Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/31/2020 23:32
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Like I said, I take back the Satyajit Ray statement

Sorry, didn't mean to pile on. Ritwik Ghatak's another well-regarded Indian director, but I haven't had a chance to see anything by him yet. Criterion recently released his most famous film, The Cloud-Capped Star (it was just added to the Criterion Channel, so I hope to watch it very soon). I still like the idea of a foreign-language poll -- the most likely international poll to get healthy participation, but if some are against it, it won't happen. I would count international silent films. Guess Studio Ghibli movies would be eligible too.

The only individual country lists I think are viable are France and England. In a French poll, Godard or Truffaut would come in first -- my money's on Breathless. Definitely not Bresson (who I love)!

There's hundreds of Japanese films from the 50s and 60s on the Criterion Channel -- if we could get people to watch some of those, Japan might work (kidding). Kurosawa would totally dominate it, just because his samurai films are so much more famous than Ozu, Mizoguchi, Oshima, Suzuki, Naruse etc.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2020 00:00
  • Post subject:
As I said earlier, I much prefer the idea of doing individual countries/cultural regions instead of "non-English." And maybe they wouldn't need to be official polls. Rather, there could just be threads dedicated to specific countries/cultural regions where users can discuss the cinema of said region, share personal lists, compare each other's lists, make recommendations, etc. And if it there's enough interest in them, then maybe turn them into an official polls?

But as of now, it certainly seems Best of the 2000s 2.0 is where the wind is blowing. Already two users who were not around for the first one have expressed interest. Plus it's been five years.

Beyond that, let's see what happens first. If it turns into redoing all the decades, that's certainly not the worst thing that could happen. If that idea burns out, then maybe go another direction such as the soundtrack idea or some form of non-English cinema. Again, wherever the wind blows.
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2020 00:04
  • Post subject:
You're the wind! I'm the wind! We're all the wind!! Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/01/2020 00:53
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
As I said earlier, I much prefer the idea of doing individual countries/cultural regions instead of "non-English." And maybe they wouldn't need to be official polls. Rather, there could just be threads dedicated to specific countries/cultural regions where users can discuss the cinema of said region, share personal lists, compare each other's lists, make recommendations, etc. And if it there's enough interest in them, then maybe turn them into an official polls?

I'd actually like to do that for albums Laughing I've thought about posting a thread like that for a while. Enjoying the German recs in that thread going right now.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2020 02:21
  • Post subject:
Okay I'm not gonna lie. Our original 2000-2009 list kinda sucks. I think we've come a long way when it comes to international cinema, so there are major improvements to make. Look at the mess of films ranked above In the Mood for Love (#42). Literally almost nothing above it is even in that film's league. At all. Hell they're not even a league below it. What were we thinking? Were we all in middle school 5 years ago?

Oh, and Nightcrawler is way better than Donnie Darko. Not sure what that comparison was about (pause... oh, Jake Gyllenhaal). The former was even more enjoyable on second viewing while the latter went from cool to uncool harder than just about any film I've ever seen the second time I saw it. Just my opinion but yeah, Nightcrawler is fire.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/01/2020 02:52
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I mean I'm def interested in re-visiting the 2000s the most (already seen a good number of films recently from the decade), I don't think it necessarily needs to "replace" the original list, but rather just get a new, interesting perspective from what's likely to be a somewhat different crowd, probably a lot of interesting choices at the top and not just a whole lot more Bong Razz. Just since I found the 2000s personally formative and was keeping up with a lot of the new releases (as well as first dipping into the classics) at that time,, it's interesting to see which films have really risen in stature and what previously popular or massively acclaimed films have fallen by the wayside. I don't really see re-doing every decade as necessary though (except mayyyybee the 90s... but mostly for selfish reasons cuz I remember not really participating that time around).

But yeah I'm also down for a non-english tournament sometime in the future, not necessarily individual countries cause I feel they could be a bit short-sighted as only focusing on films with healthy international releases. A more general one makes sense though.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2020 06:11
  • Post subject:
I find the near equal split of people wanting to do international vs people wanting to do specific countries/regions alarming. Hopefully the fact that we're eventually gonna have to do something half of us don't want to do wouldn't decrease participation. I just personally think that collectively we're too knowledgeable to not get specific with it. I know if I was to divide my highest rated films (my 9s and 10s) into groups of what is American and what isn't, there would be way more international films, probably twice as many. Plus think about how many more new recommendations we would get. If we just do international stuff its gonna be all the usual suspects, pretty much every film on the list will have been on a decade list, whereas if we do a specific country half of them will be making their first ever appearance on a BEA list and instead of there being 2 or 3 movies I've never seen there will be 20 or 30 at least. Are you guys who aren't wanting to do that aware that you don't have to make a top 100? And if you're not knowledgeable enough to do so its better that you don't so that the few people who have seen a hundred good movies from various countries (not trying to sound elitist because I don't think I've even seen 50 from any non US country aside from France, Italy and Japan, and the UK if that counts) have more valuable input to the final product.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/01/2020 14:53
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I'm not sure how hot a top 100 of everyones favourite films from Thailand would go. Things like that might be better off on personal lists.

Also, I made a chart. Best Films of The 2010s (2010-2019) by Hayden. I'll probably delete it eventually because it isn't terribly neat, but it's up for the meantime Smile. I'm trying to think of how to fill out the films missing...
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2020 16:29
  • Post subject:
Right. I don't think every country/cultural region would get 100 movies. Whatever number seems appropriate given the region's historical output. I also proposed the idea they don't need to be official polls, but rather simply having dedicated threads. At the same time, some folks may prefer one all-encompassing non-English project. I personally don't prefer that. But I don't see the point in debating this right now when our next project will be 2000s 2.0 anyway.

I have a response to badseed's 'our first 2000s list sucked' but I'll save it for whenever the 2.0 thread is posted.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2020 20:30
  • Post subject:
I mean if we can't do individual countries (I haven't seen enough movies from Thailand to even make a top 5, so that wasn't one of the first countries I would expect to be done) let's at least do it by continent. Europe and Asia would be alright I guess, but again a large portion of those lists (especially the top halves) would have already been talked about to death on here. Sounds boring and repetitive. Japan has all the big Criterion releases but there's also tons of horror. Ditto for Italy, while also having spaghetti westerns. I could literally name 100 French films I love off the top of my head in about 90 seconds. Idk. Yall will get bored one day and I'll just host them and you can play if you want.