Star Wars Original Soundtrack (UPDATE)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2020 17:17
  • Post subject: Star Wars Original Soundtrack (UPDATE)
I found that this originally posted version of the Star Wars 1977 soundtrack has this expansive tracklist: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=4316

But the original version is shorter, and is the version I've heard, and has this separate tracklist: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?b=70488

The one I just posted represents the original release, while the first version added to BEA carries a very different and much longer tracklist. Should both be here, or should one of them be deleted? By preference, I'd prefer if the original 1977 soundtrack which I just added stays on BEA because I've heard that version. I'm not entirely sure what the policy is on releases. It seems to me like both are two very separate albums anyway.

Last edited by Spyglass on 06/05/2020 22:15; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2020 02:38
  • Post subject: Re: Star Wars Original Soundtrack
Spyglass wrote:
I found that this originally posted version of the Star Wars 1977 soundtrack has this expansive tracklist: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=4316

But the original version is shorter, and is the version I've heard, and has this separate tracklist: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?b=70488

The one I just posted represents the original release, while the first version added to BEA carries a very different and much longer tracklist. Should both be here, or should one of them be deleted? By preference, I'd prefer if the original 1977 soundtrack which I just added stays on BEA because I've heard that version. I'm not entirely sure what the policy is on releases. It seems to me like both are two very separate albums anyway.

The original release should be the release on the site.

Also while you bring this up, it's my greatest problem with the reboot of the "new" movies- it lacks the great music of the 4-6 ones... and I suppose the Sith theme from the 1st is very good too.

But Rey's theme is incredibly lame.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2020 03:07
Spyglass wrote:
I found that this originally posted version of the Star Wars 1977 soundtrack has this expansive tracklist:

But the original version is shorter, and is the version I've heard, and has this separate tracklist:

Technically, the later version should be deleted. But with lesser-known albums (and I'd include all movie score albums in this category), mistakes like this aren't that unusual.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/05/2020 09:41
The original release should always be listed on BEA (which is the release you've just added). The existing version on BEA was a re-release, so the album has been updated and merged.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2020 14:06
  • Post subject:
Sweet.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2020 20:19
  • Post subject:
Spyglass, I've argued this track-listing topic at least three times over the years. There are misleading tracklists on the site, but BEA doesn't care enough to change them [shrug].
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2020 20:23
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Spyglass, I've argued this track-listing topic at least three times over the years. There are misleading tracklists on the site, but BEA doesn't care enough to change them [shrug].

Oddly enough, I just came back to the forums 1 second after you posted.

Albummaster just changed the issue per my request and inquiry. It's likely that the problem is that BEA is short-handed and has more important things to worry about: site updates, bugs, and the ongoing discussion about genres.

I asked this question because I'm not very versed in BEA site policy.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2020 20:45
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Oddly enough, I just came back to the forums 1 second after you posted.

Albummaster just changed the issue per my request and inquiry. It's likely that the problem is that BEA is short-handed and has more important things to worry about: site updates, bugs, and the ongoing discussion about genres.

I asked this question because I'm not very versed in BEA site policy.
Maybe. Any user can add albums to the site, and edit details on an album already on the site, but they have to be approved by moderators to become permanent. The moderators are always busy approving new albums to the site and all their affiliated data (release dates, tracklists, cover arts, etc.), which has to be fact-checked. I see you have a ton of mod points, so you know how it goes. However, once an album's data has been considered correct, it's tricky to amend afterward from my experience. That's great you got this soundtrack album's info accurately updated but I can think of two other albums which I've attempted to edit the tracklists, only for them to get ignored. I understand, getting new albums onto site with accurate info is a much higher priority.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2020 22:09
  • Post subject:
Which albums?
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2020 22:17
  • Post subject:
Why was the image I uploaded changed? I used the right one, and now the image used for the Star Wars soundtrack has an obvious vinyl mark that distorts the picture. I already had a proper image like this:

EDIT: Was it a problem with merging the two albums? If that's the case, I'm reuploading the original image.