2019 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2020 20:34
  • Post subject:
For once, I'm not mostly disappointed by the results. A Korean film just won best picture, not an English language war drama. Take that, 1917!

But truth be told, Parasite was a great movie. And given the climate of inclusion and "wokeness" in cinema and their award shows, a non-English film was bound to take the big prize sooner or later. And in selecting Parasite to be the film that broke that cultural barrier, all I can say "at least they picked a darn good one."
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2020 22:37
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
For once, I'm not mostly disappointed by the results. A Korean film just won best picture

And given the climate of inclusion and "wokeness" in cinema and their award shows, a non-English film was bound to take the big prize sooner or later. And in selecting Parasite to be the film that broke that cultural barrier, all I can say "at least they picked a darn good one."

Though I slightly preferred Marriage Story, it's fantastic that a non-English film finally won BP, and I have no complaints about Parasite winning it.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2020 05:13
  • Post subject:
PurpleHazel wrote:
CA Dreamin wrote:
For once, I'm not mostly disappointed by the results. A Korean film just won best picture

And given the climate of inclusion and "wokeness" in cinema and their award shows, a non-English film was bound to take the big prize sooner or later. And in selecting Parasite to be the film that broke that cultural barrier, all I can say "at least they picked a darn good one."

Though I slightly preferred Marriage Story, it's fantastic that a non-English film finally won BP, and I have no complaints about Parasite winning it.
Me neither. I say Parasite is the best Best Picture Winner since 12 Years a Slave. I wouldn't put Marriage Story in the same league as Parasite, but I liked Marriage Story a lot more than I thought I would. It's easily the heaviest movie I've seen from Baumbach.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/11/2020 05:26
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I say Parasite is the best Best Picture Winner since 12 Years a Slave.

Not to be lame and bring 'numbers' into it, but combing through the best picture winners I've watched, I've only given perfect scores to four: It Happened One Night, The Apartment, No Country For Old Men, and now Parasite. Even as someone who enjoyed 1917, I'm stoked Bong won over another war drama. This might be premature, but out of what I've seen I genuinely think Parasite might be the strongest film that's ever won Best Picture.

(Keeping in mind I find The Godfather good, not great, and The Godfather II kinda sappy and don't really get the hype).

(Also keeping in mind I've never watched The Deer Hunter or The Best Years of Our Lives).

I think I'm going to drop BEA's 2019 film poll sometime this week. Cutoff late March or something.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2020 08:55
  • Post subject:
Like Parasite more than 12 Years a Slave. 12 Years a Slave's an excellent film, but its John Ridley-penned screenplay, while good, could've been better. Parasite and No Country for Old Men are a near toss-up for me. So I can only say with confidence the "best Oscar winner since" One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'd say Schindler's List if Spielberg hadn't included that "girl in the red coat" sequence, which mars the film badly. Silence of the Lambs is up there too. There are at least 8 Oscar winners I'm sure like better than Parasite -- a massive compliment Smile -- but they're all from the 1970s or earlier.

Parasite, Marriage Story and The Irishman are all very close in quality to me. Think Marriage Story has the least flaws, so for now I'm going with that as best film of 2019.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2020 01:43
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Have ya'll heard the news about The Hunt? The movie is supposedly about liberal elites hunting poor conservatives for sport. It's not overtly stated in the trailer, but it's implied:

Link

Well, in the wake of recent mass shootings, Universal decided to cancel its September release. Who knows if/when it'll ever be released. It's clear The Hunt is meant to be controversial. And Universal's decision makes sense. It's always better for business and PR to avoid controversy after a tragedy. However, is there a 'right time' for a movie like this? Mass shootings happen all the time, and the political divide the movie is satirizing probably isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Thoughts on The Hunt, and the decision to cancel its release? Thoughts on any other 2019 films?

It's ba-ack!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-...sy-1278642

Opens wide next Friday (the 13th!)
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2020 02:53
  • Post subject:
^^Nice. Let's see if this country can avoid a mass shooting for another week.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2020 08:46
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Nice. Let's see if this country can avoid a mass shooting for another week.

Laughing Sad
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2020 02:54
  • Post subject:
The Hunt can't catch a break. First mass shootings delay its original release. Then when it does finally get released, it falls in the midst of an epidemic, wrecking its box office potential.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/20/2020 00:02
  • Post subject:
Just watched Hagazussa. If you think Midsommar has very slow pacing, you'll lack the words to describe this movie's pacing. I didn't like it much overall, but it looks incredible, especially light and dark contrast. Music was good too, minimalistic ambient by MMMD. I mean just look at this shot.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website