22%
 22%  [4]
Total Votes : 18

kokkinos

• Posted: 02/14/2021 09:15
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Hopefully a third vote comes through eventually Laughing

Yeah, sure, I had already mentioned a few posts back that I'm voting 2017, it's just that I have this annoying tendency of delaying my votes for dramatic effect - well, not in this particular matchup, but you get the point. Anyway, this is almost an exact deja vu of the first round, where I also voted in favor of 2017, but this time the margin feels even more disappointing, your team was all-around great, though I have to say I'll try my best for the pattern to continue in the third round as well. Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/14/2021 15:54
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
I have to say I'll try my best for the pattern to continue in the third round as well. Twisted Evil

My team's prepping Cool

(I haven't actually decided my team yet... I've got an album and a single locked, and I'm having a hard time what route to go for the other two Laughing there's a lot I want to pick...)

Last edited by Hayden on 02/14/2021 16:32; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/14/2021 16:03
  • Post subject:
I've got to say that I preferred both of these years' respective Gameweek One teams, even taking into account my love of Midnight Marauders. That 2017 albums selection in Gameweek One was one of my favourite pairings of the tournament, and the margin of defeat was way too large. (Oddly enough, I prefer my team in this round to my team from last round, but may be alone in that judgement.) As much as I like Brick Body Kids..., I certainly preferred the Roc Marci and Quelle selections from last time, and this lojii & Swarvy album is... OK, I guess. I'm not entirely sure what it does that many other albums don't do better, or at least with more personality. It's a pleasant listen, but it certainly didn't grab my attention, or really carve out a distinctive style for itself. Similarly, I find that Masta Ace album super heavy-handed, and very inconsistent, with high highs but too many moments that just feel clumsy. Each team contains one single that I consider a masterpiece, and one that I'm relatively indifferent towards, but the one-two punch of Midnight Marauders + 'Passin' Me By' beats the Brick Body Kids... + 'Ain't It Funny' combo, and is enough to get my vote here.
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/14/2021 17:16
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I've got to say that I preferred both of these years' respective Gameweek One teams, even taking into account my love of Midnight Marauders. That 2017 albums selection in Gameweek One was one of my favourite pairings of the tournament, and the margin of defeat was way too large. (Oddly enough, I prefer my team in this round to my team from last round, but may be alone in that judgement.) As much as I like Brick Body Kids..., I certainly preferred the Roc Marci and Quelle selections from last time, and this lojii & Swarvy album is... OK, I guess. I'm not entirely sure what it does that many other albums don't do better, or at least with more personality. It's a pleasant listen, but it certainly didn't grab my attention, or really carve out a distinctive style for itself. Similarly, I find that Masta Ace album super heavy-handed, and very inconsistent, with high highs but too many moments that just feel clumsy. Each team contains one single that I consider a masterpiece, and one that I'm relatively indifferent towards, but the one-two punch of Midnight Marauders + 'Passin' Me By' beats the Brick Body Kids... + 'Ain't It Funny' combo, and is enough to get my vote here.

I also rank 2017's first round team a tiny bit ahead of its second round team. On the other hand, it was up againist a 1999 team I really liked (Mos Def's album is top-notch and ODB's single is top-top-top notch - by the way, did you at any point consider nominating his album instead? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that one.) and would have voted it myself weren't it for that Eminem single, something I can't say about this 1993 team despite its undeniable quality. That's why this time around the margin felt more disappointing.

Hayden wrote:

(I haven't actually decided my team yet... I've got an album and a single locked, and I'm having a hard time what route to go for the other two Laughing there's a lot I want to pick...)

Yeah, I've also reached a crossroad. Without revealing too much, I'm thinking it might be about time the whole "team chemistry" business goes out of the window as otherwise I will have to severely compromise individual quality, but I'm still trying to figure it out.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2021 21:14
  • Post subject:
Midnight Marauders: 4.5/5
SlaughtaHouse: 3.5/5
Passin' Me By: 4/5
Le Dernier Empereur: 4/5

1993 Total: 16/20

Brick Body Kids Still Daydream: 4/5
Due Rent: 3.5/5
Ain't It Funny: 4.5/5
Biking: 4/5

2017 Total: 16/20

Really great, close match. Tie goes to 1993 for slightly better albums.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/23/2021 09:15
  • Post subject:
1993 wins, 14-3.