Someone finally uses the 'Random Album' button

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 10/12/2019 22:45
  • Post subject: Random Album #8
I've made big changes to the way I rate albums, to the extent that I reset all my ratings. Someday I'll edit the ones I've done here so far but I guess I'm just gonna keep going where I left off here.

Songs For Swinging Lovers by Radio Stars

PREAMBLE Dammit random album button another punk album?

1 Yup, another one. Well there's nothing wrong with the opener but there's not much to it either. A little generic.
2 This is not as monotonous as the opener and it has more intricate arrangements.
3 I like this one too, no drop in quality so far.
4 I like the lyrics on this one! I'm enjoying this so far I guess.
5 uh... okay? I'm just gonna pretend this is an interlude track.
6 Imagine listening to this if your name was Eric.
7 The age on these songs is starting to show now...
8 There's lots of energy here but the songs are becoming less and less memorable as the runtime goes on. I feel like track 5 sort of set a curse on this.
9 This one is definitely more remarkable than the last few but it is probably the most outdated song on the album so far.
10 Very of its time, somewhat brainless.
11 The band plays well but they really don't bring anything new with them. They have a sense of humor at least.
12 YOU KNOW THE WAY INFLATION RISES.

VERDICT Curse you, track 5. You awkwardly cast your deformed shadow over the remainder of the album. As far as the album before track 5 goes it's good enough. Is It Really Necessary (2) is my favorite track off of it but it's nothing special either. Check this out if you like punk rock of the era nonetheless. It's really not that bad. I think I might have missed some of the album's humor too. Thanks random album button.

Rating: 4/10

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/28/2019 19:38; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 12/28/2019 19:35
  • Post subject: Random Album #9

Parts Primitive by Primitive Parts

Preamble: It’s got to be indie something, probably on the rockier side.

1 Yup, it’s indie rock with a punky edge to it. I like the thin, trashy sound of the band. It’s so lo-fi I can’t understand the lyrics but that’s not necessarily a complaint as much as a description. Good riff and tight playing on this track.
2 The energetic performance continues from the opener. Lyrics are even more undecipherable in this one, but at the same time it creates personality. If I’m not mistaken that’s an acoustic guitar backing up… interesting. Other than the weakly executed chorus this really gets going.
3 Interesting guitar work on this track. I find this less memorable than the last two tracks but it’s not bad.
4 Getting a little tired of the vocals which are awkwardly drenched in reverb here, though for the rest of the band this is a great track.
5 Not sure where this track is going. The riff is not very memorable and it all ends up feeling like a forced and utterly colorless Blur song.
6 Turning up the speed again but the sound is becoming stale.
7 Not a fan of the riff… the interplay with the two guitars doesn’t come out in a very appealing way. It’s as if they compete for attention in the forefront instead of sharing space and distract from the rest of the track.
8 No complaints about this one. Vocals are a little more engaging, finally.
9 This one sort of flew past me… It all sounds like it was done before on an earlier track.
10 This track sort of stands out. It has a different aesthetic with it and actually feels like it’s going somewhere though I still prefer the opening track. Don’t know what that little bonus track has to do with anything.

Verdict: A thin, lo-fi sound that is intriguing at first but overstays its welcome with nearly no variations or expansion on it is the most that this band has brought with them on their debut album. It sounds like a low-budget, punky version of 90’s britpop in garage band stages. Perhaps the opening track is your best bet if you want to check this out. It's poor but it's not a terrible listen, particularly considering it's the band's first effort. Maybe some more flesh on their very skeletal sound would do them good.

Rating: 4/10

Last edited by RadioBallet on 12/31/2019 23:24; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RadioBallet

Canada

• Posted: 12/29/2019 13:27
  • Post subject: Random Album #10

Congo Ashanti by The Congos

PREAMBLE: I recognize the name… I think I’ve seen another one of their albums around on the website. I’m not even going to bother guessing what kind of music this will be.

1 I know nothing about reggae, but hey, that’s what this thread is for. Interesting lyrics, there is a sense of urgency and struggle for righteousness brought in with the religious references to the end times. Excellent groove, I feel like I could listen to this for hours. Love that piano solo ending the track off.
2 Despite the lyrics being a little preachy, they (again) create a vivid urgency. This one brings some social commentary in as well. Another solid groove.
3 More of the same (which is a good thing) but more upbeat.
4 I really don’t have anything else to add. Every track is as good as the last.
5 That refrain is excellent and the lyrics are empowering. This track is my favorite of the bunch so far.
6 I like the high-pitched delivery scattered throughout the album and prominently on this track. Still no complaints about the album.
7 Man… ball has not been dropped. One more to go.
8 Brings closure, providing hope for deliverance from the vanity of the world that has been described during the album. Excellent track to close out the album.

VERDICT: Whether one shares the particular religious view of the group at hand or not, it’s safe to say we all seek deliverance from something that is rather insurmountable. Though this album is all about that idea, it never lays down as victim. Rather it’s about what we can do to cope with our challenges and what we can hope for as a righteous collective. The groove starts right away and doesn’t ever slow down or drag. Youth Man (5) and the closing track are my clear picks if you want to check it out.

Rating: 7/10
  • Visit poster's website