Monthly overall chart movements

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mythtall





  • #11
  • Posted: 09/03/2019 20:03
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
This thread is fascinating. It is amazing how things have evolved Smile
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
PurpleHazel




United States

  • #12
  • Posted: 09/03/2019 20:50
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
RoundTheBend wrote:
IMO, this one is a shame... and it fell hard.
The Great Twenty-Eight by Chuck Berry (Rank today: 1072 | Ten years ago: 248 | -824 places)

It may be that it dropped so much because it's a compilation. A shame, though.
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
RoundTheBend
Was ich scheiße ist beßer, als was du je gedacht.



Location: Ground Control
United States

  • #13
  • Posted: 09/04/2019 02:54
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
PurpleHazel wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
IMO, this one is a shame... and it fell hard.
The Great Twenty-Eight by Chuck Berry (Rank today: 1072 | Ten years ago: 248 | -824 places)

It may be that it dropped so much because it's a compilation. A shame, though.


That's the real shame I was alluding to. I think people get bent out of shape on comps here and I think they are conflating two things - an artist ALWAYS has control on how the music is released and even if the artist has control, that the artist ALWAYS had a grand scheme to track listing. So they hate it when "pop" songs are released in a different order. It's laughable sometimes. I really don't think Chuck Berry cared about track listing order or having a holistic experience when you listened to his albums... I mean I didn't ask the guy, but I really don't think those were concepts important to early rock n' roll. Or for a majority of pop music for that matter.

Having said that, I suppose I'm equally to blame. I really like that record, but don't have it on any of my charts that would effect any scores... doh!
_________________
Classical Reviews
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
PurpleHazel




United States

  • #14
  • Posted: 09/04/2019 08:16
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
RoundTheBend wrote:
That's the real shame I was alluding to. I think people get bent out of shape on comps here and I think they are conflating two things - an artist ALWAYS has control on how the music is released and even if the artist has control, that the artist ALWAYS had a grand scheme to track listing. So they hate it when "pop" songs are released in a different order. It's laughable sometimes. I really don't think Chuck Berry cared about track listing order or having a holistic experience when you listened to his albums... I mean I didn't ask the guy, but I really don't think those were concepts important to early rock n' roll. Or for a majority of pop music for that matter.

Yeah, Chuck Berry's earliest hits were released before the 12" LP became the norm in pop. Also the further back than 1967 in rock you go (except the Beatles), the less well the albums do in the rankings.

Quote:
Having said that, I suppose I'm equally to blame. I really like that record, but don't have it on any of my charts that would effect any scores... doh!

Be the change, man. Very Happy
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
RoundTheBend
Was ich scheiße ist beßer, als was du je gedacht.



Location: Ground Control
United States

  • #15
  • Posted: 09/06/2019 04:41
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
Hehe... Be the change... Hehe.

Also yeah then there's the release type factor. But even if he released his full body of work in the 70s, he just wasn't that type of artist.
_________________
Classical Reviews
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
PurpleHazel




United States

  • #16
  • Posted: 09/06/2019 07:15
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
RoundTheBend wrote:
I really don't think those were concepts important to early rock n' roll. Or for a majority of pop music for that matter.

You're absolutely right.

RoundTheBend wrote:
But even if he released his full body of work in the 70s, he just wasn't that type of artist.

He wasn't in the least -- but he sorta tried anyway! Laughing


Link


Also, if Berry's first songs were recorded in the 70s, what the hell would rock have sounded like before then?!
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
RoundTheBend
Was ich scheiße ist beßer, als was du je gedacht.



Location: Ground Control
United States

  • #17
  • Posted: 09/09/2019 17:28
  • Post subject:
  • Reply with quote
ha! I had never heard that before. Thanks!
_________________
Classical Reviews
RYM
last.fm
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
Back to top
  • Visit poster's website
  • View user's profile
  • Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Definition of a 'Recognised Chart' albummaster Suggestions
Monthly overall chart movements albummaster Music
Monthly overall chart movements albummaster Music
Monthly overall chart movements albummaster Music
Monthly overall chart movements albummaster Music

 

Powered by phpBB©