MLB 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2019 16:32
  • Post subject:
deGrom was the best pitcher in baseball last year, but it was a career year. Doesn't make him the best in general. Still very good though.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2019 18:11
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
I love Jacob DeGrom and all, but ain't no way he beats out Max Scherzer for best pitcher in baseball

That's for sure. Scherzer is en route to being a first ballot HOFer. I really thought DeGrom would continue right where he left off last year. I blame Ramos. Something has destroyed the Mets' pitching staff, and a lot of signs point to Ramos.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2019 19:07
  • Post subject:
I'd rank Greinke, Kershaw, Verlander, Bumgarner, Kluber, and Scherzer ahead of deGrom. Maybe a couple others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. But deGrom is very good, probably a Top 10 SP in MLB. If he was available in the 4th round of a fantasy draft, I'd def consider him. (I know that's vague because it depends how big the league is, but you get the idea.)
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2019 20:45
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I'd rank Greinke, Kershaw, Verlander, Bumgarner, Kluber, and Scherzer ahead of deGrom. Maybe a couple others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. But deGrom is very good, probably a Top 10 SP in MLB. If he was available in the 4th round of a fantasy draft, I'd def consider him. (I know that's vague because it depends how big the league is, but you get the idea.)

For their careers, I'd agree with all of those guys. I'd throw Sale in there as well (though he's been off this year). They've all pitched for longer too. When you compare their last 6 years (the extent of deGrom's career), he's on par with any of them aside from Kershaw and maybe Scherzer. I think based on how effective that group is right now, I'd rank them Scherzer>Verlander>deGrom>Kershaw>Greinke>Sale>Bumgarner>Kluber. With Kershaw higher if he stays healthy. And Kluber maybe above Madbum if he comes back and returns to pre-2019 form. Obviously guys like Ryu, Cole, Iglesias, Morton, Giolito are having fantastic years but aside from Cole none of them have the track records of the other guys.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2019 22:54
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
For their careers, I'd agree with all of those guys. I'd throw Sale in there as well (though he's been off this year). They've all pitched for longer too. When you compare their last 6 years (the extent of deGrom's career), he's on par with any of them aside from Kershaw and maybe Scherzer. I think based on how effective that group is right now, I'd rank them Scherzer>Verlander>deGrom>Kershaw>Greinke>Sale>Bumgarner>Kluber. With Kershaw higher if he stays healthy. And Kluber maybe above Madbum if he comes back and returns to pre-2019 form. Obviously guys like Ryu, Cole, Iglesias, Morton, Giolito are having fantastic years but aside from Cole none of them have the track records of the other guys.

Ah yeah, forgot about Sale. Price, Lester, Strasbourg, and Hamels can make cases for themselves too. But anyway, I kinda had my doubts that deGrom would have another year like last because he never had a year like 2018 before. So to me, calling deGrom the "best pitcher in baseball" was comparable to calling Jake Arrieta the best pitcher in baseball back in 2015-16. Jake hasn't come close to his 2015 numbers since and I doubt he ever will. As for deGrom, it seems like he's settling into an average season by his standards in 2019 (which is still very good and certainly better than the average year from Arrieta). I think it's possible deGrom could have another year like 2018 in the future, but perhaps not this year. But maybe you're right. Maybe it is Ramos.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/09/2019 23:41
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
deGrom was the best pitcher in baseball last year, but it was a career year. Doesn't make him the best in general. Still very good though.

Don't discount him to a single year. He's got a 2.75 career ERA over 6 years. He's been a top 5-10 starter since he debuted in 2014. The only strike against him is in the win column but that's because the Mets don't score for him at all.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2019 00:46
  • Post subject:
I wasn't discounting deGrom to a single year. I was only saying 2018 was an anomaly. I agree he's a Top 10 SP in MLB.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2019 01:32
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Ah yeah, forgot about Sale. Price, Lester, Strasbourg, and Hamels can make cases for themselves too. But anyway, I kinda had my doubts that deGrom would have another year like last because he never had a year like 2018 before. So to me, calling deGrom the "best pitcher in baseball" was comparable to calling Jake Arrieta the best pitcher in baseball back in 2015-16. Jake hasn't come close to his 2015 numbers since and I doubt he ever will. As for deGrom, it seems like he's settling into an average season by his standards in 2019 (which is still very good and certainly better than the average year from Arrieta). I think it's possible deGrom could have another year like 2018 in the future, but perhaps not this year. But maybe you're right. Maybe it is Ramos.

To be fair, the only active pitcher in baseball who has put up multiple seasons like deGrom's would be Kershaw and he's gonna go down as best pitcher of his generation. It's doubtful he comes anywhere near last year's numbers but I see deGrom getting his ERA down around 2.80 with nearly identical WHIP and Is as last year. He's just been killed by the HR ball this year.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/10/2019 04:08
  • Post subject:
My wife's religion is basically the Dodgers. She's been to the stadium every year since she was five years old; multiple times each year. I get sucked in every now and then. She's of course hopeful with them still having the best record (I think... unless that's changed in the last couple weeks when she told me last).

Dodgers have a bunch of rookies I think they are banking on and while Kershaw could be considered the shit, he's choked in too many key games to really be considered their savior, imo.

I think my unofficial name for the Dodgers is "choke champs"... as much as they have been a part of my life and the such. Team loyalty has been a concept that's always baffled me. Being at awe at good players makes much more sense.

I love the atmosphere of a live game, fall asleep to it on the tube. I find sports announcers to be the most boring thing on the planet.

• Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2019 17:28
  • Post subject:
@seth. No kidding. I try to go to at least 2 Dodger games per year. Already been to 3 this year. The Dodgers don't have many rookies, but they have a young core of contracted players in their mid to late 20s. So yeah, they're set up to be contenders for a while. It's true they've lacked clutch players to elevate them in key situations. "Choke champs" is somewhat fair. Team loyalty has baffles you? Team loyalty is like loyalty to a hometown, a family, a culture. I understand small markets don't have such attachments as far as sports go, but in large markets, it means the world to the people who live there. Yes, most sports announcers are boring. Live baseball is much better. If you find yourself in LA, going to a Dodger game, PM me.
  • Visit poster's website