2019 best year of the music of the 21st century ...? YES ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
StreakyNuno

Portugal

• Posted: 04/19/2019 20:15
  • Post subject:
And more...dogrel by Fontaines DC ... psychodrama by dave ... empath by devin thousend
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/19/2019 22:27
  • Post subject:
There hasn't been one good year this decade. Sorry to sound like an old fart but modern music is awful. Where have all the talented people gone?
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2019 22:29
  • Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:
There hasn't been one good year this decade. Sorry to sound like an old fart but modern music is awful. Where have all the talented people gone?

I'm an old fart. And while I'm generally of the opinion that this decade doesn't compare to others in the past, I have found much to love in a variety of genres. I think there have been some pretty good years, and I'll take the 2010s over the 2000s or 1990s any day.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2019 22:37
  • Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:

well, i mean, if your favorite artists from the 10s include the 1975, pink, ed sheeran and 21 pilots, you might be looking under the wrong rocks.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/19/2019 23:54
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
well, i mean, if your favorite artists from the 10s include the 1975, pink, ed sheeran and 21 pilots, you might be looking under the wrong rocks.

Yeah Confused

Not exactly sure what to rec you there Stover. You have an incredibly odd 10's chart.

And 2019 isn't the best year of the decade so far because it really just can't be at this point Laughing

Being said, I've been digging into 2019 from the start, and there's been some good releases, but I'm not finding it great. Think I've only given three 80/100's, and everything else has been below that (keeping in mind I don't typically seek out music I know I won't enjoy). We'll see what happens, can't judge it until it's over, but 2019's had a slightly boring first 4 months (particularly if you've only been skimming the surface). By this time in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2013 and 2011 my favourite album of the year had already been released, and I'm really hoping that's not the case for 2019 at this point. Usually March through June is pretty hot for big releases, but it's been slightly lax.
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 04/20/2019 04:58
  • Post subject:
I have enjoyed 2019 a great deal, just like every year before it. Music is wonderful and more accessible than ever. So while I generally don’t think there’s much meaning in year-to-year or decade-to-decade comparisons, I would say this is a good time for a music lover to be alive.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/20/2019 06:44
  • Post subject:
TimeLion wrote:
I have enjoyed 2019 a great deal, just like every year before it. Music is wonderful and more accessible than ever. So while I generally don’t think there’s much meaning in year-to-year or decade-to-decade comparisons, I would say this is a good time for a music lover to be alive.

I'm an old fart and I've not found a great deal so far this year but whenever this is the case it's always because you're not looking hard enough. There's the same amount, if not more, good music and talent out there than ever before. There is no other excuse nowadays with all the platforms to seek it out. Old or young there is great new music out there if you can be bothered to seek it out and have an open mind.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2019 12:45
  • Post subject:
If you look under the prog rock (pun intended), the year's off to a great start. Already, I've got a 90, an 85, and 2 80s. By April, that's a stellar start.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/20/2019 16:26
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I can hear where Stover is coming from tho'. I get that 'seek and ye shall find' when it comes to good music these days-there's no doubt there is good stuff around-but if music in the 10s were really great would we need to seek so hard to find it? And not everyone wants to disappear down a rabbit hole to find great music either. In the past, you didn't need to go looking for music because so much good music was popular and having a significant cultural impact. When this isn't happening, it suggests to me that the ideas pool is starting to run a little bit dry.

Looking at some of our charts for the 10s, there doesn't seem to be much truly significant work at the moment in terms of rock, pop , soul or dance- though hip-hop seems to be fairing better and also Jazz seems to be having something of a resurgence. Not that I'm too down beat about this. Popular music had a great run whilst it lasted.

Fischman wrote:
If you look under the prog rock (pun intended)...

Laughing Well-played.
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2019 16:38
  • Post subject:
No chance, but it’s probably better than 2018
  • Visit poster's website