2019 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2019 22:47
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Give me another week or two. It was sold out here. Saw Child's Play today instead. It was fun. Probably my fourth favorite entry in the franchise, if it can even be considered part of the franchise. It definitely goes in a way different direction.

I literally just got done watching Us on 4k. It had me on the edge of my seat and the brilliantly scattered dark humor didn't detract from the horror one bit (while in Get Out every time the TSA guy was onscreen it became a full blown comedy). I predicted the big twist but the movie had so much going on I forgot about it by the time it happened so I was still pretty blown away.

Nice. I know several folks who didn't care for Us. Common complaints were that it was too ambiguous and wasn't like Get Out. The two films are very different, but Us stands on its own as a solid thriller. And does everything need to be spelled out? It's far from a perfect film, but the most satisfying thing about Us was the conversations I had with people afterward, sharing one another's theories on what was going on in the movie.

Anyway, hope you enjoy TS 4 when you get to it.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/25/2019 08:13
  • Post subject:
Agree that US was a solid, intriguing Twilight Zone-type movie. Not nearly as good as Get Out (my favorite film of 2017), but still worthwhile, and thought-and-discussion-provoking.

Quote:
And does everything need to be spelled out?

I often prefer films in which things aren't spelled out. I liked how it keeps you off-balance and thwarts expectations (even if badseed predicted the reveal).

I look forward to watching it again. It's that kind of movie.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/03/2019 22:12
  • Post subject:
I just got this email less than an hour ago. This was the subject line:

MoviePass wrote:
Service Notice Regarding All MoviePass Subscriptions

I was braced for the worst. Here's what it said:

MoviePass wrote:
Dear MoviePass™ Subscribers,

For the past several months, MoviePass™ has been working hard to improve our groundbreaking subscription service to ensure it meets the vision that we have for it. We have listened and we understand the frustrations of our subscribers. To provide the level of service you deserve and we can be proud of, we need to improve our mobile app. We plan to make this improvement by utilizing an enhanced technology platform, which is in the final stages of completion. In this process, we also will endeavor to recapitalize our company and continue our cost cutting efforts.

To enable these improvements over the coming weeks, we will temporarily interrupt the MoviePass™ service for all our subscribers effective at 5am ET on Thursday, July 4, 2019. No subscriber will be charged during the service interruption. If you are a monthly subscriber, once the service continues, we will automatically credit the number of affected days remaining in your current monthly billing cycle before we resume charging. If you are an annual subscriber, once the service continues, we will automatically add the number of affected days to your one-year term. In either case, you will not need to request a credit or contact MoviePass™ customer service to get this credit for the number of affected days. Of course, during this service interruption, we will not enroll new subscribers.

We apologize for this inconvenience and we are working hard to make this service interruption as short as possible. We do not yet know when the service interruption will end, but will notify you once we are able to set a date. Our commitment to you as loyal MoviePass™ subscribers is that we will work tirelessly to significantly improve the MoviePass™ app, to provide more useful information, innovative features and an intuitive interface.

We thank you for your loyalty to MoviePass™ and hope to provide you with an enjoyable movie going experience again soon.

Sincerely,
Mitch Lowe
Chief Executive Officer

Whew, I thought it was gonna say MoviePass is coming to end. But no, apparently they need some time to update their app. I'm still a little skeptical this could simply be softening the blow. Knowing how MP has had a rocky relationship with their customers, I won't be convinced until it comes back. I think it will come back. I don't think they would lie about this. But it's gonna take weeks? In the heart of movie-going season? Really? Not a wise PR move or business decision. They should have waited for the slow season. I mean, they're app works just fine by me. And some disgruntled customers might jump to AMC during this interruption to get discounts on the big titles that are already out, or coming out soon.

Anyway, since today is the last day to use MP for a while, I might go see Yesterday or Midsommar tonight.

I saw The Last Black Man in San Francisco a couple days ago. It was good. Anyone else see it?

EDIT - Oh hey, speak of the devil. Just found this:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/regal-cine...202640441/

I figured Regal would do this sooner or later.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 07/05/2019 08:42
  • Post subject:
Rewatched Us. As with most films with surprise twists, it didn't do as much for me on the second viewing. With that said it's still an extremely fun film. The part at the white friends' house is so great, and Lupita gives a career best performance (at least from what I've seen, but I'm a huge 12 Years a Slave fan). I still give it a solid 8 out of 10 but it's probably not gonna make my top 100 horror list. It should do fine on my 2019 list though.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/05/2019 18:41
  • Post subject:
I know the competition will be completely different this year, and comparing these two films will be a recurring theme come award season, but if Malek deserved an Oscar for his Mercury portrayal, Taron Egerton deserves two.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 07/06/2019 12:09
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I know the competition will be completely different this year, and comparing these two films will be a recurring theme come award season, but if Malek deserved an Oscar for his Mercury portrayal, Taron Egerton deserves two.

Couldn't agree with this more.

That said, haven't seen any performances that overly stand out as 'Oscar-worthy' as of yet this year, tis still early days I suppose though.

• Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 07/11/2019 21:26
  • Post subject:
Yeah, even I loved Rocketman, if only for the way it subverted Todd Haynes-isms explicitly to satirize the sterile musician-biopic format.

Speaking of which, you know what other 2019 film subverts Todd Haynes? My own February short film Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...pp=desktop
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2019 00:55
  • Post subject:
Have ya'll heard the news about The Hunt? The movie is supposedly about liberal elites hunting poor conservatives for sport. It's not overtly stated in the trailer, but it's implied:

Link

Well, in the wake of recent mass shootings, Universal decided to cancel its September release. Who knows if/when it'll ever be released. It's clear The Hunt is meant to be controversial. And Universal's decision makes sense. It's always better for business and PR to avoid controversy after a tragedy. However, is there a 'right time' for a movie like this? Mass shootings happen all the time, and the political divide the movie is satirizing probably isn't going anywhere any time soon.

In other news, MoviePass came back about a week ago, after a month of being shut down. So the rumors that it was ending proved to be false. It's weird though. MP claimed to be on hiatus so that it can improve its app. Well, the app looks and performs exactly the same on my phone as it did before. Literally the only difference was a minor change in its app logo. I can't help but think MoviePass wasn't actually improving its app during its shutdown, therefore I'm still skeptical the service will run much longer. But anyway, it's back for now and that's what matters. I've been too freaking busy lately to use it, but planning to see something this week. OUaTiH, The Farewell, and Midsommar are the most likely ones I'll watch.

Thoughts on The Hunt, and the decision to cancel its release? Thoughts on any other 2019 films?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/12/2019 01:19
  • Post subject:
The trailer looks a little goofy and has at least a half-dozen spoilers, but that's beside the point. Sturgill Simpson x Macon Blair x Swank in a cast is interest enough for me to check it out eventually.

Quote:
However, is there a 'right time' for a movie like this?

Not really. It's like a political Hunger Games/ Free Fire kinda joint by the looks of it.

Hard to say if it's a legit call, PR stunt, or the film just went over really badly in testing... it's definitely going to give it a huge boost in popularity.

Apparently it was going to be called Red V Blue, or something along those lines, which would've been ever more of a controversial call.

America's a mess Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/12/2019 03:07
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
The trailer looks a little goofy and has at least a half-dozen spoilers, but that's beside the point. Sturgill Simpson x Macon Blair x Swank in a cast is interest enough for me to check it out eventually.

Quote:
However, is there a 'right time' for a movie like this?

Not really. It's like a political Hunger Games/ Free Fire kinda joint by the looks of it.

Hard to say if it's a legit call, PR stunt, or the film just went over really badly in testing... it's definitely going to give it a huge boost in popularity.

Apparently it was going to be called Red V Blue, or something along those lines, which would've been ever more of a controversial call.

Totally true, controversy stimulates interest. I hadn't heard of The Hunt until yesterday. If Universal hadn't pulled the plug on it, I likely would not have heard about it until it came out. But now, I've not only heard of The Hunt, I kinda want to see it too. I wasn't reminded of Free Fire from the trailer, but def Hunger Games. Also The Purge, Battle Royale, Most Dangerous Game, and Running Man, etc. The concept of humans hunting other humans isn't new to cinema, but The Hunt seems to have sharper political commentary than the others.

The Hunt, and its cancelled release, is a weird situation where film and politics intersect, and there are multiple hypocrisies and mixed messages going on. Original title was Red vs. Blue, what the hell? I don't know what to think, but I know I'm kinda intrigued to see it whenever it comes out.

Hayden wrote:
America's a mess Laughing

Haha, you got that right!
  • Visit poster's website