Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 06/21/2020 12:08
  • Post subject:
NoAlarms wrote:
Even though Run for Your Life stands on the shakiest of moral foundations, I don't this takes diminishes the face that the song is pretty decent sonically. While no doubt disgusting in sentiment, does this mean we can't enjoy it? Can we not enjoy Chuck Berry after his controversy and Michael Jackson after all the craziness he's delved into?

depends on how you can separate the art from the artist, and how much the art reflects the artist. E.g. I still have a hard time listening to 85% of R.Kelly's material.

PS: for the 1000th time, MJ's innocent! And it's still another topic than this

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/21/2020 12:17
  • Post subject:
Never really had a problem with separating from the artist but some artist do make the line kind of tough to swallow. I'm not sure where that line is musically for me, but in certain films I do feel like a uneasy motion sickness at times. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one example of this. Watching anything with Jeffrey Jones just tastes wrong though I have to remind myself that there are other people involved in the art and it wouldn't be fair to them to disregard it.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/22/2020 02:36
  • Post subject:
yeah I don't see the point in ressurecting contentious age-old album of the day threads, are we going to bring back old Naples' chart of the day? Yeesh

Anyways I love Rubber Soul, though admit the last song was always a weak link on an otherwise near-perfect 60s pop record. Admit it doesn't automatically make you a supporter of violence against women if you don't find the whole thing reprehensible by association, but the ressurecting argument is a strange and rather aggressive form of defense for that particular entry Confused
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2020 06:18
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Not sure why this is being resurrected...
theblueboy wrote:
not sure why this was suddenly resurrected...
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
yeah I don't see the point in ressurecting contentious age-old album of the day threads, are we going to bring back old Naples' chart of the day? Yeesh

Anyways I love Rubber Soul, though admit the last song was always a weak link on an otherwise near-perfect 60s pop record. Admit it doesn't automatically make you a supporter of violence against women if you don't find the whole thing reprehensible by association, but the ressurecting argument is a strange and rather aggressive form of defense for that particular entry Confused
What? The forums are meant to host friendly discussion/debate, aren't they? I totally see the point in resurrecting an album thread if a user had something new/different to say about it. Any album should be open for discussion/debate at any time, should make no difference if it's album of the day, so that was cool of DommeDamian to bring it up (even though I disagree with him). I don't get the Naples reference. I've seen his name mentioned on the forums, and I know he was a former user who was banned before I joined the site. But if his Chart of the Day was an interesting conversation, sure what the hell, bring it back.

Anyway, as for Run For Your Life, I stand by what I said before. It's a bad song, musically. The boring, repetitive tambourine, the one guitar chord, the monotonous drum beat, etc. It's hard to listen to. They put 0 effort into writing this song. The lyrics were hastily written too and don't mesh with the song's instrumentation at all. But I would argue the lyrics were probably the most interesting part of the song...and not in a good way. I agree the abusive lyrics were probably written as a joke reflecting a dark side of John's personality, but it was a tasteless unfunny joke at best. Rubber Soul has some really fine songs; it's too bad it ended on one the worst songs they ever recorded.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2020 02:49
  • Post subject:
^^^

Dude has all the right points.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 06/23/2020 11:35
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
theblueboy wrote:
not sure why this was suddenly resurrected...

What? The forums are meant to host friendly discussion/debate, aren't they? I totally see the point in resurrecting an album thread if a user had something new/different to say about it. Any album should be open for discussion/debate at any time, should make no difference if it's album of the day, so that was cool of DommeDamian to bring it up

Well, yeah I agree. The quotes of me and Baystate seem out of context. No worries though Smile