"The Micheal Jordan of drunk driving played his final game tonight"

- Andrew Jackson Jihad

Sort Overall by Genre/Sub-Genre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

RoundTheBend
Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis

United States

#1 | Posted: 04/22/2018 18:46 | Post subject: Sort Overall by Genre/Sub-Genre Reply with quote
This likely has already been suggested (yup), but I think it would be fantastic that a future version of the site could not only sort the overall chart by year, but also by Genre and Sub-Genre.

Sure some albums could be tagged as multiple Genre's and it could be a mess, but I think RYM did an ok job at it, but I like this site waaaay better.

It looks like the topic closed a while back: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...p;start=60

As for my two cents:

1) I like the tagging idea and the max an album could have is 3 or 5 or something so it doesn't become ludicrous?
2) I like how Wikipedia has it. While it can be edited later, by and large it's a great resource and likely doesn't change that much.
3) I don't think there is a single system that is best. Might as well have a stab at a decent system?

I personally would start at a musicologist standpoint and do the parent genre, then subgenre. But that's me.

It is frustrating that there are some serious hurdles to overcome, but I think something would be better than nothing?

The main difficulty is genre isn't a hard science. Experts on the subject often don't agree, how could some amateur music collectors ever do so either? But to ignore it altogether as a helpful tool to organize music... well it's something I did for years and didn't phase me much... but I still find it helpful Smile

And I get the database cleanup headache too.

Anyway, best of luck getting it going if it's still on your to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p...sic_genres
https://rateyourmusic.com/rgenre/
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Gowi
The Thanos of BEA

Poland

#2 | Posted: 04/22/2018 20:36 | Post subject: Reply with quote
RYM also has a more active community on the end of genre voters and message board contributors. I still think it is a bad idea to incorporate here without clear methods to prevent abuse and mistagging.

albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

#3 | Posted: 04/23/2018 08:21 | Post subject: Reply with quote
This feature has been planned for quite a long time and hasn't yet materialised. It remains on the 'to do' list and will be added once the site redesign is complete. The feature has been debated at various stages over the years, so whatever ends up being implemented will of course take previous feedback into account (and data vandalism is one of those areas). I expect what eventually will happen is that the feature will evolve organically taking into account end-user feedback.

RoundTheBend
Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis

United States

#4 | Posted: 04/24/2018 04:57 | Post subject: Reply with quote
albummaster wrote:
This feature has been planned for quite a long time and hasn't yet materialised. It remains on the 'to do' list and will be added once the site redesign is complete. The feature has been debated at various stages over the years, so whatever ends up being implemented will of course take previous feedback into account (and data vandalism is one of those areas). I expect what eventually will happen is that the feature will evolve organically taking into account end-user feedback.

Ok cool - keep up the good work albummaster. I (likely we all) appreciate it.
Spotify Playlists
Discogs

StefanR10

Germany

#5 | Posted: 07/10/2019 10:44 | Post subject: Good Reply with quote
I would like to check the overall chart for genre like Hip-Hop, Rock, Jazz and Blues.

craola
my name's not craig

Unknown

#6 | Posted: 07/10/2019 17:41 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Gowi wrote:
RYM also has a more active community on the end of genre voters and message board contributors. I still think it is a bad idea to incorporate here without clear methods to prevent abuse and mistagging.

agree with this. it may be best, if this is being added, to keep it pretty simple/broad for now. and definitely no write-ins.

we could always have it so users can upvote/downvote the various tags into oblivion.

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

#7 | Posted: 07/10/2019 18:11 | Post subject: Reply with quote
We should just use their API once it is available (near future) to integrate the RYM genres into our site. Then we won't have to start from scratch.
Page 1 of 1
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Suggestions

Jump to: