• Post subject:
I'm actually laughing at how mediocre it looks. Cool

• Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 06/23/2020 00:54
  • Post subject:
Yeah, that definitely doesn’t sound like my thing (not like most Ghibli is)

After thinking about my “recency bias” some more, though, I realized a big reason I so compulsively watch new movies is because I check RogerEbert.com several times a week, and when I see a 3.5-star movie on there, it’s very hard for me NOT to take it seriously. And with multiple 3.5 or 4-star films going on there every week, it’s hard for me not to continue thinking about new movies, especially since it feels like they have a “deadline” to be finished by the end of the year, while things like The Philadelphia Story will always be there to watch (or put off) later.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Holier than "X_Person"

United States

• Posted: 06/26/2020 18:43
  • Post subject:
After sorting through Rotten Tomatoes, Imdb, RYM and Letterboxd, I might have found a 2020 movie that could be five stars. I've put off 2020 movies for some time because notihng that exciting was coming out, and I didn't get a chance to watch Invisible Man in theaters. Apparently there's this 24 film called Minari. I typically trust A24. I know relying on the distributor means very little, but I have yet to find an A24 movie that people hated. And The Lighthouse is one of the 30 greatest movies I've ever seen, so hopefully we have a legendary 2020 film already and no one knows about it. With the rate movies are coming out these days, hidden gems are necessary.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=58336
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 06/27/2020 01:59
  • Post subject:
I've never followed film distributors or production companies before, but A24 has consistently released my favorite films over the past few years so I get excited whenever I see a trailer from them. In particular their horror films have really led the pack recently. Hadn't heard of Minari, but I'm really excited for The Green Knight, whenever it gets released. Just realized most of their films are on Netflix so I'm going to start watching through the ones I haven't seen.

Combing through the list of films they've released Tusk stands out as one that was just terrible. Got pretty bad reviews too. So they're not flawless but with their track record I'll watch almost anything they release.
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 06/28/2020 16:33
  • Post subject:
Looking at an old draft of Edgar Wright's top 1000, came across roughly 200 films that I neglected to rate on Letterboxd. This surely constitutes the overwhelming majority of my watched films that I hadn't yet rated. Some really exciting swap-ins will be happening in my own top 1,000 as well (somehow I forgot in this entire time to rate/include The Innocents which is a masterpiece).

EDIT: There is a grand total of ONE film in the old E.W. list I haven't seen; I haven't watched Victoria yet.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 06/29/2020 07:08
  • Post subject:
lol I just had a violently negative reaction to Climax. Sorry everyone, I don't get it. Total pile of shit in my books. I knew there was a reason I skipped it initially. "Gaspar Noé directs a bunch of screaming fits in the midst of a bad acid trip" is a perfect recipe for a 0/10 from me. This could even join my -1/10 list, but out of sympathy for the camera operator who had to shoot that 45 minute tracking shot, consider the 0 rating their penance.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2020 16:09
  • Post subject:
Haha. That's pretty much how I felt about Climax but I'm more favorable for its technical achievements. As somebody who mostly works on music video sets, I was in awe of that opening shot. The camera work (which had to be a jib or a crane), the dance choreography, the music, the lighting...great achievement to get it all right on one take. It could've taken days just for that single shot. However, when the characters stopped dancing and started talking, that's when Climax sucked. 2 1/2 stars.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 06/30/2020 16:13
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Haha. That's pretty much how I felt about Climax but I'm more favorable for its technical achievements. As somebody who mostly works on music video sets, I was in awe of that opening shot. The camera work (which had to be a jib or a crane), the dance choreography, the music, the lighting...great achievement to get it all right on one take. It could've taken days just for that single shot. However, when the characters stopped dancing and started talking, that's when Climax sucked. 2 1/2 stars.

That was entirely it for me. All this film had was technical flash and good dancers. I could've just watched videos on YouTube if I wanted that. The dance sequence and the following oner kinda made me relax a bit and think maybe I was in for a good time... but then the overhead sequence went on way too long and really took a lot of my energy. And then the rest happened, and it all just felt like depraved nonsense. I've decided that this film actually is a -1/10 for me, and it might have even managed to overtake The Florida Project AND The Murder of Nicole Brown Simpson. Just fucking terrible. I know I'm in a minority here but, again, Noé is nowhere near a favourite director of mine (he has one film that I'm swapping into my top 1,000, and only two others that I think are very good of the ones I've seen) and this is definitely my least favourite by far.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 07/01/2020 03:35
  • Post subject:
Hey uh guys

I've rated 4,999 things on Letterboxd, I also started Widows last night but was too tired to commit to it so I guess whenever I get a chance that's gonna be it

This is not a drill
  • Visit poster's website