2020 albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/25/2020 17:54
  • Post subject:
I think there was a week last October where a bunch of people including Chromatics, Nick Cave, Danny Brown, Angel Olsen, Deceiver, Wilco, Portico Quartet and others released albums. That was even wilder.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2020 15:44
  • Post subject:
Does anyone else here like Danheim? They have a new album out.

https://danheim.bandcamp.com/album/skapanir
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2020 16:45
  • Post subject:

Only For Dolphins by Action Bronson

New Action Bronson album dropped yesterday too. His best in years, at least since 'Blue Chips 2' if not his best period. Unique production influences from various regional music. It's definitely worth a listen. I would imagine the unconventional production choices were inspired through all his traveling from Fuck That's Delicious on Viceland.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/26/2020 19:16
  • Post subject:
First thoughts:

The Ascension is a disappointment. It's decent and it landed on my 2020 chart, but it isn't nearly as good as the first single America promised. Not enough surprises, not enough diversity, it's like indietronica version of Carrie & Lowell but longer and more mundane, without the backstory. It's still pretty nice, but anything less than superb from Sufjan is a disappointment. (Thankfully I've not heard Aporia yet)

Shore is nice. Very chill, possibly a tad too long. I've heard Crack Up only a few times even though I liked it, and it seems Shore will be similar. I'll have a Fleet Foxes listening party sometime just to relisten to their last two.

Ultra Mono is a big disappointment. Joy As An Act Of Resistance was fantastic, and I didn't expect them to top it. I didn't even expect them to top Brutalism honestly, just to make another good, inventive Idles album. But it seems they lost the edge, the roughness and especially the songwriting chops that made their music so interesting. Without good music to back the message, they sound preachy and boring. There's several worthwhile tracks though.

All Thoughts Fly is exactly what I expected it to be. Not great, not terrible. It's AVH going for the full ambient sound, akin to the closing track of Dead Magic. Unfortunately, what made Dead Magic so great was the flow and the mix of ambient, neoclassical darkwave, ethereal wave, ambient pop and experimental elements. Also the relatively sparse use of vocals which were then really impactful when present. This one is all instrumental, so it obviously misses those highs created by Anna's great vocals. It's still a decent ambient album with several highlights.

Ohms is a huge surprise. The mix on this one is out of this world, every instrument sounds EXACTLY like it's supposed to. I though Gore was ok (a lot of people hated it), but I wondered if Deftones were still capable of writing great later career albums like Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan, which are lowkey AOTY candidates. Turns out Deftones can write excellent music. Which is not a surprise now that I think of it.

Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic is superb as expected. The Ocean haven't put a foot wrong yet, at least on those several albums I've heard. And this one is as grandiose and exciting as anything.

Surprisingly, Stygian by Atramentus, a late August album I've missed, is the winner of the day. Incredible funeral doom, and a second album in the genre that blew me away in 2020 (the other being Drown's Subaqueous). Deep growls were insane, the atmosphere spot on.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2020 02:17
  • Post subject:
Anybody play Streets of Rage 4?

Streets Of Rage 4 by Olivier Derivière

Soundtrack still rocks.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/28/2020 21:50
  • Post subject:
The Ascension isn't as brilliant as I thought it would be. It's pretty and perfectly mixed, but it's so long and it feels like every song is trying to do the same thing. Considering how fruitfull and outgoing Illinois was, I expected a collection of emotions to match its influences.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2020 02:46
  • Post subject:
I really don't like the new Toni Braxton. Every song is a reminder of the thousands of other songs just like it that I've heard.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/29/2020 12:50
  • Post subject:
New Serpent Column out tomorrow. For everyone who liked my nom in that 2019 tourney. https://serpentcolumn.bandcamp.com/album/kathodos

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
ledaero

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2020 20:29
  • Post subject:
I'm surprised there hasn't been further talk about Shore yet on this forum. I think it's a pretty stunning album, one of the year's absolute best. It's dense and it took me a handful of listens and some deep concentration to really click with it beyond it's masterful production sound, but it's really brilliant. Wrote an article on the album here, thought I'd share it if anyone wants to read my take on it.

https://www.samplethefeel.com/new-blog-...foxesshore
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/30/2020 15:27
  • Post subject:

The Invention Of The Human by Dylan Henner

i've been digging this since it was released last month. kind've been waiting for one of the other bandcamp geeks to add it to the db but finally caved and up'd it myself. this is a cool, abstract, experimental electronic thing similar-ish to holly herndon, i guess. moreso conceptually than sonically, but i think a few people here will enjoy.

from the bandcamp page:

Quote:
"The Invention of The Human" is designed as a response to the question "what makes us human?" The question has become increasingly important in this period of history, in that many of the answers aren't good enough. "Civilisation" could be one answer; but what good is civilization where there is so much misery within it? "Progress" could be another; but what good is progress without kindness and empathy to sustain it? Taking the thought of man's relationship with technology as a measure of humanity, I asked the computer "what do you think a human sounds like?", and with that I built this album of synthesised vocals, wondering if technological development can help explain what we are.
  • Visit poster's website