Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2020 02:10
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
I sometimes can't tell if media is going berserk or if we just are all so fucked it is just the new normal. Sorry to hear it's global.

At this point we'd need a coin toss.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 06/01/2020 22:57
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
Needed to vent somewhere as I'm watching Sinn Fein make massive gains in the General Election back home. Their ideologies are economically unfeasible and could destroy the country, their real agenda is to push for a united Ireland and we're seeing convicted IRA members being elected to our parliament. I get that people want change, but these are not the guys to do it, yet blind romantacism and memes have won out. Surreal, I've lost a lot of faith in my country and its younger generations today, it's perfectly fine to vote with your heart in abortion and same sex marriage referendums, but this one needed a lot more thought than just uniting Ireland and more houses. Had to vent somewhere as anywhere Ireland related online has become a massive circlejerk. Genuinely disappointed considering how far we've come in the past few decades.

Man, Covid completely derailed this.

• Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/02/2020 18:25
  • Post subject:
This is one hell of a way to start a new decade. My lord.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2020 01:00
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
This is one hell of a way to start a new decade. My lord.
Tell me about it.

1. Trump gets acquitted from his impeachment trial (although that was a foregone conclusion).
2. Practically all of Australia was on fire.
3. Sanders had all the momentum going into the primaries, only to get whooped on Super Tuesday, from which he never recovered.
4. Coronavirus outbreak - Hundreds of thousands dead, worldwide recession, worldwide quarantine, loss of entertainment outlets (sports, concerts, movie theaters, etc).
5. And now this past week of protests and rioting.

...and 2020 isn't half over yet. It can get a lot worse (Ex. a potentially larger/deadlier second wave of COVID, Trump potentially winning re-election)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/03/2020 01:18
  • Post subject:
I'm stealing this from someone else, but it is kinda like the Spanish Flu x Great Depression x 60s Race Riots all squished into the same handful of months. Plus, Australia was on fire. And I hate saying it, but I think Hong Kong's going to lose... (last year I thought they would win...). Watching the world protest under a deadly health hazard sounds crazy fictional. I'm not even writing right now... just can't whip up anything as interesting as out the window or as tragic as a clip on the news.

I don't blame anyone for being tired. I'm not even sure where we'll go from here.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 06/03/2020 01:55
  • Post subject:
I just feel so jaded by everything. Sometimes angry and on the verge of tears, but mostly just numb and completely demotivated. And I say this as a straight white male from the UK. The systemic injustice(s) and the endless incompetence/negligence/wanton stoking of flames - on just about every major issue - by leaders on both sides of the pond is utterly demoralising. I can't even begin to understand how people of colour might feel, but I guess it's incredibly important right now to present a unified front against those trying to use the current situation for their own personal gains. The system is broken, it's been broken since its advent, and it needs changing. Unfortunately, the sheer relentlessness of the ills facing us, as a society, turns many - myself included, much of the time - away from hope and instead towards cynicism and skepticism, at the time when we can least afford for that to happen. It's all so incredibly fucked, and there just appears to be so far still to go.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2020 03:34
  • Post subject:
It's really quite incredible, the perfect storm that has occurred to create what is currently transpiring.

Normally, one of these things would be bad, but instead you have all of these happening at the same time.

a) The largest public health crisis the country has seen in over 100 years.
b) Everybody has been stuck inside their houses for the past 2 and a half months.
c) Greatest amount of unemployment in the US since the Great Depression.
d) The most egregious example of police brutality ever caught on film.

I won't say anything else on the matter, other than sometimes I really do feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Razz

(e)dit Oh yeah, the protests, while righteous and understandable, have also stalled the reopening of businesses and will most likely spread the virus further. That was the other thing I was going to add.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2020 07:40
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
It's really quite incredible, the perfect storm that has occurred to create what is currently transpiring.

Normally, one of these things would be bad, but instead you have all of these happening at the same time.

Yeah, the only year that comes close to this is 1968. Of course the pandemic and the country teetering on the precipice of a Great Depression makes 2020 exponentially worse in many ways. But the instability and paranoia of 1968 isn't to be underestimated either: the Vietnam War, the antiwar protests, Bobby Kennedy, the brother of a president assassinated 5 years earlier, getting assassinated two months after MLK while running for president, the rioting in 100 cities after MLK's assassination, the 1968 Democratic Convention.

While the lockdowns are a big deal, I'd probably fold them under a):

a) The largest public health crisis the country has seen in over 100 years.
b) The highest levels of unemployment in the US since the Great Depression & the threat of a Great Depression 2.0.
c) The most incompetent US president in history -- a former reality show star and small real estate company president -- happening to be in charge of the federal government during said largest public health crisis in over 100 years.
d) The most egregious example of police brutality ever caught on video & the resultant rioting.

It'd be impossible to imagine this if we weren't experiencing all of this unfolding in real time. 1968 seemed so exotic, a historical and sociological collision never to be repeated. Not anymore.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/03/2020 22:25
  • Post subject:
“History repeats itself, but in such cunning disguise that we never detect the resemblance until the damage is done.”
-- Sydney J. Harris
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 04:04
  • Post subject:
Can we just have like the rest of the world vote for president in the US so we don't have states like Alabama (and well shit, Utah too) ruin it for us come November?

It's sad - there's signs here in Utah asking Romney to step down (insert my thought... what, for having a spine?).

Haven't respected him more in my whole life. Well except when he took on Trump from the beginning, but that he's stayed basically true to that as well the past 4 years.

Also I just found out a sad statistic the other day, twice as many people who are murdered commit suicide worldwide.

Also I sure as hell hope that this worldwide revolt against police brutality incites worldwide and local governments to actually do something about police policy/training/funding for not following training, etc.
  • Visit poster's website