Best Films of The 90s [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 11/17/2020 05:04
  • Post subject:
Quote:

I wonder how many people rewatched/watched 90s stuff during the month and a half we had to compose our lists?

I remember watching a lot of early 90s stuff for the first time, mainly 'cuz I wasn't well-versed on that beyond kids movies and whatever I caught on cable, and the later 90s was more rewatches since I've seen a lot more, but some interesting new discoveries. I think La Bella Nouisance was my highest first-time watch entry

Anyhooz, realize I've never really come back to this poll after a quick glance right it when came out, but great as always. Again, more international and "art-film" heavy this time-around, but makes a good flipside of the original list, not necessarily better or worse. Looking back, I realize I'm never going to get behind The Shawshank Redemption and what makes it so life-affirming for a lot of viewers, and I really don't get the new cult around Leon, as I still find that film completely shallow and affected if a reasonably well-crafted action flick, I think Funny Games is the only one I genuinely despise on this list though (well, maybe also Life is Beautiful, but for completely opposite reasons), though I can certainly see what it does for other viewers. But, nearly all the new entries and the holdovers are really strong, overall captures a lot of different sides of the decade and great overall... though, but fn seriously no Dumb and Dumber? Shame on you

But yeah I can defintely see changing up or just contuining on a break for now, but would def be interested in revisiting the 80s and 70s, lots of hidden gems in that decade especially for the often-misunderstood former, but for a later time
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2020 06:47
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I wonder how many people rewatched/watched 90s stuff during the month and a half we had to compose our lists?
I watched 31 90s movies while the poll was open, all first-time watches. Would have liked to revisit some things but didn't [shrug].
cestuneblague wrote:
I think Funny Games is the only one I genuinely despise on this list though (well, maybe also Life is Beautiful...)
Interesting you should mention them. I love one of those, and hate the other.
cestuneblague wrote:
but fn seriously no Dumb and Dumber? Shame on you
Applause Thank you. D&D should have been represented. Unfortunately comedies in general didn't perform very well.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/17/2020 17:42
  • Post subject:
D&D isn't a good comedy. It's lowbrow mediocrity.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/17/2020 20:10
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
D&D isn't a good comedy. It's lowbrow mediocrity.

It's pretty charming. Some very likeable performances and memorable imagery. I don't love it - I probably missed out by a few years, age wise - but I can see why others do.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 11/17/2020 20:48
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Applause Thank you. D&D should have been represented. Unfortunately comedies in general didn't perform very well.

Ah my bad for not voting. To me it's an essential piece of 90s trash.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2020 04:17
  • Post subject:
I find D&D lowbrow excellence. I always appreciated how the film inverted comedy conventions. For one, the film has somewhat heavy stakes, as the plot revolves around a kidnapping and ransom payment gone wrong. But you easily forget all that, thanks to the chemistry and performances of the two leads, and their idiotic careless ways. Further, many comedies end with the main character winning a ton of money, or more commonly, with the main character(s) having a romantic resolution. But in D&D, they don't get the woman they spent the entire movie chasing, while they had a ton of money towards the end, but wasted it. D&D ends with them broke walking along a country road...not a typical comedy ending. It might have played as a downer if it hadn't been for the bus scene in the final seconds, one last gag that hilariously reinforced their charming stupidity. Of course, comedy is so subjective, it's impossible to debate.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/18/2020 04:57
  • Post subject:
I mean if it works for you, I just don't particularly like it even in league with other lowbrow flicks. Not my thing. In retrospect it also feels kind of ableist, but not as ableist as like Ace Ventura is transphobic.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2020 11:08
  • Post subject:
Hey, at least it’s not Green Book, and the characters are even named after Harold Lloyd.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2020 20:34
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
...the characters are even named after Harold Lloyd.
Ha, I didn't make that connection!
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/26/2022 00:07
  • Post subject:
Thinking bout doing another V2.0 one of these days? Those lists were always a lot of fun and a great tool for new discoveries, wonder how much it would differ further down the line.
  • Visit poster's website