"Life handed us a paycheck, we said, "We worked harder than this!""

- Modest Mouse
 
BEA 2018 Championship Tournament

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif




#71 | Posted: 07/08/2019 18:08 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Very disappointed by the Golden Hour tour. Wasn't my jam whatsoever. Preferred Soccer Mommy as support. Great album, though.
_________________
2019 in full effect. Come drop me some recs.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

craola
my name's not craig



Location: Mobile
Unknown

#72 | Posted: 07/09/2019 17:59 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Luigii wrote:
Depending on how the rounds are set up, I could see a vote from me. Quite an excellent record for weird electronics. My only complaints would be that the album even for it's short timespan can feel a little lengthy. As well as artists like Julia Holter and Sophie had more mind bending records. Otherwise I did find this quite fascinating and entertaining ride. Also quite curious for her other records since she had some albums in the 2000's.
Grade:90

hm... interesting that you found it laborious or lengthy as my only complaint of the record is that it feels so short, whereas julia holter's aviary (an incredible album in its own right) tends to sprawl about and generally felt too long and tedious for me to return to frequently. both mind-bending. anja garbarek, i think, has a strong leaning towards introverted 90s surrealism and probably loves lisa germano's work. her songs are mostly vignettes of sorts that live in and live out the emotions without overdramatizing them. if any of that makes sense. julia holter's work is a little less self-absorbed, perhaps. open and outward in its focus, or rather, lack of focus. both very interesting records and great contenders for album of the year.

and definitely check out anja's other albums. i've adored everything i've ever heard from her.

as for sophie... was that record mind-bending? i might have to re-listen to that one. it didn't do all that much for me. i'll have to give it another spin if it's in the nominee pile.
_________________
Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Spotify
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Tilly




Location: Forest Park
United States

#73 | Posted: 07/09/2019 20:22 | Post subject: Reply with quote
Skinny wrote:
Very disappointed by the Golden Hour tour. Wasn't my jam whatsoever. Preferred Soccer Mommy as support. Great album, though.


Surprised to hear that. She seems like a total pro. Love Soccer Mommy, and I can see her guitar heroics being great live. Get to see her next weekend with my kids. We'll be way in the back but still should be fun.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Luigii



Gender: Male
Age: 24
United States

#74 | Posted: 07/09/2019 23:04 | Post subject: Reply with quote
craola wrote:
Luigii wrote:
Depending on how the rounds are set up, I could see a vote from me. Quite an excellent record for weird electronics. My only complaints would be that the album even for it's short timespan can feel a little lengthy. As well as artists like Julia Holter and Sophie had more mind bending records. Otherwise I did find this quite fascinating and entertaining ride. Also quite curious for her other records since she had some albums in the 2000's.
Grade:90

hm... interesting that you found it laborious or lengthy as my only complaint of the record is that it feels so short, whereas julia holter's aviary (an incredible album in its own right) tends to sprawl about and generally felt too long and tedious for me to return to frequently. both mind-bending. anja garbarek, i think, has a strong leaning towards introverted 90s surrealism and probably loves lisa germano's work. her songs are mostly vignettes of sorts that live in and live out the emotions without overdramatizing them. if any of that makes sense. julia holter's work is a little less self-absorbed, perhaps. open and outward in its focus, or rather, lack of focus. both very interesting records and great contenders for album of the year.

and definitely check out anja's other albums. i've adored everything i've ever heard from her.

as for sophie... was that record mind-bending? i might have to re-listen to that one. it didn't do all that much for me. i'll have to give it another spin if it's in the nominee pile.


With Juila, I do understand your critique of Aviary being somewhat long. Hell that plus some moments of the record hold it from being a 95 or 100. But Aviary musically is way more fascinating. While Anja's album while having a lot of interesting sound design and a spellbinding presence does get held back somewhat with how I wish there was more details to get lost within the music. But otherwise I was still impressed and do want to give another listen.

Also with Sophie there are moments that feel transcendental like Pretending which is a reverse of the last track on the 1989 Plunderphonic album or the last leg of Whole New World/Pretend World. Or a good chunk of the album that while feels heavily inspired by Autechre's 2000's and beyond records do strike a certain chord. As well as Pony Boy where the second half sounds like a warped mix of the Dj scratches on Herbie Hancock's Rockit or the panting on George Clinton's Atomic Dog. But it is understandable if a record doesn't hit you that much.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash



Age: 24
Location: Massachusetts
United States

#75 | Posted: 5 days ago | Post subject: Reply with quote
Nominations please! At the rate we're going I'll have to send out lots of PMs tomorrow evening to fill the bracket, so please make it easier on me and post your nominees proactively.
_________________
Add me on RYM
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

AwaitingAndrew



Gender: Male
United States

#76 | Posted: 5 days ago | Post subject: Reply with quote
no chance of winning this thing but sure, I'll oblige with my favorite album of 2018:

Phantom Thread by Jonny Greenwood
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Tap
to resume download


Gender: Male
Age: 34
United States

#77 | Posted: 5 days ago | Post subject: Reply with quote
I was holding off on nominating because I dont think I'll be able to check everything out and participate, but if this helps, I think it'll make for at least one interesting match up


Daphne & Celeste Save The World by ...p; Celeste
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

Rhyner



Gender: Male
Age: 31
Location: Utah
United States

#78 | Posted: 4 days ago | Post subject: Reply with quote
If you need nominations...

Little Dark Age by MGMT

I really haven't dived into 2018 yet. This is currently the only album on my chart for the year.
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

craola
my name's not craig



Location: Mobile
Unknown

#79 | Posted: 4 days ago | Post subject: Reply with quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
Nominations please! At the rate we're going I'll have to send out lots of PMs tomorrow evening to fill the bracket, so please make it easier on me and post your nominees proactively.

any chance you can edit OP to show which records have been nominated thus far?
_________________
Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Spotify
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash



Age: 24
Location: Massachusetts
United States

#80 | Posted: 4 days ago | Post subject: Reply with quote
craola wrote:
any chance you can edit OP to show which records have been nominated thus far?


Good suggestion - just added the spreadsheet link to the OP
_________________
Add me on RYM
Back to top
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Games


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
No new posts [ Poll ] BEA 2017 Championship Tournament baystateoftheart Games 154 11/04/2018 01:10 View latest post
baystateoftheart
No new posts [ Poll ] 2017 Championship Tournament, Round 1... baystateoftheart Games 5 09/12/2018 13:54 View latest post
Purplepash
No new posts [ Poll ] 2017 Championship Tournament, Round 1... baystateoftheart Games 7 09/20/2018 17:28 View latest post
Tilly
No new posts [ Poll ] 2017 Championship Tournament, Round 1... baystateoftheart Games 7 09/10/2018 02:08 View latest post
baystateoftheart
No new posts [ Poll ] 2017 Championship Tournament, Round 1... baystateoftheart Games 8 09/11/2018 19:24 View latest post
baystateoftheart

 
 

Powered by phpBB©



Copyright © 2005-2019 BestEverAlbums.com. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Us  |   Advertising  |   RSS Feeds  |   Site Map