his website, otherwise I'm more or less kind of trying to do the same thing (and a fan of that aspect) AND don't have the articulation/assessment skills to be ANY better... but I dabble.

Thank you for your help/sometimes being lost in the weeds is needed and sometimes you got to know when/how to get out... hehe.

AfterHours wrote:
BEST NEW CLASSICAL MUSIC RECORDINGS FOR THE YEAR (2017)

(My top selections for 2017. "New" means that I discovered the listed RECORDING in 2017 for the first time)

1. Mass in B Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach (1749) / Philippe Herreweghe - Collegium Vocale Gent (2011)

Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 10

2. Symphony No. 5 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1808) / John Eliot Gardiner - Orchestre Révolutionnaire Et Romantique (2016)

Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 9.5

Link

3. Violin Concertos Nos. 1-4, Op. 8, "The Four Seasons" - Antonio Vivaldi (1723) / Adrian Chandler - La Serenissima (2015)

4. Symphony No. 10 in E Minor - Dmitri Shostakovich (circa 1951-1953) / Vasily Petrenko - Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (2009)

5. Symphony No. 7 in A Major - Ludwig van Beethoven (1812) / Manfred Honeck - Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (2015)

6. Goldberg Variations - Johann Sebastian Bach (1741) / Andreas Staier (2010)

Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 9 or 9.5

7. Symphony No. 3 in E-flat Major "Eroica" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1804) / Klaus Tennstedt - NDR Sinfonieorchester (1979)

Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 8

8. Requiem Mass in D minor - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1791) / Nikolaus Harnoncourt - Arnold Schoenberg Chor - Concentus Musicus Wien (2003)

Performance Quality: 9.5 or 10 / Sound Quality: 9.5

9. Piano Sonata No. 32 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1822) / Claudio Arrau (1960)

Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 6.5

10. Symphony No. 6 in B Minor "Pathetique" - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1893) / Teodor Currentzis - Music Aeterna (2017)

Performance Quality: 9.5 / Sound Quality: 10

11. Symphony No. 5 - Gustav Mahler (1902) / Rudolf Barshai - Junge Deutsche Philharmonie (1999)

Performance Quality: Not Rated Yet / Sound Quality: Not Rated Yet

12. Twelve Concerti Grossi, Op. 6 - Arcangelo Corelli (1714) / Jesper Christensen - Ensemble 415 (1991)

Performance Quality: Not Rated Yet / Sound Quality: Not Rated

13. Symphony No. 40 in G minor - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1788) / Nikolaus Harnoncourt - Vienna Concentus Musicus (2014)

14. Piano Trio No. 7 in B-flat Major "Archduke" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1811) / Alexander Melnikov - Isabelle Faust - Jean-Guihen Queyras (2014)

15. Symphony No. 35 in D major "Haffner" - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1788) / Nikolaus Harnoncourt - Vienna Concentus Musicus (2014)

16. Sonata in G minor for Piano and Cello, Op. 19 - Sergei Rachmaninoff (1901) / Wendy Warner - Irina Nuzova (2010)

17. Piano Quintet in A Major "Trout" - Franz Schubert (1819) / Forellen Quintet (2008)

18. Piano Quintet No. 2 in A major - Antonin Dvorak (1887) / Jan Panenka - Panocha Quartet (1993)

Performance Quality: 9.5 or 10 / Sound Quality: 8.5

19. Symphony No. 6 in F Major "Pastoral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1808) / Roger Norrington - Radiosinfonieorchester Stuttgart (2003)

20. Cello Concerto "Azul" - Osvaldo Golijov (2009) / Yo-Yo Ma - Eric Jacobsen - The Knights (2017)

[/i][/b]
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/16/2019 02:39
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

Re: Wish someone would start a "besteverclassical.com" ... Isn't that what we're doing right now? Wink

I suppose so. Also it looks like TalkClassical had some kind of tournament, and this is the list their users came up with: (not quite a database like RYM or BEA, but probably is the closest thing I've seen where a "large" number of users had an aggregate score for the greatest classical works instead of a "single data point".

I disagree with some of it, but I can see how an aggregate could get this type of result.

https://sites.google.com/site/talkclass...anked-list
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/16/2019 06:53
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
How the expletive did I miss this post... (what was I doing in 2017... also how is it already 2019) and well really this whole thread. I mean I checked it out once or twice (wrongfully turned off by a Beethoven's 9th selection you made a LONG time ago... but now deeply regretting not coming back) but really am realizing you are 7 steps ahead of me (as usual ;P)... not only do you have the works that matter most to you, but also the best recordings (or best finds... the hunt is probably never ending). I'm still trying to catalog those that matter most to me. I'm doing ok... the problem with my current method is I'm doing it per "album" instead of work, this is quite the impressive thing. Do you have a spreadsheet or is this your "spreadsheet"? 9/10 I'm not going to miss something because most albums have the full work/I tried to stray from comps as much as possible, but there's a work or 5 that's a diamond in the rough, so to speak.

Anyway, this is a fantastic effort and result - bravo!

Most interested in the Staier recording... I have Glenn Gould's, wanted to try a HIP recording, so Trevor Pinnock's came on my list, still feel like there's potential for a better rendition and I remember loving Staier for other Bach works... But a LOT of these look incredibly intriguing.

Next you'll be making me a fan of Scaruffi Razz hehe. I'm totally kidding. I give that man way too hard of a time than what I really feel about him - I just have a difference of opinion on a few things and feel like he glosses over some philosophical things when I read that section of his website, otherwise I'm more or less kind of trying to do the same thing (and a fan of that aspect) AND don't have the articulation/assessment skills to be ANY better... but I dabble.

Thank you for your help/sometimes being lost in the weeds is needed and sometimes you got to know when/how to get out... hehe.

AfterHours wrote:
BEST NEW CLASSICAL MUSIC RECORDINGS FOR THE YEAR (2017)

(My top selections for 2017. "New" means that I discovered the listed RECORDING in 2017 for the first time)

1. Mass in B Minor - Johann Sebastian Bach (1749) / Philippe Herreweghe - Collegium Vocale Gent (2011)

2. Symphony No. 5 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1808) / John Eliot Gardiner - Orchestre Révolutionnaire Et Romantique (2016)

Link

3. Violin Concertos Nos. 1-4, Op. 8, "The Four Seasons" - Antonio Vivaldi (1723) / Adrian Chandler - La Serenissima (2015)

4. Symphony No. 10 in E Minor - Dmitri Shostakovich (circa 1951-1953) / Vasily Petrenko - Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (2009)

5. Symphony No. 7 in A Major - Ludwig van Beethoven (1812) / Manfred Honeck - Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (2015)

6. Goldberg Variations - Johann Sebastian Bach (1741) / Andreas Staier (2010)

Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 9 or 9.5

7. Symphony No. 3 in E-flat Major "Eroica" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1804) / Klaus Tennstedt - NDR Sinfonieorchester (1979)

Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 8

8. Requiem Mass in D minor - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1791) / Nikolaus Harnoncourt - Arnold Schoenberg Chor - Concentus Musicus Wien (2003)

Performance Quality: 9.5 or 10 / Sound Quality: 9.5

9. Piano Sonata No. 32 in C Minor - Ludwig van Beethoven (1822) / Claudio Arrau (1960)

Performance Quality: 10 / Sound Quality: 6.5

10. Symphony No. 6 in B Minor "Pathetique" - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1893) / Teodor Currentzis - Music Aeterna (2017)

Performance Quality: 9.5 / Sound Quality: 10

11. Symphony No. 5 - Gustav Mahler (1902) / Rudolf Barshai - Junge Deutsche Philharmonie (1999)

12. Twelve Concerti Grossi, Op. 6 - Arcangelo Corelli (1714) / Jesper Christensen - Ensemble 415 (1991)

Performance Quality: Not Rated Yet / Sound Quality: Not Rated

13. Symphony No. 40 in G minor - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1788) / Nikolaus Harnoncourt - Vienna Concentus Musicus (2014)

14. Piano Trio No. 7 in B-flat Major "Archduke" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1811) / Alexander Melnikov - Isabelle Faust - Jean-Guihen Queyras (2014)

15. Symphony No. 35 in D major "Haffner" - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1788) / Nikolaus Harnoncourt - Vienna Concentus Musicus (2014)

16. Sonata in G minor for Piano and Cello, Op. 19 - Sergei Rachmaninoff (1901) / Wendy Warner - Irina Nuzova (2010)

17. Piano Quintet in A Major "Trout" - Franz Schubert (1819) / Forellen Quintet (2008)

18. Piano Quintet No. 2 in A major - Antonin Dvorak (1887) / Jan Panenka - Panocha Quartet (1993)

Performance Quality: 9.5 or 10 / Sound Quality: 8.5

19. Symphony No. 6 in F Major "Pastoral" - Ludwig van Beethoven (1808) / Roger Norrington - Radiosinfonieorchester Stuttgart (2003)

20. Cello Concerto "Azul" - Osvaldo Golijov (2009) / Yo-Yo Ma - Eric Jacobsen - The Knights (2017)

[/i][/b]

Yeah man -- you're welcome! Staier's Goldberg is practically revolutionary. Once heard, you might wonder where that has been all this time! A completely different world than Gould's (which is great for what it is) ... but the Goldberg's were supposed to be on harpsichord for a reason (they become much more exotic and "dreamier"), and it's very evident they were carefully written for the instrument after listening to a rendition that does them justice. Staier's performance is one of a kind and Baroque asf, down to being played on a precise replica of the harpsichords Bach would've been playing in his day. Maybe the only harpsichordist I can think of that plays the Goldberg (somewhat) similarly with such expressiveness and color could be Christophe Rousset (who's Goldberg's is among my favorites too, maybe #2 or at least top 5). But really, none are so VIVID as Staier's, which is both how he plays but also the fact he is using a harpsichord from the same time.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/16/2019 06:59
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Do you have a spreadsheet or is this your "spreadsheet"?

Not quite a spread sheet but I definitely keep notes of recordings under each work on a separate doc.

Also, I'll sooner or later add a second copy of this list (to the same page) but in alphabetical order by composer. So that way it can be viewed by Classical work rating (how it is currently) but also in alphabetical order (so you'll have all of Beethoven in one spot, all of Bach, all of Mozart etc, making it more accessible in that way).
  • Visit poster's website