GHOSTEEN

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Daydreamer

• Posted: 10/09/2019 07:00
  • Post subject:
Nick Cave was one of the greats it took me the longest to get into. Since he has several phases it's a hard question where to start with him.

I for one wouldn't recommend Murder Ballads as a first choice for classic Cave, since it's a bit long and takes a time getting into. I think Let Love In is the better choice as a first album, followed by The Boatman's Call which represents the gentler Nick Cave the balladeer. And then you could try some modern Nick with Push The Sky Away which is the most accesible one from this decade.

So I'd take this route.

Let Love In by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Classic Cave, has some of this most well known songs and has his trademark gothic sound.

The Boatman's Call by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Piano ballads on this one, and his lyricism is definitely on godly lever throughout this record.

Push The Sky Away by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Here comes the best part, I honestly think 2010's are his best decade, even though he should be well past his prime. Only three albums released, yet two are great and the third one is just relesead and appears to be on the similar level. This is the minimalistic, ambient Cave, and I think that the style suited him perfectly.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Jhereko

• Posted: 10/09/2019 14:53
  • Post subject:
Coming right at the end of the end of the decade gives this album an extra significance as if it's closing multiple chapters. Crazy to get something this good this late in the game.

I think listening to some of the Bad Seeds' 90s work (Good Son is I think the most consistent work but it all carries the qualities that are undeniably him) is a good place to start. Then you could probably skip ahead to Push The Sky Away, Skeleton Tree then this.
  • Visit poster's website