Leaving Neverland Thoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/05/2019 19:03
  • Post subject: Leaving Neverland Thoughts
Hello everyone.

I'm sure many of you are aware of the two part documentary on Michael Jackson last night. Leaving Neverland has already caused a lot of controversy before it ever aired since it deals with two men who have said that they were sexual abused by Jackson during the height of his fame in the late 80s and early 90s. I'm trying to keep spoilers down in this main post, but I think it'll be alright to talk about spoilers past this point. If you have watched it I'm curious to see what you think of it, or if you have decided not to watch it why you chose to do so.

http://www.scumnvillainy.com/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2019 02:08
  • Post subject:
I hadn't heard about this documentary until recently. I have no interest. It may be well-made, but I'm just tired of hearing about celebrities who are sex offenders.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/08/2019 02:38
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I hadn't heard about this documentary until recently. I have no interest. It may be well-made, but I'm just tired of hearing about celebrities who are sex offenders.

I understand, that's definitely fair. You aren't the first person to choose not to watch it.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mdbaxter

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2019 15:17
  • Post subject:
I watched it. It was compelling but a lot of it seemed contrived to me. Some parts made it seem like the filmmaker was trying to corroborate the two stories by having them tell similar parts of their story at the same time. It just seemed like he was trying to get the viewer to say "wow, they can't both be making this stuff up." It is almost completely one-sided against Jackson which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just has an obvious agenda. It isn't an investigatory documentary it's just two people and their families telling their story. I did some googling after to see how true it was and there are some serious red flags with both stories that the film doesn't talk about. Specifically, one of the accusers only came out about this after he had a dispute with the Michael Jackson estate and the other didn't come out until he heard about the other guy doing it. I would've enjoyed it more if it provided more information for the viewer to interpret.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/08/2019 15:30
  • Post subject:
I've read a lot of background information that makes the POV of the Documentary pretty suspect.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/08/2019 15:52
  • Post subject:
mdbaxter wrote:
I watched it. It was compelling but a lot of it seemed contrived to me. Some parts made it seem like the filmmaker was trying to corroborate the two stories by having them tell similar parts of their story at the same time. It just seemed like he was trying to get the viewer to say "wow, they can't both be making this stuff up." It is almost completely one-sided against Jackson which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just has an obvious agenda. It isn't an investigatory documentary it's just two people and their families telling their story. I did some googling after to see how true it was and there are some serious red flags with both stories that the film doesn't talk about. Specifically, one of the accusers only came out about this after he had a dispute with the Michael Jackson estate and the other didn't come out until he heard about the other guy doing it. I would've enjoyed it more if it provided more information for the viewer to interpret.

There is definitely some complexities to the story that can make you suspicious on either side. The fact that he tried to get some money out of the state before and when it failed he did the documentary instead makes the whole thing a little disingenuous. MJ appears to have had some inappropriate relationships with kids, whether he really did truly cross the line or not. I was expecting that if the victims were telling the truth that more would come out, but it hasn't happened yet.

Its definitely got a point of view. Personally, I'm leaning towards the claims being true, but if they are disproven somehow I'd be absolutely disgusted with the people involved.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mdbaxter

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2019 16:33
  • Post subject:
Villain wrote:
There is definitely some complexities to the story that can make you suspicious on either side. The fact that he tried to get some money out of the state before and when it failed he did the documentary instead makes the whole thing a little disingenuous. MJ appears to have had some inappropriate relationships with kids, whether he really did truly cross the line or not. I was expecting that if the victims were telling the truth that more would come out, but it hasn't happened yet.

Its definitely got a point of view. Personally, I'm leaning towards the claims being true, but if they are disproven somehow I'd be absolutely disgusted with the people involved.

I feel the same way but I'm having trouble committing to a side. No matter what side you think is true, the other side is disgusting. It's disgusting if Michael actually did it or it's disgusting if they're making it up.
  • Visit poster's website
Villain

Canada

• Posted: 03/08/2019 17:16
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I feel the same way but I'm having trouble committing to a side. No matter what side you think is true, the other side is disgusting. It's disgusting if Michael actually did it or it's disgusting if they're making it up.

There could be more developments on this subject now that the film is out there. I think a decent amount of people watched it, but there are some that haven't been able to get to it yet. I'm glad that a conversation can be had without it getting too hostile either.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 05/29/2020 09:37
  • Post subject:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P...Z5966jAqmf

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓