"I have dreams of orca whales and owls. But I wake up in fear"

- Regina SpektorĀ 

Greatest Albums of All Time (Rock & Jazz)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

AfterHours

#171 | Posted: 07/06/2019 20:46 | Post subject: Reply with quote
AfterHours wrote:
Beethoven's 9th, especially my listed recording/album ... then all the "Greatest Classical" selections from the top down on my list (and the hundreds I havent rated/ranked yet Wink

Maybe not exactly what you meant though... Very Happy

For Rock, I used to rate lots of them before Scaruffi throughout the 2000s, and once he rated it they were usually the same or very close, particularly after circa 2006 as my ratings scale got increasingly similar to his. I think Ys was the highest one (8 at the time, more recently a 9 for me).

Theyre fewer and farther between these days. With how busy my life is, efficiency for me is very important, and I dont have time to go through lots of lower rated works to find the better ones. So I "use" Scaruffi for this for the most part (therefore I dont often discover many before him)

That said, I think Father Murphy's Croce and Dirty Beaches Stateless (7.5 each) are the highest rated Rock on my list that he hasnt rated yet. Though there were lots of Jazz before recently when he finally got around to them (we agreed about 75% overall ... above 80% pre 90s).

Actually, add Hval's Apocalypse girl (7.6), Girl Band Holding Hands With Jamie (7.6) and Pyrrhon's latest (7.9) though these will need to be revisited while I am going through so many of my selections to see if they still hold up. Holter's Aviary might be up there too, though I havent rated it yet (so not actually sure) and dont know if I will get to it (so much to assimilate) before he does
Visit poster's website View user's profile Send private message

baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

#172 | Posted: 07/06/2019 22:33 | Post subject: Reply with quote
AfterHours wrote:
add Hval's Apocalypse girl (7.6)

Good choice. Have you listened to Blood Bitch? I like them about equally.

AfterHours

#173 | Posted: 07/06/2019 22:42 | Post subject: Reply with quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
Good choice. Have you listened to Blood Bitch? I like them about equally.

Nope not yet. Thanks for the rec!

craola
my name's not craig

Unknown

#174 | Posted: 4 days ago | Post subject: Reply with quote
AfterHours wrote:
Nope not yet. Thanks for the rec!

another must-hear, though it's more susanna than jenny, is the collaboration Jenny Hval / Susanna did, Meshes of Voice. one of my all-time favorites.

AfterHours

#175 | Posted: 4 days ago | Post subject: Reply with quote
craola wrote:
another must-hear, though it's more susanna than jenny, is the collaboration Jenny Hval / Susanna did, Meshes of Voice. one of my all-time favorites.

Thanks craola, Hval is a fascinating artist. I would recommend to anyone that is a fan of hers, to delve into Jane Siberry & Julia Holter's best (especially Tragedy, Ekstasis, Aviary ...When I Was a Boy, No Borders Here, The Walking, Speckless Sky...) if not done already

craola
my name's not craig

Unknown

#176 | Posted: 4 days ago | Post subject: Reply with quote
AfterHours wrote:
Thanks craola, Hval is a fascinating artist. I would recommend to anyone that is a fan of hers, to delve into Jane Siberry & Julia Holter's best (especially Tragedy, Ekstasis, Aviary ...When I Was a Boy, No Borders Here, The Walking, Speckless Sky...) if not done already

i've worked through julia's, but i'm unfamiliar with jane. thank you likewise for the rec.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18
   Forum Index -> Best Ever Albums -> Music Diaries

Jump to: