Controversial Music Opinions On BEA!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 384, 385, 386
View previous topic :: View next topic
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2019 17:51
  • Post subject:
I wasn't really including People in my argument about how the band will age, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. The most recent single is getting a lot of comparisons to future garage and Burial, and the melody sounds like a rewrite of TOOTIME. It seems like the new album will be kind of scattershot and that People might be the only song of its type. If they play around with a lot of older sounds the narrative would probably shift to them mining nostalgia or something. Which admittedly is also not likely to age well, but it fits my argument that they'd act as a kind of time capsule for the youth of their era considering how obsessed a lot of people are with nostalgia these days.

The point I tried to make earlier that I forgot to add is that there's something to be said about capturing a certain period of time and what our mindset was like. MCR fit into the mall emo scene but their music also resonated with people and changed a lot of lives. The 1975 are similar in that they're focusing on current social issues in their music while also fitting into a millennial / Gen Z aesthetic that I can't really describe. Even if the music sounds like a pastiche years from now I don't think it makes the critical evaluation that progressive, positive music that a lot of people relate to has a lot of worth look bad.
DommeDamian

Denmark

• Posted: 11/06/2019 18:28
  • Post subject:
Justin Timberlake is potentially the best pop/R&B-star of the 2000s.
JT's Man of The Woods is actually decent, with great songs on it. Though Still terrible by his album standards.
Soundcloud: Link in bio
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kamens

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2019 08:00
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I have to say I'm also on the anti-1975 bandwagon. They're going to be one of those bands where the critical adoration ages especially poorly.

Strange, I think the exact opposite. There is an almost ironic subtlety about the band that has given them an edge since day 1 that critics are just now picking up on. Almost like they know they're melodramatic but don't give a shit about it but also play into the character of being melodramatic from a perspective that isn't necessarily self aware but isn't necessarily not self aware either. They're as bombastic and witty as Oasis, just constantly about four years ahead of their time.

The new Best Coast single is the sign of a brand new band that is invigorated in a way we haven't seen before from them. For The First Time is breezy and summery and crisp and almost like a Toto classic. I know their image has aged terribly and no one gives a shit about them anymore but their new single is legitimately amazing and will inevitably and criminally be underappreciated.
  • Visit poster's website