Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84 ... 152, 153, 154  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 19:24
  • Post subject: Re: Round 3: harder 1964
dihansse wrote:

I'll start with 1964 but already listened extensively to the four albums I already own so here is an album on my wishlist of that year:

The Animals by The Animals
This is a bit of difficult because the original UK album didn't feature no hits and the US version which is on BEA has The House Of The Rising which is of course a killer. But the rest of both versions is fairly standard rhythms & Blues with not a lot of originality so I'll skip this one for my top chart. I fear most of the songs I like from the Animals were singles which didn't make it to the albums.

Totally disagree, brother! This is right up there with the early Rolling Stones albums from 1964 such as 12x5 with its dirty, raunchy take on r&b. Essential 1964 for me!

Check this one out & let me know what u think...

12 x 5 by The Rolling Stones
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/31/2020 19:58
  • Post subject:
Don't think I don't love the Animals: It's My Life is about one of my favorite tracks of the sixties and there's many others: it's just that these album of British bands of that period are so difficult (see Yardbirds on 1965): the UK versions nearly never contains any "hits" and the US versions were very volatile. So that's also what I think of this Animals album: I couldn't really see it as a real album.
And the 12x5 is on my wishlist for a next round but I already know most tracks and I would be surprised if it wouldn't make it to my top chart.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/31/2020 20:11
  • Post subject: Post subject: Round 3: harder 1965
1965 is again a year where I already listened back and commented on most of the album already in my chart so here is again one from my wishlist:

Having A Rave Up by The Yardbirds
I suppose it's difficult to get it harder than this knowing that both Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton played on this album. It starts incredibly well with Mr. You're A Better Man, Evil Hearted You, Still I'm Sad and Heart Full Of Soul. But then the album turns into a hotchpotch of B-sides, live extracts and at fairly bad sound quality, so that part of the album kills it a bit for me but the first half is so good that it is certainly a good addition for my 1965 top chart.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/31/2020 20:56
  • Post subject: Round 3: harder 1966
And I suppose the obvious choice for harder albums of 1966 would be the many US garage bands with albums this year with bands like Monks (their 1966 album is already in my chart), The Remains, The Sonics and the Seeds and finally I chose for the last one.

The Seeds
(sorry for one reason or another I can't select the album The Seeds by The Seeds)
This is a real album which also feels like one so that's already a bonus. The hard edge is really there and it has some really good tracks like Can't Seem T Make You Mine, Evil Hoodoo and Pushin' Too Hard. A real good addition for my 1966 chart.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2020 10:34
  • Post subject: Re: Round 3: harder 1966
dihansse wrote:
And I suppose the obvious choice for harder albums of 1966 would be the many US garage bands with albums this year with bands like Monks (their 1966 album is already in my chart), The Remains, The Sonics and the Seeds and finally I chose for the last one.

The Seeds
(sorry for one reason or another I can't select the album The Seeds by The Seeds)
This is a real album which also feels like one so that's already a bonus. The hard edge is really there and it has some really good tracks like Can't Seem T Make You Mine, Evil Hoodoo and Pushin' Too Hard. A real good addition for my 1966 chart.

Love all of these! Very Happy

Psyched you dug The Seeds. One of my faves from that year too. You are cruising through these albums. lol.

I'm going to try & listen to that Yardbirds album today. Haven't heard it in a while.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2020 14:16
  • Post subject: Re: Post subject: Round 3: harder 1965
dihansse wrote:
1965 is again a year where I already listened back and commented on most of the album already in my chart so here is again one from my wishlist:

Having A Rave Up by The Yardbirds
I suppose it's difficult to get it harder than this knowing that both Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton played on this album. It starts incredibly well with Mr. You're A Better Man, Evil Hearted You, Still I'm Sad and Heart Full Of Soul. But then the album turns into a hotchpotch of B-sides, live extracts and at fairly bad sound quality, so that part of the album kills it a bit for me but the first half is so good that it is certainly a good addition for my 1965 top chart.

And of course, I like their non-studio stuff so much better. Like the stuff on the Shapes Of Things comp from Charly records. When they were just a raw & primitive r&b band like The Animals.

We just have different tastes which is pretty cool! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 06/01/2020 20:22
  • Post subject: Round 3: harder 1967
As we progress in the sixties, the music got louder...these are the albums I chose for 1967:

First an album I own:

Disraeli Gears by Cream
Strange Brew and especially Sunshine Of Your Love are real killers and show the way to harder music. Strange however that this album is also littered by a few clunkers like Blue Condition and Mother's Lament. But still an album that is standing proud in my 1967 year chart.

And then an album on my wishlist which is also supposed to be garage rock:

The Electric Prunes by The Electric Prunes
And indeed going on the track that everybody knows, I had Too Much To Dream (Last Night) you would think this to be a hard edged album and also Get Me To The World On Time is good on that front. But the rest of the album is so bad and so irritatingly childish that those two good tracks can't save the album. What a letdown.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 06/03/2020 20:04
  • Post subject: Round 3: harder 1968
1968 is one of those years where hardrock really started to find a base.
You can call Cream hard, you can call the albums of Deep Purple of Status Quo hard and you call SF Sorrow hard; but to me the two hard albums to select for this year are:

An album I already own:

Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Here Jimi Hendrix turned his guitar pyrotechnics into perfection. Combined with very good song writing this is one of those albums that cannot be called otherwise than real classics. Of course there is Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and All Along The Watchtower, but I now come to realise what a great track 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn Out To Be) is. This album rises deservedly to the 3rd place and only to the 3rd place because there are some less than great songs on it and because it's preceded by the White Album AAAAAAnd:

An album on my wishlist:

Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
Like a lot of people I only knew Summertime Blues from this band and album which is indeed one of the greatest songs ever and by many people called the first real hardrock song. But to my surprise all tracks on this album are very good. Of course they are long, trippy and hard (like every good stoner rock track) but they all have their own quality and the album (unlike a lot of its critics) never becomes boring. And this is one of those albums (with Summertime Blues as the best example) where the "bad" sound quality turns into a good quality. They don't make raw albums like this anymore. But of course Summertime Blues rules and remains one of the best covers ever. And this album immediately goes to the 2nd rank of 1968.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2020 20:49
  • Post subject: Re: Round 3: harder 1968
dihansse wrote:

An album on my wishlist:

Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
Like a lot of people I only knew Summertime Blues from this band and album which is indeed one of the greatest songs ever and by many people called the first real hardrock song. But to my surprise all tracks on this album are very good. Of course they are long, trippy and hard (like every good stoner rock track) but they all have their own quality and the album (unlike a lot of its critics) never becomes boring. And this is one of those albums (with Summertime Blues as the best example) where the "bad" sound quality turns into a good quality. They don't make raw albums like this anymore. But of course Summertime Blues rules and remains one of the best covers ever. And this album immediately goes to the 2nd rank of 1968.

Love
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 06/07/2020 16:58
  • Post subject: Round 3: harder 1969
For 1969 there is a lot of choice again but finally I chose these:

An album I already own:
I don't know a better hard album than this for the year although I suppose it's more punk than hardrock. But hard and a classic it is:

The Stooges by The Stooges
This album doesn't contain one but two absolute classics with two of the most classic riffs ever: No Fun and especially I Wanna Be Your Dog. But the whole album is a classic with an Iggy Pop and band at their most nihilistic but at their best as well. I Love this album and it rises from the 6th to the 5th rank of this important year in rock music.

An album on my wishlist:

Sea Shanties by High Tide
This is indeed a strange album: sometimes with the organ and the voice sounding like Jim Morrison, you hear the Doors, but certainly not in the first two and best tracks: there it's the fuzzed out guitar and violin which work together to create a full on jam atmosphere which make the album. Some of the songs near the end drag a bit but nevertheless a must hear album if you want to know about the origins of harder rock music. It ends up at the 22nd rank of the year.
  • Visit poster's website