Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2019)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 4 days ago
  • Post subject: Re: Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2019)
AfterHours wrote:
I am 99.9% immune to comic book movie hype (on purely my own interest & determinism, not counting going with some friends or as a date) ... but your recommendation might get me to it! It does look more interesting than most and I liked Nolan's.

Overall, Tarantino's latest would be my top choice to see in theaters right now.

I can get that, but Joker stands out because it's barely connected to that universe. It's mostly a fresh new take on the character, with clearly far more effort put into the cinematography, score, and acting than most mainstream comic book adaptations, not to mention the bleakness and graphic violence. Not quite Natural Born Killers, but still good. It's more of a Scorsese tribute (Taxi Driver, The King of Comedy) than a comic book film really.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 4 days ago
  • Post subject: Re: Top 10+ Music, Movies, and Visual Art of the Week (2019)
Facetious wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
I am 99.9% immune to comic book movie hype (on purely my own interest & determinism, not counting going with some friends or as a date) ... but your recommendation might get me to it! It does look more interesting than most and I liked Nolan's.

Overall, Tarantino's latest would be my top choice to see in theaters right now.

I can get that, but Joker stands out because it's barely connected to that universe. It's mostly a fresh new take on the character, with clearly far more effort put into the cinematography, score, and acting than most mainstream comic book adaptations, not to mention the bleakness and graphic violence. Not quite Natural Born Killers, but still good. It's more of a Scorsese tribute (Taxi Driver, The King of Comedy) than a comic book film really.

Thank you - it does sound promising. Scorsese is an excellent touchstone and pulling from him would make a nice twist for a comic book film.

Batman Returns pulls from Nosferatu, Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari and other German Expressionist films ... along with Welles, Gilliam, Hitchcock and Kubrick, (all smoothly & essentially integrated under superb direction and rather masterful composure by Burton) ... which is a huge part of its success and what makes it stand out so much relative to others.
  • Visit poster's website