Books You Read With Your Kids

View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2017 14:21
  • Post subject: Books You Read With Your Kids
This is for all the Dad Rockers out there! Laughing

I love to read with my kids. I honestly read more kid books than anything else right now. Here I'm hoping other parents will also share their latest faves. Should be a good reference for all parents at any rate.

Anyways, feel free to list your favorites from when you were a child, books I just MUST read to my kids & the like. Thanks!

Peace!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2017 17:56
  • Post subject:

Hilda and The Troll

My favorite graphic novel series for kids. The world building is fantastic. My daughter's favorite to this day as well. Hard to best this series. This is the book that finally got my Tilly into reading. Thanks, Hilda!!! Very Happy

Last edited by Repo on 12/14/2017 02:59; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2017 20:22
  • Post subject:
Well, I'm not a parent (that I know of) but I am currently in school to be an English teacher.

Here would be what I would choose.

Anything by Dr. Seuss, but especially The Butter Battle Book, and The Sneetches. Never has nuclear proliferation and racism been so fun and colorful!

This was my father's favorite book as a kid, and the only one he really read to me. Long out of print now, but has amazing illustrations.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/132...Rare_Birds

I loved these books when I was kid, but if your children are easily scared then it may not be appropriate. They came out with new editions that had less frightening illustrations, but the originals are the best. Some of the stories are pretty interesting, and are based off of old American folktales/urban legends.

Link

This one is not exactly a child's reading level, but it is a great fairytale-like Christmas story from one of the best Russian authors, Nikolai Gogol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Eve_(Gogol)

Sorry, I'm thinking of progressively more difficult literature, but Washington Irving's Christmas stories are really good too.

https://americanliterature.com/author/w...as/summary

Here is an excerpt from one of the Irving essay's. This is a brilliant way to describe the jubilant holiday spirit.

"There is something in the very season of the year that gives a charm to the festivity of Christmas. At other times we derive a great portion of our pleasures from the mere beauties of nature. Our feelings sally forth and dissipate themselves over the sunny landscape, and we "live abroad and everywhere." The song of the bird, the murmur of the stream, the breathing fragrance of spring, the soft voluptuousness of summer, the golden pomp of autumn; earth with its mantle of refreshing green, and heaven with its deep delicious blue and its cloudy magnificence, all fill us with mute but exquisite delight, and we revel in the luxury of mere sensation. But in the depth of winter, when nature lies despoiled of every charm, and wrapped in her shroud of sheeted snow, we turn for our gratifications to moral sources. The dreariness and desolation of the landscape, the short gloomy days and darksome nights, while they circumscribe our wanderings, shut in our feelings also from rambling abroad, and make us more keenly disposed for the pleasures of the social circle. Our thoughts are more concentrated; our friendly sympathies more aroused. we feel more sensibly the charm of each other's society, and are brought more closely together by dependence on each other for enjoyment. Heart calleth unto heart; and we draw our pleasures from the deep wells of living kindness, which lie in the quiet recesses of our bosoms: and which when resorted to, furnish forth the pure element of domestic felicity."
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 12/14/2017 01:35
  • Post subject:
When I was a kid, I was all about the Berenstain Bears. Smile Smile Smile

God bless you always!!! Smile Smile Smile

Holly

P.S. I still have my books with no intention of ever giving them up. Smile Smile Smile

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2018 00:53
  • Post subject:

My kid just finished her first 300 page book- Wonder by (someone who really knows how to cash i!. Ca-jing). Then we saw the movie. She then said "the book was better, Dad. " lol

Pretty cool coming of age story told from multiple perspectives. Great for kids.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/26/2018 00:19
  • Post subject:

Porco Rosso

Excellent Family film! We r so addicted to Studio Ghibli rn. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
meltchett

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/30/2018 14:48
  • Post subject:
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.
My grandma read it to me and I could remember every line. By the time my girls were 5, they could recite it from memory.
[/img]
  • Visit poster's website
elfridaauston87

• Posted: 04/16/2019 05:36
  • Post subject:
I have 2 kids and they both are 4 and 7 years old, I prefer to read books that give them knowledge. I read books from last month to onwards are The Snowy Day, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Where the Wild Things Are, Frog and Toad Are Friends and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I mostly prefer to buy books from online stores.