2019 albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 10/09/2019 10:07
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-200-best-albums-of-the-2010s/

Pitchfork list, time to shit on them. It's 200 best albums of the 2010s, and it's just... Pitchfork. This is the reason everybody makes fun of them. Scroll through the first 30-40 and you'll see why. Some of the most questionable choices imo are: Lonerism as the best Tame Impala record, Rihanna's Anti being on the list, in the top 15 and higher than anything by Beyonce, no jazz albums (or I've missed them), the best metal record being at 123 (Sunbather lol), and a lot of others.

Erm...Beyonce does have an album higher on the list than Anti. Also, Currents is the highest Tame Impala album on this list not Lonerism Laughing

But otherwise, yeah. Pitchfork fucked up. Again.

(Think this discussion prob belongs on the musical random chat thread now.)

Edit: there is also at least one Jazz album in the list I can recall (The Epic). Otherwise you really nailed that hot take Wink
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 10/09/2019 11:34
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Also, Currents is the highest Tame Impala album on this list not Lonerism Laughing

Ugh. Tame Impala has 2 albums on the list!? And yet they couldn't find room to fit any Nick Cave, Kozelek, pretty much any metal...etc

It's a weird list. it's also several months too early which annoys the crap out of me.
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 10/09/2019 14:20
  • Post subject:
They are not just bad, they have become entirely predictable and therefore extremely boring.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/09/2019 16:13
  • Post subject:
Yeah I was pretty drunk when I wrote that... But some of those points still stand Laughing

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2019 00:24
  • Post subject:
imagine thinking this decade was so bad you have to include anti
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 10/10/2019 17:57
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I'm geniunely frustrated that I'm not loving that Angel Olsen record as much as some do, considering My Woman was easily my album of the year.
Orchestral arrangements work on some tracks more than on the other, her vocal delivery is often different than before, and I felt it was a bit hit and miss.

I don't really love Lark as much as I want to, considering I feel it's a very well written track. Chance is another one like that, like it's.. almost great, but I can't 100% get into it for whatever reason. I did love Spring, Too Easy, Endgame (though that one just reminds me of Julia Holter), Summer, New Love Cassette...

Yeah Im kind of split on it as well, Lark strikes me as a song that works great when you dissect it piece by piece but actually listening to it in it's entirity... it just doesn't work. The first half of the album to me feels a bit flat, too much digital processing that drowns out Olson's vocals which should never be drowned out (though "Spring" is indeed a nice track), and she herself seems kind of second fidddle to the bold but somewhat icy arrangements. It isn't towards the end of "What It Is" that the album really finds it's groove, and then it does really become something consistiently terrific and where Angel herself gets eye-level with her still-massive compositions. So yeah... really I just find it half of a really excellent album and a bit less intimate than My Woman, which is a bit dissapointing so far but it may continue to grow, who knows. Seems a bit of a Teen Dream to Bloom situation here, for an innappropiate comparison.

Anyways what are the new exciting releases beyond the obvious choices, been out of the loop this past month.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2019 19:58
  • Post subject:

Atlas: Enneagram by Sleeping At Last

This is a really good album as a whole, but if you've ever taken an enneagram test and you know what number you are, you should at the very least listen to your number's track. This whole album is dedicated to songs about the different enneagram types, and they're really well-written. I know the track for my type really hit me

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 10/10/2019 21:49
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Atlas: Enneagram by Sleeping At Last

This is a really good album as a whole, but if you've ever taken an enneagram test and you know what number you are, you should at the very least listen to your number's track. This whole album is dedicated to songs about the different enneagram types, and they're really well-written. I know the track for my type really hit me

Sounds interesting. I have a recording of a symphony by Danish composer Carl Neilsen called "The Four Temperaments." Each of its four movements represents one of the four temperaments, (sanguine, choleric, melancholic, and phlegmatic) as described in the proto-psychological theory. While it's strictly instrumental, he absolutely nailed all four.

Everyone in my family has taken the Enneagram test, and I like the idea of conceptualizing it in music, just as Neilsen did with the four temperaments. While I'm sure the music is completely different, given my appreciation for the concept, I look forward to checking this out. Thanks for posting this.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2019 19:10
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:

Sounds interesting. I have a recording of a symphony by Danish composer Carl Neilsen called "The Four Temperaments." Each of its four movements represents one of the four temperaments, (sanguine, choleric, melancholic, and phlegmatic) as described in the proto-psychological theory. While it's strictly instrumental, he absolutely nailed all four.

Everyone in my family has taken the Enneagram test, and I like the idea of conceptualizing it in music, just as Neilsen did with the four temperaments. While I'm sure the music is completely different, given my appreciation for the concept, I look forward to checking this out. Thanks for posting this.

No problem! I hope you like it. It was an interesting concept to write a song from the perspective of each enneagram type dealing with the struggles their specific type deals with, and I think using that vehicle was a good way to really tap into the deep, personal struggles of different types of people.

I didn't relate too much to the songs from the perspectives of the other enneagram types (though I still enjoyed the songs), but the one from the perspective of my type made me go "oh man this is me"

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 10/15/2019 01:51
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Fischman wrote:

No problem! I hope you like it. It was an interesting concept to write a song from the perspective of each enneagram type dealing with the struggles their specific type deals with, and I think using that vehicle was a good way to really tap into the deep, personal struggles of different types of people.

I didn't relate too much to the songs from the perspectives of the other enneagram types (though I still enjoyed the songs), but the one from the perspective of my type made me go "oh man this is me"

So, I really enjoyed the album. Interestingly, lyrically I thought the song of my type didn't quite hit the mark, extrapolating too much on one rather tangential element of the personality type. Between my wife and three kids, there are three other personality types an the songs absolutely nailed two of them. It makes sense that the artist would present some better than others, but overall, quite an achievement I think.
  • Visit poster's website