Album of the day (#3512): Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2020 18:36
  • Post subject:
Ah, I see. I didn’t actually check, I was making an assumption. I can say that there was some kind of big shakeup in the rankings a few months ago and and a lot of rank score seems to have vanished. Even at the top...Zoso fell five places from 7 to 12, which was a massive drop. The albums in the 7-12 range were closely ranked, but they all seem to have lost about 50,000 rank score.

This album’s fall is probably related to that, and I’ve never figured out why all that rank score was purged.
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2020 18:54
  • Post subject:
Here's the thread where AM announced the algorithm change: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=22428

Basically charts older than 10 years always stopped contributing points, but now charts that aren't updated contribute less over time instead of going from full points to no points at the 10 year mark. So it's probably a combination of 10 year old charts not counting at all and not-quite-10 year old charts starting to contribute less. Either way it seems like the main proponents of this album added it to their charts back when the band was big and it hasn't gained many new fans since.
cestuneblague
O.K Elder Millenial

• Posted: 07/29/2020 19:06
  • Post subject:
Complete vanilla, a more expensive and polished ripping-off various revival movements that wasn't crazy inventive to start with, but also too competant and inoffensive to truly dislike in any geniune manner. It's just... there.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Holier than "X_Person"

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2020 19:15
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
How on earth to you put Fleet Foxes and this in the same sentence?

"Fleet Foxes is better than Sigh No More." There you go.

P.S. I haven't heard Sigh No More, but I've heard enough M&S.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=58336
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2020 19:16
  • Post subject:
I remember reading a long time ago that charts gradually lose weight over time if they're not updated. But I guess I hadn't seen that effect so pronounced until Sigh No More. But yes, I'm pretty sure BBS is correct. Looking closer at the album page, I see Sigh No More is on a ton of greatest albums charts that haven't been updated since 2011 to 2013.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=7549

Look at this chart: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=30020
This has Sigh No More at #1, but only gives the album 74 points instead of 100 because it hasn't been updated since 2018 (see the album page link above). Only two years. That goes to show how quickly charts lose weight, an incentive for active users to keep updating and stay on top of things.

As for Jameth pointing out some albums lost 50,000 points, uh...I guess that's also due to algorithm change. That's a shit ton of points, though. I wish LZ IV was still in the top 10, but oh well.
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 07/29/2020 21:21
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
Here's the thread where AM announced the algorithm change: https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=22428

Basically charts older than 10 years always stopped contributing points, but now charts that aren't updated contribute less over time instead of going from full points to no points at the 10 year mark. So it's probably a combination of 10 year old charts not counting at all and not-quite-10 year old charts starting to contribute less. Either way it seems like the main proponents of this album added it to their charts back when the band was big and it hasn't gained many new fans since.

Thanks! I missed that somehow.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2020 00:13
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Yes, please sigh no more...

How this and Fleet Foxes are anything anyone still chooses to listen to amazes me.

Blasphemy haha. Fleet Foxes are far better in every way, and really only share a genre with Mumford & Sons. That said, they are slightly overrated on here. Also I thought you were a fan of Father John Misty?
RoundTheBend
These, Antithese, Synthese

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2020 01:28
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Yes, please sigh no more...

How this and Fleet Foxes are anything anyone still chooses to listen to amazes me.

Blasphemy haha. Fleet Foxes are far better in every way, and really only share a genre with Mumford & Sons. That said, they are slightly overrated on here. Also I thought you were a fan of Father John Misty?

I don't think he really had any creative force in that group, but I could be wrong. I think Josh is 20 times better musically, but that's just me.

Fleet Foxes are just really bland to me, even if considered great by, well... everyone who posted here it seems? I feel like they are pretty luke warm, and actually it's only Josh's later work I like, which makes more sense, he probably had to get the Fleet Foxes out of his system to be any good (oh man I can't believe I thought that little alone left that there to be posted... I really should just be quite and just agree Fleet Foxes totally deserve a top 20 spot for the decade (I cry every time I see that...).
Spotify Playlists
Discogs
  • Visit poster's website