Album of the day (#324): Loaded by The Velvet Underground

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Street

• Posted: 10/02/2011 08:55
  • Post subject:
besteveruser wrote:
I happen to love pop/rock, and most every band I love that was influenced by them is just pop/rock stuff, so of course I like the album that sounds like that stuff.

Well put, and that about sums up my sentiment on this album as well. Smile
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/02/2011 10:15
  • Post subject:
I have nothing against pop rock. Just this sort. Sweet Jane is good, but my god the recording quality is terrible.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/02/2011 13:51
  • Post subject:
I don't think it's as good as their self titled one, but this is the side of VU I like most (ie not the experimental side of WL,WH).. Sweet Jane, Rock & Roll and I found a reason are all great songs
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2011 14:40
  • Post subject:
Thank God that Loaded doesn't have anything like "The Murder Mystery" or any of their unlistenable "experiments". Sure, it's an album full of pop rock songs. But don't lie. So are Revolver, Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, Nevermind, The White Album, Zeppelin IV, and London Calling...all from the overall top 10. And, yeah, the production may be not the best...but if it was, you'd hate it even more because that's not how the Velvets were "supposed" to sound.

People get upset when bands spread their wings and do something different. I've heard people say that the Velvets "sold out" on Loaded. I say, pah. Loaded is a great record, and deserves its spot on these charts a lot more than some other stinkers that have ended up ahead of it that are much, much worse in terms of songs, playing, and production.

Loaded shows that they could do it. And it shows that Lou Reed was THE real strength of the band. The first 5 songs here are as strong as ANY first five on a rock album. "Who Loves The Sun" is brilliant...a completely depressing lyric hidden in a 60's upbeat pop song. "Sweet Jane" and "Rock & Roll" are two of Reed's best songs. "Cool It Down" and "New Age" round out an amazing album side.

Side two isn't as strong, but it's still better than most. Overall, this may not be the same sound as the first 3 albums, but that's okay. In my opinion, this album completes the band and is a necessary part of their legacy.

Also, skip the Fully Loaded Edition. The original 10 songs and 23 outtakes? Completely unneccesary and bloated.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/02/2011 16:45
  • Post subject:
Nah, I don't see it as them selling out, you can see this is Lou beginning the style he would do in his solo career. I just don't like it.
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2011 03:07
  • Post subject:
I love it. It's one of their most diverse records and is strong throughout. I do think The Ocean should have been on it. That's one of their best songs. I recommend the reissue, but it's got some essential bonus tracks.
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/05/2011 19:59
  • Post subject:
Polythene Pam wrote:
loaded is a VU album in the same way that the Division Bell is a Pink Floyd album.

I agree. Essentially this is a Lou Reed album and for a very good reason: He is the only original member. The songs have no depth and some are among the weakest of his career. Overall, the album is the epitome of mediocrity given the high standards of their first two. It's a travesty to call this a Velvet Underground album.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/05/2011 20:08
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
Polythene Pam wrote:
loaded is a VU album in the same way that the Division Bell is a Pink Floyd album.

I agree. Essentially this is a Lou Reed album and for a very good reason: He is the only original member. The songs have no depth and some are among the weakest of his career. Overall, the album is the epitome of mediocrity given the high standards of their first two. It's a travesty to call this a Velvet Underground album.

Did Lou Reed not write the majority of VU songs?
  • Visit poster's website
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/05/2011 20:59
  • Post subject:
Yep, he was their main songwriter. Where are you going with this?
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 10/06/2011 04:23
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
Yep, he was their main songwriter. Where are you going with this?

Well I guess my main point is that you can't compare Loaded with The Division Bell (or AMLoR) - Gilmour rarely ever wrote lyrics before that. Then the second point is that considering Lou Reed wrote most of the songs even on their first three albums, it's hard to attribute the "lack of depth in the songs" (I disagree with that btw) to the fact that he was the only songwriter.. It's true that the absence of John Cale is noticeable (I guess in lack of experimentation) but I still don't think that means it shouldn't be called a "VU" album - after all it was still the same guy that wrote most of the VU songs right? Or is it the quality of songs that in your opinion decides whether an album should be attributed to the band? (kind of like some Pink Floyd fans accept The Final Cut as a proper Pink Floyd album, but not AMLoR and TDB)

On a side note, what do you think about their self titled one then?
  • Visit poster's website